• The KillerFrogs

So for the 1st time in forever we have more bats than spots....

Punter1

...which is awesome. Tons of ways to play with the lineup.

Kinda thinking this after four games.

1. Probably need to find a way to have Alex Isola playing 3 outta 4 games Dude can hit....a whole lot better than ZH but ZH us pretty good defensively so I can see some Isola at DH and Porter Brown in the outfield somewhere sitting Keefer once a week or so.

2. Curious when Adam O comes back where he hits.

3.I still think Wolfe should move up outta the 9 hole. He's too good to be down there. Maybe put Adam O there so there's no pressure.

4. Feel bad for Shepard...that is all.

5. Not hitting related but dont think we've seen Dion Henderson or LSU transfer John Kodros. I know innings are scarce but I'm interested in seeing these two soon. Any info on those guys??

Pharm Frog

We're winning games and there's lots of optimism and justifiably so. At some point (and maybe more than once), we're gonna need to be reminded about this. Frogs will hit a rough patch or two or more. Inevitable. But I think there's some real upside potential with this team. I really liked what I saw from our new 2B last night in the way of some subtle leadership and as an encourager. Generally speaking I'm not fan of second basemen (chirpy coach's kids who manage to get you into fights that aren't your's to fight) but if you're gonna have a field leader and it's not your catcher, I think 2B is a good place to have some leadership and energy. I also liked some of the hitting approaches which showed some maturity.

I'm kidding about second basemen but not be much.

tcumaniac

We're winning games and there's lots of optimism and justifiably so. At some point (and maybe more than once), we're gonna need to be reminded about this. Frogs will hit a rough patch or two or more. Inevitable. But I think there's some real upside potential with this team. I really liked what I saw from our new 2B last night in the way of some subtle leadership and as an encourager. Generally speaking I'm not fan of second basemen (chirpy coach's kids who manage to get you into fights that aren't your's to fight) but if you're gonna have a field leader and it's not your catcher, I think 2B is a good place to have some leadership and energy. I also liked some of the hitting approaches which showed some maturity.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the subtle leadership you saw? Wasn't able to watch the game.

Zubaz

I'm not fan of second basemen (chirpy coach's kids who manage to get you into fights that aren't your's to fight)
story-time-early-childhood-academy.jpg

froginmn

Ha - my daughter, who I coach in softball , plays 2B.

She's not chirpy, though, mostly quiet but in the last two years has taken more of a leadership role.

Exception that proves the rule I suppose.

Punter1

Javy Baez. He's treating 2B as another SS position which I'm cool with, especially as a huge Cubs fan. Can't have too many leaders especially if the SS is quiet. Kinda like the new age, bigger more vocal 2B.

But I hear ya...in the past most 2Bs were gritty, noisy 5-8 white dudes that batted 2nd, fouled off 100 pitches and pissed ya off.

Punter1

Kodros isn’t eligible. And I’m not sure there’s any guarantee Oviedo plays regularly when he’s healthy.

You still have to sit out a year?? Just kidding. Darn...was looking forward to seeing him.

And I would hope Adam O is better then Goodlowe and Shepard but maybe not...

Leap Frog

...which is awesome. Tons of ways to play with the lineup.

Kinda thinking this after four games.

1. Probably need to find a way to have Alex Isola playing 3 outta 4 games Dude can hit....a whole lot better than ZH but ZH us pretty good defensively so I can see some Isola at DH and Porter Brown in the outfield somewhere sitting Keefer once a week or so.

2. Curious when Adam O comes back where he hits.

3.I still think Wolfe should move up outta the 9 hole. He's too good to be down there. Maybe put Adam O there so there's no pressure.

4. Feel bad for Shepard...that is all.

5. Not hitting related but dont think we've seen Dion Henderson or LSU transfer John Kodros. I know innings are scarce but I'm interested in seeing these two soon. Any info on those guys??
Before season started, Isola was going to be DH. No worry, he'll be an everyday player. Good post and I think you nailed it.

Purp

I was going to say something similar. And in an attempt to deploy the reverse hex, we're going to everyone ready to fill in for injured players.

Pharm Frog

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the subtle leadership you saw? Wasn't able to watch the game.

There were at least three occasions that Henry displayed some encouragement and leadership. Twice this had to do with mound visits which are becoming a real hot button issue this season. Both times the pitchers were struggling finding the zone (different pitchers) and Henry was right in there smiling, talking, looking positive and once he had his hand on the pitcher's back shoulder which looked like a nonverbal way of saying that we've got your back out here and you can do it. Then there was the time when Wolfe threw the ball into the track complex (exaggeration)....Henry jogged over and patted him on the back. It's entirely possible that I was reading too much into a few of these scenarios but it sure was good to see because baseball is a grind enough as it is...nice to have someone bringing some energy, pick-me-up, and positivity out there on the field.

Last edited:

Punter1

ZH needs to be apreciated for what he is..... a really solid defensive catcher. If you try to replace him to get more offense the trade off is gonna be someone who isn’t nearly as good behind the plate. Give me the defense personally.

I agree...that's why I would like AI in the DH spot on the weekends on maybe catching Green on Tuesdays.

Kinda surprised we havent seen Brown at all in the outfield. Maybe an arm issue??