• The KillerFrogs

Spring scrimmage

gdu

QUOTE(nick @ Apr 11 2010, 01:40 PM) [snapback]543095[/snapback]
Not a shank, ball was placed so that he kicked into the lacing, that is from one of the Spec teams players.

I saw/said the same thing. There is a reason he wasn't upset with himself when he came to the sideline. Pizor was the holder if I'm not mistaken.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 10 2010, 09:55 PM) [snapback]543034[/snapback]
Reread my post. I didn't take a shot at him (Gunner, maybe, but not the kid).

I know, was referring to another post.

Baja Frog

Kenny Cain looked great yesterday and I overheard someone in the crowd say they spoke with Daryl Washington recently and asked him who we should be looking out for as the next big star on the team" and Daryl said Kenny Cain is the "next great linebacker" at TCU. FWIW.

Greg McCoy looked incredible today and IMHO he and Teague will be a better tandem than our last two corners and that's saying something.

Broughton is a freaking MONSTER! Dang I hope that guy can bring it this year!

Jurrell Thompson is a stud! Glad to have him.

Thought Matthew Tucker looked like he put on at least 15 pounds of upper body strength.

Besides the one interception, thought Dalton looked very sharp, especially on his short and sideline passes. Man that guy throws a tight spiral and hums it!

Does anyone know if David Johnson played today? If so how did he look?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Burner1 @ Apr 11 2010, 09:37 AM) [snapback]543108[/snapback]
Did they do any kickoffs?

Was Cannon playing left tackle or right?

No and left.

LVfrog

QUOTE(FrogbyChoice @ Apr 10 2010, 06:13 PM) [snapback]542960[/snapback]
I completely disagree about Cannon. He had serious technique problems on pass plays. From the left tackle the left foot is back and the first step is back. Instead he was stepping forward. I'm sure the coaches will correct this mistake but he'll be easy for a quick rush end to get around the corner on.

I was really impressed with Tucker, Dean, Boyce and Jurrell Thompson. All of them appear to be quality players.

Wow, Marcus played really well and is a very good Tackle. Everyone around me were saying how well he was playing. He wasn't beaten and made several nice blocks on running plays. We must have been watching different scrimmages.

McFroggin

QUOTE(Baja Frog (Viperfrog) @ Apr 11 2010, 08:22 AM) [snapback]543105[/snapback]
Greg McCoy looked incredible today and IMHO he and Teague will be a better tandem than our last two corners and that's saying something.

I don't know how you got much out of the DB's play in a basic scrimmage. No trick plays, basic pass plays, receivers you know well, etc. should make it MUCH easier than any game experience. In a basic scrimmage, DB is probably the hardest position to evaluate because of this.

Until I see McCoy and Teague take on a quality passing attack as starters in a game or 2, it is impossible to know how they will turn out. There is more hype on these corners on this website than D Smith. This is a position with a big learning curve, especially replacing 3/4 year starters. Remember to give them some slack come start of the season. They will grow.

If our D-line can put enough pressure on the QB early on, McCoy and Teague's INT's will hopefully be up. We didn't have enough turnovers last year.

gdu

QUOTE(McFroggin @ Apr 11 2010, 04:43 PM) [snapback]543148[/snapback]
I don't know how you got much out of the DB's play in a basic scrimmage. No trick plays, basic pass plays, receivers you know well, etc. should make it MUCH easier than any game experience. In a basic scrimmage, DB is probably the hardest position to evaluate because of this.

Until I see McCoy and Teague take on a quality passing attack as starters in a game or 2, it is impossible to know how they will turn out. There is more hype on these corners on this website than D Smith. This is a position with a big learning curve, especially replacing 3/4 year starters. Remember to give them some slack come start of the season. They will grow.

If our D-line can put enough pressure on the QB early on, McCoy and Teague's INT's will hopefully be up. We didn't have enough turnovers last year.

McCoy was in good position alot and made good plays on the ball. Looked much more instinctual than last year, which is to be expected.

FrogFrog

My observations:

Smith - I thought he had 50+ yards, 40 on one run alone. He's a fast tank. He's frankly the reason I went to the game and I came away impressed (injuries aside).

One running back got the ball, ran about 8 yards, and I thought, "holy sh*t, who was that?" He was fast and looked big. That RB was Dean. He may not be playing safety for us.

Pachall looked good, but those deep throws are still wobbly.

Boyce is going to be a stud. He was really hard to cover out there.

McCoy is going to make some plays. He's a quick dude who was in the right place on some perfect throws from Dalton.

DickBumpastache

Smith had to be helped off the field...but he did walk for a minute or two on the sidelines. Of that much I am sure. Patterson said he didn't believe it to be anything serious, but he did have a game to coach.

McFroggin

I don't put much stock into being able to put "some" weight on his leg. You could tear an ACL and still put some weight on it.

iancurtis

I haven't seen this posted but am I crazy or was Jeff Olson working with the ones at the other tackle? If he didn't start wasn't he at least rotating opposite Cannon?

Burks looked good. In my personal opinion they won't be able to keep Malcolm Williams off of the field for long at corner.

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(iancurtis @ Apr 11 2010, 01:21 PM) [snapback]543195[/snapback]
I haven't seen this posted but am I crazy or was Jeff Olson working with the ones at the other tackle?

Yes. He played some with that line. (62)

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(TexanOutlaw90 @ Apr 11 2010, 11:41 AM) [snapback]543145[/snapback]
Assuming Tank is ready for OSU, what are the chances of a Tank/Kenny Cain starting LB combo?

Forget about Tanner Brock?

Yesterday he was huge.

gdu

QUOTE(McFroggin @ Apr 11 2010, 05:52 PM) [snapback]543180[/snapback]
I don't put much stock into being able to put "some" weight on his leg. You could tear an ACL and still put some weight on it.

just ask RGIII who finished the quarter when he tore his.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 11 2010, 03:30 PM) [snapback]543261[/snapback]
just ask RGIII who finished the quarter when he tore his.

It all depends upon the extent of damage.

gdu

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 11 2010, 08:41 PM) [snapback]543267[/snapback]
It all depends upon the extent of damage.

Obviously

QUOTE(TCUFrogs @ Apr 11 2010, 01:42 PM) [snapback]543208[/snapback]
Forget about Tanner Brock?

Yesterday he was huge.

That's what I'm getting at. Is it set in stone that Brock will be starting over Cain? Most of what we love about Brock came from special teams, but Kenny Cain had some great blocks on the Kerley returns as well.

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(TexanOutlaw90 @ Apr 11 2010, 04:07 PM) [snapback]543279[/snapback]
That's what I'm getting at. Is it set in stone that Brock will be starting over Cain? Most of what we love about Brock came from special teams, but Kenny Cain had some great blocks on the Kerley returns as well.

Did you watch him yesterday?

If you did, there would be no question--based on right now. September is 5 months away.

Of course, competition will continue and those who earn it will be out there. They both will play.

But how many times have you seen Tanner play in person?