• The KillerFrogs

Strollers and Baseball Games

Double V

I had the 2 year old on my shoulders. If I let him walk down the sidewalk along Bellaire he'd have been playing chicken with cars as soon as his feet hit the pavement.

I've addressed that with the athletic department before and haven't been scolded for it in over a year. They said it's a safety concern to carry your kid on your shoulders. I said it's a safety concern to have him walk on his own and get trampled by a crowd of people who can't see him or have him slip his hand out of mine and run off through a crowd where he can't be found. Nobody ever said they'd change the policy, but I haven't had an issue at AGCS, Schollmaier, or Lupton this year and I've done it every game.
Wait, there was a time when they told people not to carry their kids on their shoulders? I must have missed that one...

HToady

I think your issue is not with the stroller per se, but the arbitrary changing of the rules without providing any notice. I know that AGCS has prohibited strollers as a policy, since I have encountered it. I carry a bicycle lock for such unknown changes.

I don't know how you watch 3 by yourself, when it takes at least 2 adults to watch my 1.....

Punter1

I would bet after this post, and Purp's email, there will be a clarified position on strollers for next weekend's series...if not the mid-week game. We appear to have a very responsive athletic department when it comes to these matters. I darning hope.

Because darning with parents of (multiple) babies/infants/small children should be a crime punishable by death....

Froglaw

I think your issue is not with the stroller per se, but the arbitrary changing of the rules without providing any notice. I know that AGCS has prohibited strollers as a policy, since I have encountered it. I carry a bicycle lock for such unknown changes.

I don't know how you watch 3 by yourself, when it takes at least 2 adults to watch my 1.....

I park in Lot 4 for football games.

Two seasons ago the fans had two exit to the east lanes.

Late game (either Baylor or ut) a FWPD Officer decided to make it a single lane and chewed my Ashcroft for turning as we had been told for the previous 30 or so home games.

All we can ask for is consistency in each season.

Purp

Wait, there was a time when they told people not to carry their kids on their shoulders? I must have missed that one...
Yes. I've had it happen at AGCS, Schollmeier, and Lupton. The last time it happened at Lupton I lost it. We were walking to the LF gate from Lot 13 and the parking lot attendant taking parking passes told me I couldn't have my son on my shoulders b/c it was unsafe. I gave her all the reasons why it was safer for him to be up there than walking himself and she said I'd have to be removed by police if I didn't comply. It's just remarkable to me that event staff would threaten to have police remove you for carrying a small child on your shoulders. What kind of darned up world do we live in where people think it's any of their darning business to tell you what's best for your child unless you're committing crimes against them.

But I digress. You got me fired up all over again. I ended up taking him off my shoulders to walk past her. We got about 20 yards away and he went right back up. I have a low level of tolerance for idiocy.

tcudoc

Yes. I've had it happen at AGCS, Schollmeier, and Lupton. The last time it happened at Lupton I lost it. We were walking to the LF gate from Lot 13 and the parking lot attendant taking parking passes told me I couldn't have my son on my shoulders b/c it was unsafe. I gave her all the reasons why it was safer for him to be up there than walking himself and she said I'd have to be removed by police if I didn't comply. It's just remarkable to me that event staff would threaten to have police remove you for carrying a small child on your shoulders. What kind of darned up world do we live in where people think it's any of their darning business to tell you what's best for your child unless you're committing crimes against them.

But I digress. You got me fired up all over again. I ended up taking him off my shoulders to walk past her. We got about 20 yards away and he went right back up. I have a low level of tolerance for idiocy.
They should just set up vaccination clinics in the parking lots too...
I hope I have triggered the anti-vaxers.

HFrog1999

I’d just reply that since I’m walking and not parking a car, I’m out of her jurisdiction.

jake102

They should just set up vaccination clinics in the parking lots too...
I hope I have triggered the anti-vaxers.

We just found out our new friends who we've known for 4-5 months now are anti-vaxers. Their 1.5 yo has never been vaccinated and they basically don't go to a doctor.

HFrog1999

We just found out our new friends who we've known for 4-5 months now are anti-vaxers. Their 1.5 yo has never been vaccinated and they basically don't go to a doctor.

The next time you see them use a red pen to put fake pox rash on your face and arms

hgvRnc.gif

WhatTheFrog

Back on topic, I think baseball games are the LEAST offensive venue for strollers, especially if you are in the GA area. There are lawn chairs that take up more space than a stroller, and I'm a fan of allowing lawn chairs in the GA area.

I get the "child on the shoulders" argument, though I don't agree with it. Unfortunately, we live in a litigious society. If some careless parent (or wild-arse child) caused the child to fall off of his/her parent's shoulders, the parent might find it prudent to sue the university for owning property that caused the child to hurt himself/herself for falling on it.

@Froglaw, that's one of the many reasons I no longer park in Lot 4. Another is that I did not have the room that you are afforded by having a spot next to grass in which you can "sprawl out". I couldn't have anything extend beyond the Fire Lane, so my canopy basically shaded my pickup and we grilled and sat in the blazing Aug-Oct sun. My new spot is awesome, and less than half of what I paid for that spot. It's about the same walk and I don't get points for parking anymore, but I'm good with that. I'll try to edit later with pics.