• The KillerFrogs

So, about those Officials...

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Was a bad call, but didn’t cost us anything but 2 minutes of game time. Also gave Max another TD pass and 70 passing yards.
It may have cost a return TD for DD. It also had the effect of throwing another bucket of cold water on a Frog team that had just been screwed out of 2 first down spots and a blatant PI that was ignored by half the Officiating crew. Bad calls demoralize a team, and I don't care what team it is. A series of bad calls compounds that demoralization. Luckily, as you point out, all was made well by some crisp execution and another score to add to an already big lead.

In a close game, where things are extremely tight, a series of calls like that will crush a team.

TechAdvisor

That was a bad call but it's certainly not isolated to TCU. In the Texas Tech vs Texas game, Texas Tech had Hudson Card dead to rights, was dragging him down, he throws the ball, didn't cross the LOS, weren't any receivers in the area. Refs got together and decided not to call intentional grounded due to "#9 in the area". Texas didn't have a #9 on the field.

In the Texas Tech vs. Kansas State game. Texas Tech was down 9, driving with two minutes left in Kansas State territory. Texas Tech completes a 20 yard pass, they spot it a good 5 yards short of where he caught it. Tech lines up and snaps the ball, you hear whistles, see a ref running towards the LOS waiving his hands to stop the play, you're thinking to review the previous spot, but the Texas Tech QB throws an interception and the refs swallow their whistle. They simply acted like nothing happened and it's KSU ball. Game over.

This was the same crew that called the Bryce Young safety/roughing the passer call in the Alabama vs Texas game.

I agree that it's more likely just sheer incompetence, but one would think eventually you would have one of those incompetence moments break in your favor at some point. When all of them go the other way, it's beyond frustrating.

Then there is the phantom fair catch. shouldn’t be any gray area there. Keep the freaking flag in your pants and then review it. Might have beaten Judge to 62 if the official wasn’t hallucinatin…
OU’s offensive line is infamous for holding but if you go back to the tape and watch the OU TD run at 8:56 left in the 2nd Qtr., you will see a mugging at the point of attack with no call. TCU is ahead 34-10, a couple of plays before you had the targeting/ concussion of the OU QB1 and it looks like the game is getting out of hand. OU pulling lineman #56 literally puts his arm so far around the TCU safety’s (#4) upper back that his hand obscures the top part of the #4 on TCU player’s jersey and the lineman pulls the TCU safety’s head toward him and down. The TCU safety bends at the waist to try to get away but is forced to the ground. This is all happening less than 1 yard from where the RB is passing by on the way to the end zone so this was no “away from the play” infraction. Best view of this assault comes from the replay, which is shot at field level, from behind the TCU defense.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I agree that it's more likely just sheer incompetence, but one would think eventually you would have one of those incompetence moments break in your favor at some point. When all of them go the other way, it's beyond frustrating.
I think we've both watched the years of the SWC, and now the BIGXII, where the Conference has it's Bell Cows. The Bell Cows are to be coddled, and carefully walked through the Shadow of Defeat, so that everybody can get a big payoff at the end of the season. After all, the TV People want the Big Name Programs as Showcases for the Playoff, dont'cha know...

What I don't get is the knee-jerk, involuntary reaction of Conference Officials where UT and OU are concerned, now that they are no longer Bell Cows, but Dead Cows Walking In The Slaughter Chute, waiting their turn. Why coddle teams that are out of it? Especially at the expense of good teams who aren't?

I know, I know. Occam's Razor says it's incompetence. Yet, if this were so, these calls would balance out in the end. Perhaps the Conference has let it out on the down-low that the thumbs are going onto different balance pans starting this week...

Volare

Check the replay of the long OU run that was nearly a TD. Replay reversed it and they scored on the next play. But watch the side judge on the long run (nearly into the end zone). He correctly points down at the ground that the guy steps out at the 1.5 yard line. Emphatically perhaps. But then he looks at his buddy across the field and calls TD. WTH is that??

The fact that he stepped out and that it was pointed by the side judge was visible in the stadium FROM THE OPPOSITE END ZONE.

I think we've both watched the years of the SWC, and now the BIGXII, where the Conference has it's Bell Cows. The Bell Cows are to be coddled, and carefully walked through the Shadow of Defeat, so that everybody can get a big payoff at the end of the season. After all, the TV People want the Big Name Programs as Showcases for the Playoff, dont'cha know...

What I don't get is the knee-jerk, involuntary reaction of Conference Officials where UT and OU are concerned, now that they are no longer Bell Cows, but Dead Cows Walking In The Slaughter Chute, waiting their turn. Why coddle teams that are out of it? Especially at the expense of good teams who aren't?

I know, I know. Occam's Razor says it's incompetence. Yet, if this were so, these calls would balance out in the end. Perhaps the Conference has let it out on the down-low that the thumbs are going onto different balance pans starting this week...
Michael Jordan always got the call. I don’t think TCU has been the Michael Jordan of our conference since Sam Baugh and Davey were on campus. I note that most of these blown calls occurred when the games was still somewhat close. After TCU pulled away, magically the garbage calls appeared to end.

LVH

You see this a lot in basketball, specifically with the Gonzaga's of the world, and Butler back when they were in the Horizon. The smaller conferences love to protect their bellcows.

East Coast

Tier 1
Check the replay of the long OU run that was nearly a TD. Replay reversed it and they scored on the next play. But watch the side judge on the long run (nearly into the end zone). He correctly points down at the ground that the guy steps out at the 1.5 yard line. Emphatically perhaps. But then he looks at his buddy across the field and calls TD. WTH is that??

The fact that he stepped out and that it was pointed by the side judge was visible in the stadium FROM THE OPPOSITE END ZONE.
The side judge was by far the worst of this crew; to the point where I'd be looking at the educational background of him and his family, and also where he might have hidden his reward.

If they had admitted the phantom fair catch was an inadvertent whistle (we screwed up folks), I wouldn't have been so mad at that call. Instead they double downed on the fair catch call, thereby making another error by not calling Davis for a delay of game.

But honestly, I don't think football officiating has gotten worse or more biased over the years. It's just everyone can see it; they are naked in the sun.

Froggy Style

While they should have gotten it right...you are reading into their actions as nefarious, when it is just how they communicate. He is pointing and looking to his co-ref to indicate that his call is waiting for the other ref to call the player out before he signals TD. Without that ref saying that he saw the player out, he proceeds with a TD call. He is not pointing to say, "I see that he is out, but I'm not calling it."