• The KillerFrogs

SMU alumni group to contribute over $1 million annually to football’s NIL program

hiphopfroggy

Paul Loyd, the person the school’s Loyd All-Sports Center is named after, will lead the group that plans to donate funds.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/s...-1-million-annually-to-footballs-nil-program/

When it comes to Name, Image and Likeness, some SMU alumni are looking to “Pony Up” the dough.

Businessman Paul Loyd, an SMU graduate and the person the school’s Loyd All-Sports Center is named after, will lead an alumni group that plans to contribute over $1 million annually to a NIL program tied to SMU football, according to a press release on Tuesday.

Former football players Eric Dickerson – a Hall of Famer at both the NFL and college level -- Luke Crossland, Dick Anderson, Kelvin Beachum and Richie Butler are also expected to support the program. The program will incorporate “NIL Learnships,” which they say will provide one-on-one mentor programs between players and business leaders.

SMU once received The Death Penalty for paying players, setting the football program back for decades. Now, the Pony Up program can do it legally in the NIL era.

punter9

That is making a lot of social media waves for what is honestly in the scheme of things not that great of a sum. It’s the right model in the nil era. However, mid tier p5 teams probably need to think $10m a year and the blue bloods much more. $1m is less than 2% of a relevant teams football budget. Just tell the boosters to keep $10m a year and fund nil

TRF51

Anyone know what our numbers look like? I have seen the twitter post that is old and since then I am sure more people have given more $$$ and I have seen new donor groups being assembled since.

ECM

That is making a lot of social media waves for what is honestly in the scheme of things not that great of a sum. It’s the right model in the nil era. However, mid tier p5 teams probably need to think $10m a year and the blue bloods much more. $1m is less than 2% of a relevant teams football budget. Just tell the boosters to keep $10m a year and fund nil
$10M/year would be over $100K per scholarship player; obviously the NIL money isn’t getting distributed evenly but if that’s the going rate then you’re going to see the field of competitive programs shrink to about 20 or so real fast.

asleep003

$10M/year would be over $100K per scholarship player; obviously the NIL money isn’t getting distributed evenly but if that’s the going rate then you’re going to see the field of competitive programs shrink to about 20 or so real fast.
Probly 40 to 50. You have to include all the SEC/Big10/Some B12/Some P12and some ACC alumni.

YA

See you later smu. We got more than that in one nil program by end of year. There are several nil groups at TCU contributing millions. We are not lacking in people donating.

ECM

See you later smu. We got more than that in one nil program by end of year. There are several nil groups at TCU contributing millions. We are not lacking in people donating.
If that were true, you’d be recruiting a lot better than you are

ECM

I’m sorry I know quite a bit more than you on this subject.

In fact, when one smu fan posts something that is true it will be a first.
Yeah, if TCU had $10M to spend on NIL over the next 12 months Zach Evans would not be checking out Oxford and Knoxville.

Latest posts