• The KillerFrogs

Some Big 10 rumors from Dienhart

10 Key Frog

What's the benefit to Texas and ND to only play 7 conference games per year while the rest of the conference plays 8? I don't really get that twitter post.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(horned_frogs_forever @ May 19 2010, 12:16 PM) [snapback]561626[/snapback]
What's the benefit to Texas and ND to only play 7 conference games per year while the rest of the conference plays 8? I don't really get that twitter post.

Just theorizing here....

More revenue producing home games. And, quite possibly, allowing ND to keep its NBC deal while also allowing UT to form its own network. So, imagine the Big 10 having TWO networks under its umbrella PLUS ABC and NBC (not to mention ESPN). And I'd bet the cost of such an arrangement is a cut of the NBC and UT network money for the rest of the conference. And there'd certainly wouldn't be anything stopping the league from just counting 7 games toward the standings - the WAC16 did something along those lines in basketball.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(horned_frogs_forever @ May 19 2010, 10:16 AM) [snapback]561626[/snapback]

I suppose it is to protect ND's & Texas' traditional rivaly games, and allow for other non-conference games - (USC & OU respectively). But talk about an uneven playing field! Everyone else has to play 8 games? Its the kind of garbage ND & Texas bring to the table.

SnoSki

QUOTE(horned_frogs_forever @ May 19 2010, 12:16 PM) [snapback]561626[/snapback]

Easy... 5 creampuffs for the rest of their schedule, with A&M being one of them depending on how good their team is.

5 guaranteed non-conf games, plus a fairly easy Big 10 schedule... easy pickings to BCS ville

Nick Danger

Sorry about the redundancy, KFITKS already posted the same thing above!

I'm pretty sure that Dienhart got this from Frank the Tank, who is also from Chicago. I wasn't going to post this because it was just another rumor, plus I was having a hard time understanding what he was saying but since you've brought it up, I'll fill you in on what little I know on the back ground of this and you can put as much stock in it as you want.

Anyhoo, this Frank the Tank posted a story the other day on his widely read blog that the Big 10 commissioner called some meeting of all the Big 10 staff there in Chicago in order to read them the riot act about some supposed leak he had read on a Big 10 message board. Frank said he had confirmation from a couple of "his sources" that this meeting did take place, in which he threatened to fire the person that was responsible for leaking the information to this drinking buddy that then posted this "inside info". Frank made the point that he thought it was interesting that this particular "rumor" was the only one that set the Big 10 guy off. Anyway, here is a link to the post that contains the supposed leaked info and it details everything that is covered in the Dienhart tweet...

Secret Big 10 gameplan!

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Interesting rumor, but its seems like it has too many hurdles to overcome to be true.

But here's a thought.....Nebraska's apparently one of the schools that has issues with UT and the power they wield in the Big 12. So wouldn't just make the Huskers so happy to see that they are 2nd fiddle to the Horns in such a scenario.