• The KillerFrogs

So, what are the odds of having a football season this fall?

Will there be a season this fall? Poll

• Hell, yes. We gotta have football

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • No way in hell.

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Well, maybe.

Votes: 41 50.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HG73

I could see that being the biggest issue.... a few areas of the country may need to stay shut down longer (New York, California). What do you do with them?
Let them start later if at all. What relevant college teams are in or around NYC, BOS, PHIL or DC? Rutgers? BC? Maryland? If they didn't play at all would anybody notice?
How about the PAC? Nobody east of the Rockies can stay awake late enough to watch their games anyway.
We're only talking about conference games, OOC games probably won't be played.

Eight

Let them start later if at all. What relevant college teams are in or around NYC, BOS, PHIL or DC? Rutgers? BC? Maryland? If they didn't play at all would anybody notice?
How about the PAC? Nobody east of the Rockies can stay awake late enough to watch their games anyway.
We're only talking about conference games, OOC games probably won't be played.

talking about the pac and part of the big 10 and acc as well as the smaller schools

HG73

talking about the pac and part of the big 10 and acc as well as the smaller schools
Just saying that some adjustments may need to be made because of the pandemic. B1G won't cancel their season just because Rutgers and Maryland can't play. ACC won't cancel their season just because Boston College can't play.

Regarding the PAC, the affected cities probably house their premier programs. USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford and UW are in densely populated areas hard hit by the virus. Maybe the rest of the league can have a six game season.

Then again, who would know? NOBODY would watch the PAC without the LA, SF and Seattle teams.

tcudoc

I think we are on the brink of opening the country back up. The public's appetite for this has run its course. If we aren't open in a few weeks, I predict anarchy will ensue. This has served its purpose (flattening the curve and allowing medical systems time to prepare and respond) and needs to end, IMHO.

TCUdirtbag

Many universities are now saying they will be open for Fall pending something changing

IMO Mitch Daniels at Purdue is one of the best college presidents in the country. I think I pointed out here that his statement would definitely move the needle at big institutions across the country.

Everything will be subject to change—including whether we can have sports gatherings even if students are back on campus. But Plan A absolutely is for everyone to be open this fall. I’m relieved to see the cascade of pseudo-announcements coming out that align with Daniels’. If we plan for safe ways to open now, we’re way more likely to actually be able to do it.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Here we go with Coronaviruses that infect humans

229E - Time to vaccine (still waiting)
NL63 - Time to vaccine (still waiting)
OC43 - Time to vaccine (still waiting)
HKU1 - Time to vaccine (still waiting)

SARS - Time to vaccine (still waiting)
MERS - Time to vaccine (still waiting)

Average time to approved coronavirus vaccine = infinity divided by cheeseburger raised to the 5th power. Not being a jerk on this but this stuff ain’t as easy as some TV pundits make it sound.
Pharm,
What are your thoughts on the two Texas doctors down in Houston that were written about in a recent Texas monthly article where they had I believe 2 million doses of a experimental vaccine ready for SARS in cold storage ever since. And yet they can’t get anyone from the federal government to pay attention except for “fill out a grant”.
SF

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/covid19-vaccine-race-texas/

Pharm Frog

Pharm,
What are your thoughts on the two Texas doctors down in Houston that were written about in a recent Texas monthly article where they had I believe 2 million doses of a experimental vaccine ready for SARS in cold storage ever since. And yet they can’t get anyone from the federal government to pay attention except for “fill out a grant”.
SF

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/covid19-vaccine-race-texas/

I had not read that article so thanks for sharing. I took it and sent it to some of my colleagues in our vaccines division to see what they know (or don't). I suspect that I'll be told that this is a story that could be told from several research labs but I do know that when you start talking UTMB, you're talking about the top of the research food chain in these things. It does not surprise me at all (not a single bit) that they could not find funding for conduct of clinical trial. That said, when it comes to infectious disease, personally I'm more concerned about the antibiotic side of the equation.

asleep003

Many universities are now saying they will be open for Fall pending something changing
Feasable ... for P5 Conferences or just specific teams. Maybe 2 to 3 conferences. Maybe parts of conferences will participate only.?. there are all sorts of potential scenarios that could surface. There is too much TV dollars not to work something out... just the fanless games alone increases the millions of viewership every Saturday compared to last year. So could go.

NewFrogFan

I honestly don’t know what to think...I guess it’s just a feeling, but I just don’t see how this all blows over by September to where 50k + ppl can gather on a consistent basis.

And to clarify my “hard to even comprehend” comment wasn’t in reference to having the season. It was directed towards - hard to comprehend there being a fall with no college football.

Are the Swede’s not doing it now?

HFrog1999

There won’t be a safe vaccine before the season.

There may never be a vaccine.

I do think we’re learning a lot more about the virus though.

It may be a lot more widespread and less deadly than originally thought. Also, hopefully the likelihood of it spreading in open air stadiums is very low. I think it spreads mostly from close contact in confined buildings and public transportation.

Covid 19 may be here for a long time. We’re going to have to figure out how to live with it.

I hope we play college and high school football. Football is a special game most people only get to play a few times. My son only has 3 more years of high school football. Missing a season with put a huge hole in his high school experience

Froginbedford

There won’t be a safe vaccine before the season.

There may never be a vaccine.

Also, hopefully the likelihood of it spreading in open air stadiums is very low. I think it spreads mostly from close contact in confined buildings and public transportation.

Covid 19 may be here for a long time. We’re going to have to figure out how to live with it.
Students must be on campus for athletic events to be allowed....without the institution being active in the program, it becomes what the professional game would ultimately like to see, B, C, or D leagues of professional farm teams....

If students are allowed to live in the dorms and eat on campus, then there might not be a protection in socially distancing fans in the stadiums or in holding games without spectators, since the virus apparently thrives in congested group contacts....

Covid is here to stay....Chicken pox, measles, mumps, polio, typhoid, are all still with us and by various means we have learned to live with them...vaccination, of course, but the medical/science community has locked up development and application of any new vaccine to a 3-4 year period, and there is a sizable, and maybe growing, community of anti-vaxxers....Harvard medical faculty personnel have suggested social distancing will have to extend to 2022...

We could be seeing a nation-wide restructure of all athletics...college conferences may collapse to 6-8 geographically proximate teams and 4-5 geographically proximate non-conference games in order to reduce travel costs and eliminate flying personnel in closely confined transportation and in the process downsize the schedule to 10 games total....Downside would be to fill the schedule, P-5 teams would have to load up on UTEPs, UTSAs, UNTs, Rices, Lamars, Tulsas, etc....No marquee games on which to base rankings....Upside would be with three fewer games per year, an expanded post-season tournament would be possible....

The national climate is that there must be an eradication of the disease and not an acceptance of risking fatalities....

I wish there were a season this year, but I don't think it's likely....Renewing my seats, though....