• The KillerFrogs

So, what are the odds of having a football season this fall?

Will there be a season this fall? Poll

• Hell, yes. We gotta have football

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • No way in hell.

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Well, maybe.

Votes: 41 50.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Putt4Purple

There may never be a vaccine and there certainly won’t be a safe one developed before the season.

The rationale for the quarantine of healthy people was to prevent overwhelming the hospitals. In Texas we haven’t even come close to our capacity.

I don’t think Covid 19 is going anywhere anytime soon. We have to decide if we’re going to live our lives or not.

Most people have mild or even no symptoms and over 98% recover.

If we have a season I’ll attend the games. If we don’t or they try to play without fans, Major College Football will have a hard time recovering.

I agree with you. For those who think games will be played without fans is in itself self defeating and makes no sense.
IF your concern is social distancing then why ask young men to physically be in contact with each other? Coaches and players on both sides will be breathing on each other as well even without fans in attendance.
The NCAA is going to try and persuade and convince the general public that social distancing is the proper response to solve the Covid-19 problem?
No, we play the season with other contengies. Testing, a vaccine etc...
Playing a football game without fans makes no sense in this particular instance.

Eight

I agree with you. For those who think games will be played without fans is in itself self defeating and makes no sense.
IF your concern is social distancing then why ask young men to physically be in contact with each other? Coaches and players on both sides will be breathing on each other as well even without fans in attendance.
The NCAA is going to try and persuade and convince the general public that social distancing is the proper response to solve the Covid-19 problem?
No, we play the season with other contengies. Testing, a vaccine etc...
Playing a football game without fans makes no sense in this particular instance.

i can see the pro leagues ask their employees to accept the risk in exchange for their paychecks though not sure how the leagues deal with players who balk at playing

college athletics is an entirely different model and if the students aren't back on campus the idea of college games without fans is completely off the table to me

HFrog1999

i can see the pro leagues ask their employees to accept the risk in exchange for their paychecks though not sure how the leagues deal with players who balk at playing

college athletics is an entirely different model and if the students aren't back on campus the idea of college games without fans is completely off the table to me

I believe most colleges have said they won’t play if students aren’t back on campus

monkeyfishfrog

This really depends on the effectiveness on our control measures, seasonality of this particular strain of coronavirus, and whether or not this disease becomes endemic (i.e.: persistently present in low levels and really spreading at certain times of year, like influenza).

I could see a scenario where infections really begin to plateau and decline in the summer, if our control efforts are continued at some reasonable level and this strain of coronavirus is seasonal (as is the case with many strains). However, if there is not a widely-utilized vaccine by the fall, and if the disease becomes endemic, it is likely to recur in the fall, particularly as control measures are loosened. Once a player becomes infected, you really cannot have organized team activities really among any team. One infection has the potential to shut everything down across the board.

I could see a scenario where our control measures and seasonality have combined to drive infections to a low enough level where the season starts in September... and then 4-6 weeks later when infections start to recur, shutting down again.

Overall, I think there are two scenarios by which we could have a football season, neither of them likely: a widely utilized, effective vaccine, or: substantial control measure and seasonal decline in COVID activity without a transition to an endemic state.

What happens with the money if there is no season?
This is why there will be a football season. Good gosh people football season is still FOUR months away. This BS will stop here May 1. However, those who watch CNN and MSNBC will not think football season will start on time. I trust nobody on this board gives credence to those non-credible "news" outlets.

Chico Dusty

Curious. Why?

I honestly don’t know what to think...I guess it’s just a feeling, but I just don’t see how this all blows over by September to where 50k + ppl can gather on a consistent basis.

And to clarify my “hard to even comprehend” comment wasn’t in reference to having the season. It was directed towards - hard to comprehend there being a fall with no college football.

Last edited:

jake102

I honestly don’t know what to think...I guess it’s just a feeling, but I just don’t see how this all blows over by September to where 50k + ppl can gather on a consistent basis.

And to clarify my “hard to even comprehend” comment wasn’t in reference to having the season. It was directed towards - hard to comprehend there being a fall with no college football.

Presidents and ADs need to get their [ Finebaum ] together and make a plan. I don’t see how a spring season works, and I’ve seen some coaches and ADs say the same. You can’t finish a season in May and then start a new one in September.

I’m shocked none of the major sports have a plan in place

Tumbleweed

Believe we will but changes on start date. Early spring possibly or late fall start. And straight into conference schedule. With this scenario basketball becomes a problem

tcumaniac

This is why there will be a football season. Good gosh people football season is still FOUR months away. This BS will stop here May 1. However, those who watch CNN and MSNBC will not think football season will start on time. I trust nobody on this board gives credence to those non-credible "news" outlets.

It's been a pretty common statement among coaches that they need the players back on campus at least 60 days before the season begins. A month of conditioning to get the players back in football shape, and a month of camp to teach football and prepare the team (especially since there was no spring practice).

That deadline of needing the players back on campus is just over 2 months away.

In today's current environment, hard to say with any semblance of confidence that it's likely to happen.

Eight

It's been a pretty common statement among coaches that they need the players back on campus at least 60 days before the season begins. A month of conditioning to get the players back in football shape, and a month of camp to teach football and prepare the team (especially since there was no spring practice).

In today's current environment, hard to say with any semblance of confidence that it's likely to happen.

agree completely and it simply isn't a matter of the ncaa or the networks agreeing on getting the programs back up and running.

mentioned before that i ran into a family friend who plays at cal and he is not overly optimistic right now about berkley opening up next fall to students based upon the thing he was hearing before he drove home

Wexahu

I am hopeful a lot changes between now and June 1 as it pertains to the virus.

jake102

agree completely and it simply isn't a matter of the ncaa or the networks agreeing on getting the programs back up and running.

mentioned before that i ran into a family friend who plays at cal and he is not overly optimistic right now about berkley opening up next fall to students based upon the thing he was hearing before he drove home

I could see that being the biggest issue.... a few areas of the country may need to stay shut down longer (New York, California). What do you do with them?

Eight

I could see that being the biggest issue.... a few areas of the country may need to stay shut down longer (New York, California). What do you do with them?

big unknowns, and the college coaches/ commissioners have already said they aren't going to play if students aren't back on campus

i can very much see certain areas of the country locking down while others open up.