• The KillerFrogs

Squash the Squat!

HornyWartyToad

Super Bowl-contending Buffalo Bills cut squats from their workouts during the season — and trainers say that may explain why they're the least-injured team in the playoffs​

We'll know if Frogs are any good next year by monitoring squat counts during the season. . . I bet Gary is a squatter.

"The Buffalo Bills are campaigning for their first Super Bowl title in the NFL playoffs, and their health and conditioning has set them apart from the rest of the league. Avoiding one common exercise in the training room might be a big reason why."

“Durability is as important as ability.” Coaches have long stated some form of that thought. Yet it seems as if injuries have increased across decades. Maybe bodies are out of balance—too wound up, and parts then snap. I tire of them impacting my teams and this is one reason I am losing interest.

Last edited:

Shorty

But he hasn't squatted at all during the football season since coming to Buffalo as a first-year pro — instead, he does power cleans, deadlifts, hang cleans, and bench press as their in-season strength training routine. They leave squats for the offseason, Rousseau said.
Interesting concept and less strength training overall may be the key because I don't know how the squat specifically would avoid injuries that deads and cleans would not.

LVH

We did not have squats on our workout cards during the season when I was at TCU, at least I don't remember squats being on there

Brog

“Durability is as important as ability.” Coaches have long stated some form of that thought. Yet it seems as if injuries have increased across decades. Maybe bodies are out of balance—too wound up, and parts then snap. I tire of them impacting my teams and this is one reason I am losing interest.
But I'm glad you're still interested enough to post here. Your comment is right on.

Spike

We did not have squats on our workout cards during the season when I was at TCU, at least I don't remember squats being on there

How deep did they make you go? Did you break parallel as required for powerlifting? I've always questioned the heavier weight partials, especially for people still growing.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Did anyone notice in recent workout videos that we were using some sort of elbow-grip, a more arms-to-the-center approach on some of these? Is that new, or just a regular approach/lift that I haven't seen done on film before? If new, is it to protect from neck/shoulder injuries?

Spike

Did anyone notice in recent workout videos that we were using some sort of elbow-grip, a more arms-to-the-center approach on some of these? Is that new, or just a regular approach/lift that I haven't seen done on film before? If new, is it to protect from neck/shoulder injuries?
Was the bar in front of or behind the neck? Or where they using a safety squat bar? This has handles that come across your shoulders. It's a lot less strain on the shoulders and upper body.

Relic

As I've gotten older, I have noticed I do quite a few more squats than when I was younger. If I eat a bowl of Bran, they never stop...

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Was the bar in front of or behind the neck? Or where they using a safety squat bar? This has handles that come across your shoulders. It's a lot less strain on the shoulders and upper body.
It was in front. Trying but failing to find it at the moment. Almost looked like their hands were folded and the bar was supported within the two elbows, if that makes sense.

I also see other videos where searching that seem to be using more centered grips, with special bars that make the grip look more like a pull up. I know you're the expert. I'm lvl 0 noob.

PO Frog

It was in front. Trying but failing to find it at the moment. Almost looked like their hands were folded and the bar was supported within the two elbows, if that makes sense.

I also see other videos where searching that seem to be using more centered grips, with special bars that make the grip look more like a pull up. I know you're the expert. I'm lvl 0 noob.
Sounds like a zercher squat. No thanks for me. Can’t go real heavy on them but really works all the stabilizers in the back.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Sounds like a zercher squat. No thanks for me. Can’t go real heavy on them but really works all the stabilizers in the back.
I looked up that technique and yes, that is what it looked like. It also seems from certain videos that they're working less on heavy lifts, and more on centered, quick lifts.