• The KillerFrogs

SMU's Massive 3 Star decommitments

asleep003

Since the 25th of December, The Ponies have had six 3 Star decommitments. That is pretty devastating over the last 6 weeks, for a G5 to digest in such a qaulity conference, as the AAC.

Last edited:

HG73

Big article in DMN this morning about Sonny's recruiting contacts in Texas and especially around here. I think this hire will be good for the Ponies. Having said that, I still hate SMU.

Leap Frog

Big article in DMN this morning about Sonny's recruiting contacts in Texas and especially around here. I think this hire will be good for the Ponies. Having said that, I still hate SMU.
Why do we hate SMU-- is it because of Pony Gate or is it something else?
You are entitled to your opinion, but for personal reasons, I do not hate SMU.
I'll probably get smacked for this, but I have lifelong friends who attended that school.
To me, as a Frog fan, I have a friendly rivalry with those folks, but I love them otherwise.
Nothing personal HG73, I just think we have enough hate already, and you may have other reasons.
BTW-- go Frogs!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Why do we hate SMU-- is it because of Pony Gate or is it something else?
You are entitled to your opinion, but for personal reasons, I do not hate SMU.
I'll probably get smacked for this, but I have lifelong friends who attended that school.
To me, as a Frog fan, I have a friendly rivalry with those folks, but I love them otherwise.
Nothing personal HG73, I just think we have enough hate already, and you may have other reasons.
BTW-- go Frogs!

I’m kind of with you there. I don’t really understand the SMU hatred. I enjoy it quietly when we beat them. But my brother went there and played baseball. He never said a word about football during their hay (or pay) days to me and I enjoy being overly silent now. I did enjoy sending a picture of the baseball stadium after it was built, because even our old field made their city park field look bad.

I will and forever hate UT and A&M. Baylor isn’t worthy of the energy...

tetonfrog

It is nice that you guys don't hate SMU any more. I have not reached that place yet. I still remember their fans starting fights at Moody during games with me, their fans running on ACS when they upset us and the fact that 99% of the people I have met in Dallas at SMU game are complete POS.

But go ahead and give them a hug, watch the 30 for 30 episode again and brag about how much you hate baylor and UT and ATM.........I will always hate SMU the most and really enjoy watching the Frogs beat their ass every year in football. Hope we start an epic win streak in hoops now, too.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
It is nice that you guys don't hate SMU any more. I have not reached that place yet. I still remember their fans starting fights at Moody during games with me, their fans running on ACS when they upset us and the fact that 99% of the people I have met in Dallas at SMU game are complete POS.

But go ahead and give them a hug, watch the 30 for 30 episode again and brag about how much you hate baylor and UT and ATM.........I will always hate SMU the most and really enjoy watching the Frogs beat their ass every year in football. Hope we start an epic win streak in hoops now, too.

I don’t think anyone is bragging about anything. There is an implied self accomplishment to bragging and I don’t think it is any big deal to dislike one more than another. And I never did hate them, so “anymore” doesn’t really apply. SMU is kInd of like the Baylor just more harmless. I just don’t want to waste the energy on a bunch of TCU wannabes.

I don’t know why SMUs cheating bothers you. You should applaud them wrecking their program if you hate them so much. The Aggies and Horns have been a far bigger pain in the butt to TCU than the pony people.

Hating SMU is like holding a grudge against a ten year old for shop lifting.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
I'm trying to see this issue from many angles:

Assume that their close proximity and our long history of playing them still motivate feelings of rivalry with SMU.

No longer are we competing for the same conference crown, or (in my view) really competing for the same level of recruits. I know, I know a local 3-star is still a 3-star, but with our sustained success and national rankings we are bumping heads with the TAMs, UTs and LSUs more than the My Little Ponies.

Set aside for the moment the question of which program we'd most like to defeat...after BU, isn't SMU still the program we'd least like to loose to?

There are arguments pro and con whether SmeeeW remains good enough to remain a rival worthy of hate. No question though, we need them to be good enough to stop lowering our strength of schedule.

Froginbedford

I think in general, younger people don’t hate SMU and older people do. Makes sense from a historical standpoint of who was kicking whose arse at the time.

Fort Worth vs. Dallas...TCU vs. SMU....Economically, Fort Worth began to rise in the late 1990s and early 2000s, especially about the same time as the rise of TCU football...That 15-year losing streak to SMU didn't help matters for those with chronological giftedness....

Leap Frog

As I said, with me it's a matter of personal preference-- not saying that your opinion is wrong.
Life is too short to live it hating. With apologies to TxFrog 1999, whom I consider a great Frog.

I think in general, younger people don’t hate SMU and older people do. Makes sense from a historical standpoint of who was kicking whose arse at the time.
Yes, the cheating and winning and the way they handled it makes us oldies hate them, although like Leap I have some great friends from SMU and some family members (now deceased) went there (and taught there) as well. Having said that, in the "30 for 30" days those were some great smash mouth football games against the SMU pros. TCU fought hard in those games, and if not for Scirafa stepping out of bounds uncontested on that late drive where No. 2 SMU eventually held us off on two goal-line-stands from the 1 the Frogs would have won. Was on the TCU sidelines for that game and had a clear view of Anthony stepping out of bounds with NO ONE around him. The Mike Ford QB sneak at Texas Stadium also comes to mind as well as the '81 game at TS when we had a 4th-qtr lead. Since the death penalty, however, my hate kind of went away although I hate losing to them in football on the rare ocessions.