• The KillerFrogs

Sonny Speaks on Houston Sports Radio 610

G Mother Froggen P

I can't help but wonder if we'll ever be up to the level UGA was at the night of the championship. Miles of difference between our two programs. Would love to be back soon but can't help but wonder if we will...

It was enough of a coaching distraction that Dykes is talking about it. So why couldn’t he schedule the transfer candidates for the weeks before Michigan or the week after Georgia. And have any of those six transfer candidates signed on or was it a complete waste of championship prep time.

Sonny Dykes from the Houston Chronicle today—

“One of the things we found during this process was as we’re getting ready to play in the national championship game against Georgia, we were hosting six transfer recruits,” Dykes said. “As we’re trying to prepare a game plan to go play a national championship. We’ve got six guys on campus and we’re trying to go to dinner with their families and we’re trying to be around those guys while trying to prepare to win a national championship.

“Some of the stuff doesn’t mesh together quite as well as it needs to, my opinion. But like anything else, the NCAA is open to having conversations more than ever about trying to get this thing right.”

Last edited:

Frogs1983

The Frogs looked like a Murray St. out there. The lack of preparation was absolutely grotesque.

At some point the anger will fade to the degree that I can listen to their excuses, but at this point we all just witnessed a complete and systematic annihilation brought on by superior preparation and discipline. Our brain trust had no idea what we would be running into, and it showed.

On the Biggest Stage in College Football, we couldn't get out of our own way and left an embarrassing stain that will never fade.
Frogs emptied their Tank against Michigan. They looked poorly prepared against Georgia from the opening kickoff. Georgia came out looking to destroy(and they did). TCU came out wide eyed and awe struck, and got buried so quickly they couldn't begin to climb out of the hole they got thrown into to.

IF Frogs ever get back to a Championship game, hopefully they won't repeat the "happy to be there" tourist approach they seemed to have Monday night, and will have more of the business like. "hunter" mentality Kirby Smart took with his team.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Frogs emptied their Tank against Michigan. They looked poorly prepared against Georgia from the opening kickoff. Georgia came out looking to destroy(and they did). TCU came out wide eyed and awe struck, and got buried so quickly they couldn't begin to climb out of the hole they got thrown into to.

IF Frogs ever get back to a Championship game, hopefully they won't repeat the "happy to be there" tourist approach they seemed to have Monday night, and will have more of the business like. "hunter" mentality Kirby Smart took with his team.
The "emptied their tank" wording has been used a few times. Yet, I cannot accept the "emptied their tank" excuse to explain the absolute chasm of disparity seen between the two teams performance. These were kids in their prime, playing for a National Championship. To excuse that performance with "Well, they were tired." is abhorrent. I saw and spoke with a few of the players the morning after the game, and, if anything they were ashamed, embarrassed, didn't even want to make eye contact. They were beaten mentally in that game, which then led to a mighty physical beating. The demoralizing start snowballed, as 8 noted in his accurate critique. Once you have mentally accepted defeat, well, that's that.

The Frogs never had their feet in that game. They played scared and tight from the coin-flip, and never got the chance to get into a rhythm. Desperation set in quickly, and resulted in more disaster. But, enough about the 1st quarter...

Dogfrog

One of the comments I recall being repeated by Sonny and staff during the spring, fall, and during the season was the concept of concentrating on perfecting what we do rather than spending too much time on what the opponents do. Have to ask yourself if that concept tends to get lost in preparing for a Georgia leading up to a championship game.

Eight

One of the comments I recall being repeated by Sonny and staff during the spring, fall, and during the season was the concept of concentrating on perfecting what we do rather than spending too much time on what the opponents do. Have to ask yourself if that concept tends to get lost in preparing for a Georgia leading up to a championship game.

very fair question and I know over the course of the year they tried to make each week the same in an attempt to keep the team even keeled and try to avoid letdowns

should they have ramped things up after the michigan game?

hindsight says yes but I don't think that would have been enough. the result most likely better in terms of margin, but the die was cast on the ultimate outcome long before

additionally, i am not sure tcu gets that far without taking the balanced approach in season, but that wasn't enough come post season

Mean Purple

That comment is very much along the lines of an air raid coach mentality. Air Raid of the Mumme/Leach type foundation focuses on simplified schemes and lots of repetition. With the idea being that if you hit half of that in the game, you're good. It has never worked out through a whole season against top level talent. urban meyer knew leach well and talked about conversations they had.

The latter half of the statement is spot on. In the latter part of the second quarter, a former SWC lineback I was watching the game with mentioned that it looked like the offensive staff was starting to panic a little.
And the players probably picked up on the coach’s panic. Everyone knew that it was important not to get down early. They lost their confidence for the 1st time all year, after getting punched in the mouth. And quickly sensed these Georgia players are different, better.

Tshirt Fan

The Frogs looked like a Murray St. out there. The lack of preparation was absolutely grotesque.

At some point the anger will fade to the degree that I can listen to their excuses, but at this point we all just witnessed a complete and systematic annihilation brought on by superior preparation and discipline. Our brain trust had no idea what we would be running into, and it showed.

On the Biggest Stage in College Football, we couldn't get out of our own way and left an embarrassing stain that will never fade.
Could you please stop trying to sugar coat this debacle?

