• The KillerFrogs

Spring Trustees Meeting

TCUdirtbag

More and more, it seems TCU buries trustee press releases. Here are the highlights:

- FY 19-20 budget is $777 M
- Endowment payout will be $71.8 M
- 2019-20 undergrad headcount cap is 9,500
- 2020-21 Med school tuition up over $60k
- Capital budget and sale of bonds approved but no public announcements on what any new projects are (note: the next big ones coming down the pipe are the Sadler redo and BLUU expansion)
- Lead On: A Campaign for TCU will have a public launch in October. This capital campaign has already raised $538 M in leadership gifts. My understanding (may be outdated info) is the total campaign goal will be $1 B and will conclude with the university’s 150th anniversary in 2023. Particular emphasis on endowment, so you can look for a lot of things to be named after folks—programs, professorships, deanships, maybe even unnamed departments and/or colleges—as part of the effort to raise big sums for endowment funds.

More details:
https://www.tcu.edu/news/2019/board-of-trustees-spring-meeting-summary.php

They also doled out some emeritus faculty titles for some retiring folks that I bet a lot of us had or heard of —- Donovan (Provost), Lipscomb (finance), and Lahutsky (religion) among them.

LeagueCityFrog

Joe Lipscomb in our Finance Department is one of the best professors TCU has ever had. Aggie and UH cougar alum. He's rock solid.

TCU's undergrad tuition eclipses the $60,000 a year threshold. Sweet Jesus.

Last edited:

Purp

NYU Medical School just went tuition free. Interesting piece by 60 Minutes last Sunday.
Aren't they able to do that b/c of a private donor giving multiple hundreds of millions to establish an endowment specifically for this purpose? I didn't watch the 60 minutes piece (honestly wouldn't care to), but it sounded like a huge propaganda piece oriented around garnering support for "free college for all" while downplaying, if not totally ignoring, the single reason it was all possible at NYU.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Aren't they able to do that b/c of a private donor giving multiple hundreds of millions to establish an endowment specifically for this purpose? I didn't watch the 60 minutes piece (honestly wouldn't care to), but it sounded like a huge propaganda piece oriented around garnering support for "free college for all" while downplaying, if not totally ignoring, the single reason it was all possible at NYU.
Co-founder of Home Depot helped. I recommend watching the piece. It's not a propaganda piece.

BAM Frog

Went on a campus tour for my daughter over spring break and $60,000 a year is the exact number that was used in the presentation.

Edit: All in for Undergraduate

jake102

Went on a campus tour for my daughter over spring break and $60,000 a year is the exact number that was used in the presentation.

Total cost and tuition are two different things. A school with $60K tuition (think Duke), is going to have a total cost of $75K or so

Brog

Understand that some of them are saying that the culmination of the big $ campaign in 2023, (our 150th birthday) with a goal of $1 billion will coincide with what they assume will be Boschini's final year at TCU. Better get it now, while he's here, they're saying. He's been a champion $ raiser for us, no doubt. Amazing to compare what TCU looked like when he came with what it looks like now.

LeagueCityFrog

What's the latest on the hotel at Berry Street and McCart? We haven't heard much and I hope they updated the design to look more like the style of the TCU campus or like the one at Okie State.

Big Frog II

Edit: All in for Undergraduate
That's tuition, room and board, and books. Tuition itself is around $49,000. Certainly nothing to sneeze about.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
What's the latest on the hotel at Berry Street and McCart? We haven't heard much and I hope they updated the design to look more like the style of the TCU campus or like the one at Okie State.

OSU’s is on campus right by the student union and matches the architecture. We’ll probably stick with the Holiday Inn look.