• The KillerFrogs

TCU’s ROI

Some people are too fanatical about their football. This country is full of similarly priced National Liberal Arts Colleges that are division III athletics. They are smaller, but that is what the TCU undergraduate experience is more akin too versus a major university. Texas has Southwestern University and Trinity University. Other states have more Liberal Arts Colleges per capita than Texas. And there are universities like Gonzaga, again similar pricing. All priced too high, but large public universities are priced too high too and are a lesser experience for undergraduate study. It is a bit embarrassing to hitch the quality of the TCU experience to successful football rather than the academic tutelage and small private college camaraderie.

Last edited:

ticketfrog123

Here's the data:

Acceptance Rate By Year
TCU
  • 2016-2017: 37.6%
  • 2017-2018: 41.1%
  • 2018-2019: 40.7%
  • 2019-2020: 47.2%
SMU
  • 2016-2017: 48.9%
  • 2017-2018: 48.8%
  • 2018-2019: 51.2%
  • 2019-2020: 47.3%
This is embarrassing - why did academics shoot themselves in the foot and start having a Baylor level of admission standards (not much)

Brog

This is embarrassing - why did academics shoot themselves in the foot and start having a Baylor level of admission standards (not much)
You mean it is embarrassing that we have a more selective rate than SMU does? Maybe you would explain how this is embarrassing for us.

smufrogger

It’s not just the athletic department. The school has changed. Hard for me to imagine myself and most of my friends from back then ending up at TCU today. That and the absurd cost is why my middle daughter is at A&M.
A&M is an infinite far better value on cost - to academic- to athletic value- job opportunities thereafter.

Rabidfrog

Here's the data:

Acceptance Rate By Year
TCU
  • 2016-2017: 37.6%
  • 2017-2018: 41.1%
  • 2018-2019: 40.7%
  • 2019-2020: 47.2%
SMU
  • 2016-2017: 48.9%
  • 2017-2018: 48.8%
  • 2018-2019: 51.2%
  • 2019-2020: 47.3%
thanks, and this is helpful, but the data does not tell us the kind of students (acdemically) who were accepted or rejected. No saying or implying anything by this, but statistics sometimes hide as well as reveal.

Pharm Frog

thanks, and this is helpful, but the data does not tell us the kind of students (acdemically) who were accepted or rejected. No saying or implying anything by this, but statistics sometimes hide as well as reveal.

Precisely…you read the “Legacy and Athlete Preferences at Harvard” study?

steelfrog

Tier 1
It’s not just the athletic department. The school has changed. Hard for me to imagine myself and most of my friends from back then ending up at TCU today. That and the absurd cost is why my middle daughter is at A&M.
Yep steel has had 5 kids go through college process. So far. Not one has expressed any interest in applying to TCU although they’ve all grown up attending tcu games.

One attended UT, one ncst, 2 A&M and latest one applied to UT, A&M, UTD and Arkie

Moose Stuff

Yep steel has had 5 kids go through college process. So far. Not one has expressed any interest in applying to TCU although they’ve all grown up attending tcu games.

One attended UT, one ncst, 2 A&M and latest one applied to UT, A&M, UTD and Arkie
I assume this is mostly because they want to get away from steel. I have high hopes for the one who went to NC St. Seems like a really smart kid.

As a 1956 graduate, innumerable innovations have transpired throughout the University.

The most
incredible being the transformation of the 1950's campus into the stunningly

beautiful campus that exists today. Even though our 1950's facilities may have lacked

the current ambiance, I spent four gloriously happy, unforgettable years of my life there.:cool:

Diehard

Small expensive private universities need to attract students through excellent academics and through the excitement of excellent athletics.

I’m an old. I paid $1800 per year tuition at TCU. This was a time when TCU was in the SWC but really sucked at football. Our admin was thrilled to be in the SWC, believing this notoriety attracted applicants. The year I entered, TCU did not fill its freshman year allotment (probably how I got in). And TCU admin believed our conference affiliation was forever.

The only real notoriety we received was as losers. TCU admin never seemed to understand that. But the Big 12 understood it and walked away from us in 1996.

What Patterson has brought us helped make everything possible. Including the beautiful, practically new campus. I will be forever grateful to Gary for the true notoriety he has brought to my alma mater. And IMO he has earned every penny he has been paid.

But a small expensive school like TCU cannot afford to take a step back.
Yep, all well said. I became a fan when I was at Paschal. My freshman year at TCU was 1967 and yes tuition for four years was about the cost a nice car today. I remember like it like was yesterday. The football jokes about the Frogs. "The fumbling, bumbling Frogs" a lot of my friends called them. New coaches, from Wacker to Fran to GP along with a new attitude from the board of trustees and administration changed everything. And Gary took advantage of it. He has done and continues to do a lot for TCU and the community. I just hope he can exit gracefully however and whenever that happens.