Tshirt Fan

had a late friend who coached at midland lee on spike's staff

told us one time while sitting in the bier garten during the state track meet to not confuse the smiling, story telling laughing spike we saw there with head coach spike dykes and that the next morning meetings to watch film after a staff as a loss were brutal in their intensity and honesty

if we did something wrong then why? how did we come to the decisions we made? what changes need to be made?

the one thing you never did was present a problem wo a possible solution or say it couldn't be done

never met sonny, don't know how he operates with his staff, and i think some would make a mistake that what we see on carter boys is all there is on sonny

spike apparently did not like to dress down staff in view of the players or those outside the program, but he apparently was gifted in the ability to get his point across

if sonny is anything like his dad which i suspect he is, this process started on the 10th
I liked your post, but would have really appreciated a non-attributed gif to go with the outstanding text.

Wexahu

That comment is very much along the lines of an air raid coach mentality. Air Raid of the Mumme/Leach type foundation focuses on simplified schemes and lots of repetition. With the idea being that if you hit half of that in the game, you're good. It has never worked out through a whole season against top level talent. urban meyer knew leach well and talked about conversations they had.
What system has worked through a whole season when you are talking about an undermanned team vs top level talent?

The top level talent teams always win in the end. Always. For TCU to break through that glass ceiling we are going to have to start pulling in NFL-prototype lineman on both sides of the ball because that is what wins.

Georgia had three D-lineman picked in the 1st round of the 2022 draft. DE Nolan Smith, the #1 overall recruit in the class of '19, was hurt for this game. DT Jalen Carter might be the #1 pick in this draft. That's what we were up against, just a completely different caliber of athlete. We probably don't have a d-lineman that can crack their 2-deep. That discrepancy is just too hard to overcome, no matter what scheme is being run.

Eight

What system has worked through a whole season when you are talking about an undermanned team vs top level talent?

The top level talent teams always win in the end. Always. For TCU to break through that glass ceiling we are going to have to start pulling in NFL-prototype lineman on both sides of the ball because that is what wins.

Georgia had three D-lineman picked in the 1st round of the 2022 draft. DE Nolan Smith, the #1 overall recruit in the class of '19, was hurt for this game. DT Jalen Carter might be the #1 pick in this draft. That's what we were up against, just a completely different caliber of athlete. We probably don't have a d-lineman that can crack their 2-deep. That discrepancy is just too hard to overcome, no matter what scheme is being run.

for reference to your depth chart point wex, ty mitchell was going to be passed on the uga depth chart by their incoming class and opted to transfer instead of being buried and running scout team

Wexahu

for reference to your depth chart point wex, ty mitchell was going to be passed on the uga depth chart by their incoming class and opted to transfer instead of being buried and running scout team
All three of those 1st rounders could have come back this year. So that would have been three 2022 1st rounders, plus Nolan Smith, plus Jalen Carter, plus whatever other 4-5* kids they have waiting in the wings lining up against you.

Our three starters o the D-line were a 6th year senior who never made all conference, a kid who was 17 years old when the season started, and a guy who started his college career playing safety at New Mexico. Our backups were journeyman in every sense of the word.

We can discuss what happened till the cows come home, but what happened is it wasn't a fair fight. It was a completely different caliber of athlete lining up against us.

Eight

All three of those 1st rounders could have come back this year. So that would have been three 2022 1st rounders, plus Nolan Smith, plus Jalen Carter, plus whatever other 4-5* kids they have waiting in the wings lining up against you.

Our three starters o the D-line were a 6th year senior who never made all conference, a kid who was 17 years old when the season started, and a guy who started his college career playing safety at New Mexico. Our backups were journeyman in every sense of the word.

We can discuss what happened till the cows come home, but what happened is it wasn't a fair fight. It was a completely different caliber of athlete lining up against us.

would believe it is safe to say the athletes on the uga scout team replicating the tcu defense were every bit as good across the board as the tcu starting defense

so the look their offense got for 9 days was equal to what they say come game day

that was not the case for the tcu scout defense because the frogs do not have a carter clone stashed down their roster

Jimbo Fisher and Jeff Traylor thoughts on the time commitment of college coaching with transfer and NIL rules—

“There are a lot of things going on now in college football — my job has changed so much in the last two years it’s ridiculous,” Fisher said.

That ridiculousness is the primary reason that while Jeff Traylor would love to reunite with his son in perhaps one day coaching together, he’d just as soon Jordan Traylor stick to the NFL and its more reasonable hours and duties for coaches.

“We talk about mental health for students,” Jeff Traylor said. “How about mental health for adults?”

It was and barring some errors by UGA, I was fully prepared for them to have a comfortable margin at the end of the game. However, I certainly did not expect us to come out on that stage and be completely unprepared to play. That team just edged out OSU the week before that lost by 22 at home to the team we beat the week before. All things being equal, UGA should have won which is why they were favored but that does not explain why we didn’t play a respectable game when we should have been able to do so by just playing at our usual level.

Mean Purple

would believe it is safe to say the athletes on the uga scout team replicating the tcu defense were every bit as good across the board as the tcu starting defense

so the look their offense got for 9 days was equal to what they say come game day

that was not the case for the tcu scout defense because the frogs do not have a carter clone stashed down their roster
There's no way in hell their scout team is as good as our starting D.

Eight

There's no way in hell their scout team is as good as our starting D.

if that scout team is comprised of red shirt frosh and underclass scholarship players then yes, based simply on the level of physical talent they have signed in there last 4 classes

execution of the defense etc..... no, agree completely, but in terms of speed, agility, quickness, etc... yes

mitchell wasn't going to see the field for them and played big minutes for the frogs