• The KillerFrogs

TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine now just TCU!

TCUdirtbag

Excellent. Needless to say, this is a big deal.

Honestly always hoped TCU would acquire other components of UNTHSC, too, and though that ship probably just sailed this is the biggest asset. With an an elite nursing program and now a fully-stood-up MD program, we have some cache to launch other programs down the line if we want.

I would expect some facilities announcements in the near future. Land has been acquired.

Last edited:

froginaustin

What does UNTHSC get out of this deal?
I had the impression that they wanted an MD school in their system.
Did someone make University of North Texas an offer it couldn't refuse?
Too much of a financial burden for a multi-campus, State supported university system?
Odd that University of North Texas would simply walk away if that's what it did. That's what the announcement makes it sound like, to me anyway.

Dogfrog

Too much of a financial burden for a multi-campus, State supported university system?
Odd that University of North Texas would simply walk away if that's what it did. That's what the announcement makes it sound like, to me anyway.
Presumably they keep their DO certification. They were never certified for MD which is why TCU entered, as I understand it.

Money (TCU $$ and long-term savings for University of North Texas). Turns out they didn't really want to add the MD program and we really wanted it all to ourselves (though this was somewhat the plan the whole time).

tcudoc

This is big news. The collaboration was sure to get clumsy (for reasons beyond the terrible acronym). Any time you have different leaders at two different organizations trying to collaborate to make one cohesive program, it is a set up for trouble. I am happy to hear this announcement. Now, to finagle an academic appointment there so I can get me some TCU business cards...

TCUdirtbag

Money (TCU $$ and long-term savings for University of North Texas). Turns out they didn't really want to add the MD program and we really wanted it all to ourselves (though this was somewhat the plan the whole time).

Yep. I wouldn’t say this was always the inevitable outcome. But it was always a very realistic potential short term outcome that came to fruition.

The partnership was always heavily in favor of TCU as the degree-granting institution and the leading financial backer. UNTHSC had personnel (faculty) and facilities to help TCU get it off the ground quickly. UNTHSC’s partnering with TCU to open shop quickly helped keep another state system from moving into the FW marketplace (devil you know that’s already in your back yard vs. devil you don’t). It was a win-win that served both schools’ interests. But the need for the partnership really ran its course. In the end TCU really already controlled this thing, and now UNTHSC is free to focus on their other schools without having to match the financial investment TCU wants to make.

TCUdirtbag

Wish TCU had been interested in/willing to/able to buy the Texas Wesleyan law school years ago and keep A&M out of Fort Worth....TCU, TCU School of Medicine, TCU Law School....What a trifecta that would have been....

The Basses bailing out Wesleyan to kill the prospective deal with TCU is one of the best things that happened to TCU so far this century.