Sptspage: Hubble telescope finally spots TCU band

Tom Brown

We put them in the 200’s on the east side

Not exactly the same thing
Just because there isn’t a section above it doesn’t mean it’s the nose bleeds

We couple easily put them in th 400’s in the West

We have a lot of fans with worse seats than the visitor band

That wasn’t true at DKR last weekend

We dont even fill our lower bowl. I was up there with the band in DKR, and i never felt like a second class citizen.

More mountain making of molehills if you ask me.

Horned Toad

I think the visiting band section is in the most acoustically beneficial location in the entire stadium. The Southern band blew us out when they visited and so does Tech’s and OU’s bands and we are about 4 or 5 sections over from them. They drown out the TCU band from that vantage point and you can hear them across the stadium. Our band needs to be there and the visiting band needs to be in the upper right corner of the west side where there is also a visitors section. This is where visitor’s bands should be seated.

flyfishingfrog

We dont even fill our lower bowl. I was up there with the band in DKR, and i never felt like a second class citizen.

More mountain making of molehills if you ask me.
We all were up there unless you bought seats outside the school and sat with the burnt

uT is the only school in the conference with no lower seats for visitors now

Those seats sucked - sorry - that was a joke to have our entire fan base between 118 -125 and typical of CDC trying to impress for money

Tom Brown

We all were up there unless you bought seats outside the school and sat with the burnt

uT is the only school in the conference with no lower seats for visitors now

Those seats sucked - sorry - that was a joke to have our entire fan base between 118 -125 and typical of CDC trying to impress for money

Didnt bother me, i was amongst friends.
Even since Saturday, ive found the world has more important and interesting things to ponder.

flyfishingfrog

Didnt bother me, i was amongst friends.
Even since Saturday, ive found the world has more important and interesting things to ponder.
Well since that could be said for college football overall and this board in particular- I guess that was your swan song and we can say goodbye?

Or was that just a stupid reply given the general discussion?

Tom Brown

Well since that could be said for college football overall and this board in particular- I guess that was your swan song and we can say goodbye?

Or was that just a stupid reply given the general discussion?

The band placement is no big deal.
My reply wasnt stupid, but you are a sack of diamonds.
Go fishing in an enchanting hole.

Last edited:

Brevity Frog

The Southern band blew us out when they visited and so does Tech’s and OU’s bands and we are about 4 or 5 sections over from them. They drown out the TCU band from that vantage point and you can hear them across the stadium.

This is because our band continues to be 50% woodwinds.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
We should completely give up on the current band format. Switch to something creative and non traditional. Or commit to it. But this half way BS is pointless.

More people would want to play in the band if they didn’t have to do traditional marching crap and wear horribly hot uniforms in the 100 degree weather. Q tip hats don’t help.

Smaller, cheaper and creative would be more effective than what we have.

froginaustin

We should completely give up on the current band format. Switch to something creative and non traditional. Or commit to it. But this half way BS is pointless.

More people would want to play in the band if they didn’t have to do traditional marching crap and wear horribly hot uniforms in the 100 degree weather. Q tip hats don’t help.

Smaller, cheaper and creative would be more effective than what we have.

If you aren't careful, smaller, cheaper, and creative would end up looking (and sounding) like SMU's band. The Mustang Band was smaller, cheaper, and more creative in about 1952, and aside from not being able to fill their ranks for the last few decades (us olds that pay any attention to college football bands remember their catch-phrase "96 guys and a doll" aka "96 queers [NTTAWWT, but that's what the TCU band members of my era called them] and a dog"), they haven't changed a thing. Although I suspect they let women play instruments in modern times-- in the olden days the only gender-identified female in the group was the twirler. Not only do they suck but they're horribly dated, sort of like SMU undergrad.

About 1970-ish, Prof Jacobson talked about trying to move toward something that looked and sounded like a jazz-era big band, but that discussion seemed to peter out. Two important problems: (1) a Stan Kenton-style band wouldn't train music ed majors to teach public school band as high school bands were expected to be at the time (not to mention the fact that Stan Kenton quality musicians were hard to find, even for Stan Kenton), and (2) the powers-that-be with Mrs. Moudy, the Chancellor's wife, as their spokes-loudmouth wanted a "traditional" TCU band, and pushed back hard, and in Jacobson's ear, against anything radical.

FWIW.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
If you aren't careful, smaller, cheaper, and creative would end up looking (and sounding) like SMU's band. The Mustang Band was smaller, cheaper, and more creative in about 1952, and aside from not being able to fill their ranks for the last few decades (us olds that pay any attention to college football bands remember their catch-phrase "96 guys and a doll" aka "96 queers [NTTAWWT, but that's what the TCU band members of my era called them] and a dog"), they haven't changed a thing. Although I suspect they let women play instruments in modern times-- in the olden days the only gender-identified female in the group was the twirler. Not only do they suck but they're horribly dated, sort of like SMU undergrad.

About 1970-ish, Prof Jacobson talked about trying to move toward something that looked and sounded like a jazz-era big band, but that discussion seemed to peter out. Two important problems: (1) a Stan Kenton-style band wouldn't train music ed majors to teach public school band as high school bands were expected to be at the time (not to mention the fact that Stan Kenton quality musicians were hard to find, even for Stan Kenton), and (2) the powers-that-be with Mrs. Moudy, the Chancellor's wife, as their spokes-loudmouth wanted a "traditional" TCU band, and pushed back hard, and in Jacobson's ear, against anything radical.

FWIW.

Go with pipes and drums with the new tartan plaid on the kilts, doing only AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, etc covers...