• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: TCU begins $2M renovation to surface of football practice field

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I don't know, but if it's $70-80k per year (and it will be by the time my kids are in college the way its trending) they won't be going to TCU unless they have a substantial scholarship. I don’t know, maybe CC and then transfer to a good 4-year State school, that seems to be the best bang for the buck. That's just the way it is and I imagine it’ll be, I’m not wealthy and I don’t have a big inheritance coming my way.
Like Ohio State?

froginaustin

I remember . . .

when the first Astroturf field was installed in the stadium, and not on some practice field, the University spent IIRC $460,000. Practice fields were covered with "grass" that included some pretty nasty stickers, just like the practice fields at my high school at the time.

TCU had to have the plastic-over-hard-surface fake grass, because UTx had it and everyone else was getting it.

You didn't have to be an athlete or even a football expert to wonder what the hell was going on-- that surface was hard and absolutely unyielding. A turribad place to play football. And that was checking it out when the weather was cool, not on a 95 degree September afternoon.

If I would wish anyone rotting-in-Hell, the salesmen that convinced colleges that the original Astroturf was a good surface for playing football would be among them.

nwlafrog

I remember . . .

when the first Astroturf field was installed in the stadium, and not on some practice field, the University spent IIRC $460,000. Practice fields were covered with "grass" that included some pretty nasty stickers, just like the practice fields at my high school at the time.

TCU had to have the plastic-over-hard-surface fake grass, because UTx had it and everyone else was getting it.

You didn't have to be an athlete or even a football expert to wonder what the hell was going on-- that surface was hard and absolutely unyielding. A turribad place to play football. And that was checking it out when the weather was cool, not on a 95 degree September afternoon.

If I would wish anyone rotting-in-Hell, the salesmen that convinced colleges that the original Astroturf was a good surface for playing football would be among them.

I remember stepping onto astro turf about 10 years ago for pre game. Coach hit a laser and I took it to the side of the knee cap. Didn’t think I’d ever walk again. Holy hell! I just remember expecting to field the ball like I was on grass like I had done my entire life. Big nope on that, I was way wrong. Still gives me nightmares when I remember the embarrassment of laying in the basepath in that tournament in front of my teammates on what seemed like a routine ball.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I remember . . .

I arrived campus Aug 77. As I recall, it was called Tartan Turf but you are right — hot, hard & unforgiving and I was just a drummer, Not a 275 pound plus football player.

stbrab

A good friend of mine played for the Frogs in the early 80s. He's told me many times about how bad it was...the heat of the field, how hard it was(like concrete, which it was), and the carpet burns from hitting the turf. I don't envy anyone who played back then.

Surfrog

I don't know, but if it's $70-80k per year (and it will be by the time my kids are in college the way its trending) they won't be going to TCU unless they have a substantial scholarship. I don’t know, maybe CC and then transfer to a good 4-year State school, that seems to be the best bang for the buck. That's just the way it is and I imagine it’ll be, I’m not wealthy and I don’t have a big inheritance coming my way.

I pray the tuition bubble burst by that time. It's stupid how much it has risen. FWIW, look for duel credit being offered instead of AP classes in high school. I know someone who was able to graduate with a bio degree after just two years because of the amount of dual credit they had.

Last edited:

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon

Like Ohio State?

693A1949-F9E2-4405-9A4B-F400212AA887.gif

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
A good friend of mine played for the Frogs in the early 80s. He's told me many times about how bad it was...the heat of the field, how hard it was(like concrete, which it was), and the carpet burns from hitting the turf. I don't envy anyone who played back then.
During a Band practice back on the old astroturf in the early 80's, many of the kids shoe soles melted to the turf. They were literally stuck and had to have their shoes peeled off the turf. On gameday we all sat in the stands and giggled at the clear evidence of the melted shoe soles where the kids were standing during the practice drill.

Of course, it wasn't nearly as funny later when I got to know a few of the players and noted the turf rash/burns on their arms and elbows. "When will those heal up?"

"December."