• The KillerFrogs

Tailgating/Cell Signal Question

dasboot1234

I have a question concerning setting up a TV for the game this coming weekend for anyone who thinks they can help.  We have a group that will be tailgating in the smaller of the two lots north of the stadium.  Most are not planning on purchasing tickets so we would like to set up a TV to view the game. 

Unfortunately it appears the game will be on ESPN2 which I'm fairly certain cannot be picked up on an HD antenna.  As of now, my plan is to stream the game on my phone which will be hooked up to our TV.  My question for y'all is will I be able to pick up and maintain a reliable LTE and/or 4G signal throughout the entirety of the the game?  I am a bit worried that with so many people in and around the stadium the surrounding towers will be overloaded which could lead to a spotty signal at best.

I also read that there is wifi throughout the stadium, does anyone know if reaches to the surround parking lots?  If so I figured I might be able to tie into that network and we can stream the game that way.  Has anyone had any success use a similar streaming set up at their tailgate this season?  For instance, I know y'alls Arkansas game was on ESPN which would have presented the same problem.

Thanks in advance and best of luck come Saturday, if the game is anything like last season we are all in for a treat.

Long Time Lurker

All I know is you don't need a TV cause the game is live inside the stadium. I figured I say it before the ones that are really bothered by party going tailgaters attacked you.

Edit...wait a minute...which team will yor tailgate be cheering for?

dasboot1234

Haha I fully expected a few comments along those lines...  I am a Tech grad but I live here in Fort Worth, we should have about a 50/50 balance of TCU and Tech fans in our group.

Pharm Frog

dasboot1234 said:
I could be mistaken, but I do not believe that ESPN2 is accessible via rabbit ears or newer HD antennas.
Just trying to be helpful. Rabbit ears and HD antennas get me everything I want and more in sports viewing

Evlo59

I have done this and it's easier to do when there are less people jamming the signal. It is relatively impossible the closer to game time it gets. There is just too much noise to get a solid feed from your phone.

B

Backup Waterboy

dasboot1234 said:
I have a question concerning setting up a TV for the game this coming weekend for anyone who thinks they can help.  We have a group that will be tailgating in the smaller of the two lots north of the stadium.  Most are not planning on purchasing tickets so we would like to set up a TV to view the game. 

Unfortunately it appears the game will be on ESPN2 which I'm fairly certain cannot be picked up on an HD antenna.  As of now, my plan is to stream the game on my phone which will be hooked up to our TV.  My question for y'all is will I be able to pick up and maintain a reliable LTE and/or 4G signal throughout the entirety of the the game?  I am a bit worried that with so many people in and around the stadium the surrounding towers will be overloaded which could lead to a spotty signal at best.

I also read that there is wifi throughout the stadium, does anyone know if reaches to the surround parking lots?  If so I figured I might be able to tie into that network and we can stream the game that way.  Has anyone had any success use a similar streaming set up at their tailgate this season?  For instance, I know y'alls Arkansas game was on ESPN which would have presented the same problem.

Thanks in advance and best of luck come Saturday, if the game is anything like last season we are all in for a treat.

We have done this for every game this year. It gets a little spotty right before the game but the ESPN app works better than the Fox app for reception. As long as you are not right next to the stadium when game is going on it should be fine.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
There will be a packed house plus spill over in the tailgate areas for this game, so I expect an hour or so before the game your data reliability will drop and during the game you'll be lucky to perform a Google search. However, those mobile DTV and Dish setups seem to work well.

TCUdirtbag

Ron Swanson said:
I've never tried it, but I can't imagine that streaming via a cellphone network will be reliable around the stadium.
Thinking the same. And the stadium wifi definitely won't reach to Lot 4.

T-Ray

I have tried to stream every way possible from lot 4 and its not going to work.  Satellite is really your only option for an ESPN2 game.

PurplePutt

I streamed the Texas @ OSU game on AT&T using my phone as a hot spot from lot 3 before the OU game. Worked great. But that was an 11 AM game and the TCU game didn't start until 4.

Evlo59

PurplePutt said:
I streamed the Texas @ OSU game on AT&T using my phone as a hot spot from lot 3 before the OU game. Worked great. But that was an 11 AM game and the TCU game didn't start until 4.
Yes I did the same.  I got a perfect feed until the 2:30 game started and nothing for the TCU game.  I just purchased this setup as I just switched to Directv ( https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-Mobile-Portable-Satellite-Tripod/dp/B00XKETIEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477333202&sr=8-2&keywords=directv+portable+satellite+dish )  by all accounts the reviews are pretty positive.  Come see me in space 54 of Lot4 for reviews.  This set up is much cheaper than the tailgater or winegard satellite

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
I stream on iPads and Tv's using att phone and Verizon I pad and it works until about 30 mins before kickoff, during the game I can barely text using the stadium wifi. Only truly reliable thing is satellite

Dr. Coach Haus

evlo59 said:
Yes I did the same.  I got a perfect feed until the 2:30 game started and nothing for the TCU game.  I just purchased this setup as I just switched to Directv ( https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-Mobile-Portable-Satellite-Tripod/dp/B00XKETIEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477333202&sr=8-2&keywords=directv+portable+satellite+dish )  by all accounts the reviews are pretty positive.  Come see me in space 54 of Lot4 for reviews.  This set up is much cheaper than the tailgater or winegard satellite
I may need to contact you for that as well. I'm only 11 spots away

ifrog

You could download the Sling TV app and cast the game from your iPhone or Android to your tv via a free app such as Google Cast or TV Cast. Sling TV would be free for your first month and the Cast app is free. You just need a Chrome stick to complete the connection. All of this depends on the internet connection which is unreliable at best during games. You will not get ESPN2 from an HD antenna, I'm 100% sure of that