• The KillerFrogs

Spring Practice 2016

Frostie

Pure Purple said:
Does anyone else find Gary's spring practice optimism decidedly out of character and unconventional?
Yes, my take is after two springs of his defenses getting owned by a superior offense
(read Trevone) the defense is dominating this spring. So in my opinion we have a strong defense
and an offense that is misfiring. Everything is wonderful in Gary's world when the defense
dominates, not a knock on him.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
jack the weed said:
Big 12 related.

Heard at Texas suffered a shoulder injury yesterday. Lot's of speculation but no concrete information beyond that.
Paper here indicates it was super ill-timed as Strong hoped to know by mid spring who had the inside track on QB.

mentoq

Frostie said:
Yes, my take is after two springs of his defenses getting owned by a superior offense
(read Trevone) the defense is dominating this spring. So in my opinion we have a strong defense
and an offense that is misfiring. Everything is wonderful in Gary's world when the defense
dominates, not a knock on him.

tcumaniac

Ron Swanson said:
I feel like there is more to the CEL story that we don't know. It's strange that he was at the Alamo Bowl cheering his arse off and celebrating with the entire team.

That's not normal for a regular mid-career transfer
I feel like you're reading way too into it. The guy probably just wanted the opportunity to have more playing time and play a bigger role for his team than he saw himself having at TCU. Until all the injuries, CEL would have been buried on the depth chart.

I'd imagine he still loves TCU and all his former teammates and coaches, which aligns pretty well with the fact that he was at the Alamo Bowl cheering for the team and school he still loves and feels apart of.

Ron Swanson

tcumaniac said:
I feel like you're reading way too into it. The guy probably just wanted the opportunity to have more playing time and play a bigger role for his team than he saw himself having at TCU. Until all the injuries, CEL would have been buried on the depth chart.

I'd imagine he still loves TCU and all his former teammates and coaches, which aligns pretty well with the fact that he was at the Alamo Bowl cheering for the team and school he still loves and feels apart of.
I'm not saying that I think there is bad blood or anything, it just seems like there's more to the story than what's on the surface.

jack the frog

Heard's injury makes Texas better.
That might be true but if you discount Swoopes they are now down to two QB's that have never taken a snap, unless I have forgotten someone. Heard was not all that great to be sure but his situation was not much different than Boykin's. Thrown in to the fire behind a lousy offensive line with a lousy offensive scheme. He might have done some things this year, who knows.

Not sure if his injury has been updated or not.

West Coast Johnny

jack the weed said:
That might be true but if you discount Swoopes they are now down to two QB's that have never taken a snap, unless I have forgotten someone. Heard was not all that great to be sure but his situation was not much different than Boykin's. Thrown in to the fire behind a lousy offensive line with a lousy offensive scheme. He might have done some things this year, who knows.

Not sure if his injury has been updated or not.
Just that I wasn't impressed with Heard last year.  I think Swoopes improved a great deal later in the year and is almost an average quarterback now.  Heard just looked horrible and the sentiment among my Horn friends is that they lost a great deal of hope in Heard last year and the injury gives the underclassmen more reps.

Gunner

Heard's throwing motion is minor league.  Never will be a QB.   

Texas has more problems than QB.  Their offensive line was horrible against us last year.  

We score 60 on Oregon if Boykin and Doctson are well.  

asleep003

Pure Purple said:
Does anyone else find Gary's spring practice optimism decidedly out of character and unconventional?

Believe GP did this on the D in Spring of 2013. However, in spite of the offense's demise and the disapperance of 7-8 two deep players for the season, the D was very tough and kept us in all but one game. 

Cheers !