• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: TCU tuition to increase in upcoming year

Brog

Remember when Texans not in the Top 1% could afford TCU? Those were the days.
When I started, tuition was $15.00 a semester hour, or $450 for the year. But then gasoline was .24 cents a gallon, bread fifteen cents a loaf, school teachers average salary $3,200 a year. If you got a job on campus, it paid .35 cents an hour to help you along the way. But there was no cure for polio, and a number of our classmates got it. But also no one had ever heard of LBGTQIA+ either. So was it a better world?

Last edited:

Eight

When I started, tuition was $15.00 a semester hour, or $450 for the year. But then gasoline was .24 cents a gallon, bread fifteen cents a loaf, school teachers average salary $3,200 a year. If you got a job on campus, it paid .35 cents an hour to help you along the way. But there was no cure for polio, and a number of our classmates got it. But also no one had ever heard of LBGTQIA+ either. So was it a better world?

tell us about the scurvy outbreak when the dining hall couldn't get citrus fruit in the winter and tang hadn't been invented yet

Wog68

It was up to $25 an hour when I started. I calculated once that my entire cost for 4 years was slightly less that $10K. Now, during my senior year I had to eat the "Student Special" at El Chico's most days to get by.

allclearforfrogs

Are you prejudice?

An-Cap Frog

Uphill both ways...

Brevity Frog

In the world of tuition price hikes right now, 6% is at the top. I imagine the trustees knew they had some leeway given the inflationary environment and near universal expectation of an increase.

Regarding the California kids, the fact is, schools like TCU need large percentages of students who pay full freight or near full freight. There are not as many Students from families of means in Texas, with high enough marks, who are willing to pay that. But these California families are. That’s my read of the situation anyway

Wexahu

So $1,904 per hour? Is that math right? Unbelievable.

A parent making $150k/year would basically have to spend about 75% of their after-tax income to send a kid to TCU. I know there is aid for such situations, but how much aid would one get with $150k of income to make it even remotely financially feasable.

tcudoc

We should have a multi page thread about how TCU is not affordable any more for the middle class or even the moderately wealthy and that none of us can send our kids there because of cost. We can lament the good old days when it wasn’t only the top 3-5% for income or the very poor on full scholarship who could realistically attend TCU.
Rinse and repeat every year. At least it did not rise commensurate with the inflation rate. At least, I don’t think it did.

Wexahu

We should have a multi page thread about how TCU is not affordable any more for the middle class or even the moderately wealthy and that none of us can send our kids there because of cost. We can lament the good old days when it wasn’t only the top 3-5% for income or the very poor on full scholarship who could realistically attend TCU.
Rinse and repeat every year. At least it did not rise commensurate with the inflation rate. At least, I don’t think it did.
By the time the fall semester starts, it will have risen more than inflation.

I like your idea.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Every year like clockwork.

I am guessing that you are 90+ years old and I appreciate you participating here with good clear thought for perspective.

Last edited:

LVH

All those new buildings and more DEI staffers to give struggle session seminars aren't going to pay for themselves!