• The KillerFrogs

Some old dusty photos...

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Was cleaning out my Folks place and found some photos of TCU Past...

The first two are from 1982 at Texas A&M. I am carrying a tuba. The Aggies directed our busses to the cafeteria, where we were ushered in and informed that we could eat all we wanted. We did. It's a wonder we could waddle into the Stadium after that...

The next was taken of the Sun Bowl prior to that memorable event.

TCUBandatAM1982.jpgTCUatAM1982.jpgUTMemorialStadium1983.jpg

Wexahu

The first two are from 1982 at Texas A&M. I am carrying a tuba. The Aggies directed our busses to the cafeteria, where we were ushered in and informed that we could eat all we wanted. We did. It's a wonder we could waddle into the Stadium after that...

View attachment 9799View attachment 9800View attachment 9801
The 1965 Sun Bowl?

Amazing how much Kyle Field has changed.

Double D

Tier 1
I was at that game on the sidelines. Billy Cannon Jr laid the biggest cheap shot on James Maness after the ball went flying over his head. Of course, no penalty. Today, that would be targeting and ejection. Dam Aggies!

View attachment 9799View attachment 9800View attachment 9801

BrewingFrog

I was at that game on the sidelines. Billy Cannon Jr laid the biggest cheap shot on James Maness after the ball went flying over his head. Of course, no penalty. Today, that would be targeting and ejection. Dam Aggies!
I remember that the Aggie QB was Gary Kubiak, and he spent a lot of the day getting the stuffing knocked out of him.

BrewingFrog

The 1965 Sun Bowl?

Amazing how much Kyle Field has changed.

I was visiting A&M to see my Nephew's "Ring Ceremony" year before last (November 2019). We took a long walk around the Campus, which is quite lovely, and we peeked into Kyle Field while we were out. I was astounded at how much it has changed; all walled in, with seats stacked up all around. In those old photos, is is a wide, open space. Now it is all crowded in.

BrewingFrog

Really? Those cars all look much older than that. In fact, everything about that picture seems old!
Now that you mention it...

The '98 Sun Bowl was a noon kickoff under a brilliant blue sky. The photo looks like it is taken at dusk, with the Stadium lights on and long shadows under the stands. Could be this is an earlier game from the early 80's with UT as a participant, probably the '82 game.

Wexahu

The '98 Sun Bowl was a noon kickoff under a brilliant blue sky. The photo looks like it is taken at dusk, with the Stadium lights on and long shadows under the stands. Could be this is an earlier game from the early 80's with UT as a participant, probably the '82 game.
Yeah, the picture looks late 70's, early 80's to me. I just figured it had to be the '65 Sun Bowl because I thought no way is that 1998. But it doesn't look 1965 old either.

JugbandFrog

I was visiting A&M to see my Nephew's "Ring Ceremony" year before last (November 2019). We took a long walk around the Campus, which is quite lovely, and we peeked into Kyle Field while we were out. I was astounded at how much it has changed; all walled in, with seats stacked up all around. In those old photos, is is a wide, open space. Now it is all crowded in.
It is ugly as sin. Way too piece-mealed to cram as many sheep lovers as they can.

Also, something about it doesn’t seem safe to me. I fear that one day something in that tbi g will give way.

Double D

Tier 1
I hovered over that picture and it says 'UTMemorialStadium1983' as a pop up.

BrewingFrog

I hovered over that picture and it says 'UTMemorialStadium1983' as a pop up.
When I initially scanned the photos, that's what I thought it was. So I saved it as that. It wasn't until Wex said something that I took a closer look at the larger image the scan produced. It was then that I could make out the hill behind the far stands. "Hey! That's not Austin!"

Somewhere among all the pictures are some shots of the '83 game at UT, and I thought it was one of that group.

BrewingFrog

8-10 tubas. Bet you could hear them.
TCU had just bought them that year. Brand new (if memory serves) Conn brass Sousaphones. For the first game, to show off the new gear, we tuba players all marched out front of the Band at Halftime and played "The Baby Elephant March" on the new horns. Since they were new, the valves were sticky, so I'm sure it sounded like crap. Oh, well...

Just looking at the size of the Band back then, wow! There weren't very many of us, were there!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Wasn't it Ray Childress that knocked Maness out?

If not poor James got drilled twice. I was at the 84 game and Childress knocked him out of the game about 2 yards into the sideline.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
TCU had just bought them that year. Brand new (if memory serves) Conn brass Sousaphones. For the first game, to show off the new gear, we tuba players all marched out front of the Band at Halftime and played "The Baby Elephant March" on the new horns. Since they were new, the valves were sticky, so I'm sure it sounded like crap. Oh, well...

Just looking at the size of the Band back then, wow! There weren't very many of us, were there!

looks like the Andora National Band

Brog

The Kyle Field photos slap me in the face and remind me how time slides by. The old era feel is not much different than looking at old photos of Amon Carter from the ’30’s and ‘40’s, but I was alive and conscious in 1982... shucks. Recognition of becoming old is sobering. But feeling old maybe depends most on how ones body and mind are holding up.
Yeah, I got excited when I saw the heading that this was some "old dusty photos of TCU past". Then saw that they were from the early 1980's, 30 years after I graduated. As you say, "how time slides by"! (But they are great photos, anyway, so thanks for posting them.)

BrewingFrog

Yeah, I got excited when I saw the heading that this was some "old dusty photos of TCU past". Then saw that they were from the early 1980's, 30 years after I graduated. As you say, "how time slides by"! (But they are great photos, anyway, so thanks for posting them.)
Some of the items stashed in my attic are my Folk's old yearbooks, editions of the Cactus (UT) and Horned Frog from the early 50's. The difference from the 50's to the 80's was a little jarring, but from the 80's to the '10's is astounding!