• The KillerFrogs

TCU Baseball- The Saarloos Era

tcumaniac

Don’t know anything about this guy. Is the assumption he steps into the role that Saarloos previously had?

John DiLaura wasn’t a pitcher. Does Saarloos remain the primary pitching coach, even as head coach? Does John take over as recruiting coordinator?

Could someone more in the know provide some insight into the different roles of the coaching staff both from how the program is ran from an administrative and recruiting perspective to how actual practices take place. What’s a typical college practice look like? Are the pitchers often off doing their own thing while the rest of the team works through offensive and defensive drills?

Ron Swanson

Don’t know anything about this guy. Is the assumption he steps into the role that Saarloos previously had?

John DiLaura wasn’t a pitcher. Does Saarloos remain the primary pitching coach, even as head coach? Does John take over as recruiting coordinator?

Could someone more in the know provide some insight into the different roles of the coaching staff both from how the program is ran from an administrative and recruiting perspective to how actual practices take place. What’s a typical college practice look like? Are the pitchers often off doing their own thing while the rest of the team works through offensive and defensive drills?

DiLaura was a catcher at Michigan

From what I understand…

Kirk is HC and handles pitchers
Bill is assistant coach and handles offense
DiLaura is defense/catchers coach and recruiting coordinator

Punter1

I think it's great we have a former catcher on full-time staff...

Catchers make great coaches IMO...they know how to handle pitchers and obviously know how to hit. Guys like Joe Torre, Joe Girardi, Joe Maddon, Mike Scoscia (sp?), etc and now David Ross just seem to have an instant knack.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yogi Berra?
Back in the day, Yogi was the Astros bench coach. I believe his job was to sit in the dugout and dispense wisdom and humor, and if that was indeed his job, he was wildly underpaid. Those Astros teams were young, and kept pretty loose by a steady stream of laughs.

One of the guys who kept up with Yogi joke-wise was Casey Candaele, a guy who bounced around in the Minors for a long time, with occasional stops in the Bigs. As I was typing this, I did a quick search on him and found that he is managing the AAA affiliate for the Expos. I'll bet that is a loose dugout...