• The KillerFrogs

Skydiving

Young and Horned

Went tandem skydiving this weekend. I must say, it was amazing. I cannot wait to go again and to one day be able to jump solo.

A real rush and have to think God would want us to see the world this way haha.

Got a nice photo of my throwing up the Frogs from 12,000 feet up and falling 125 mph.

Anyone else been skydiving? If so, anywhere else other than Texas? I really want to go some places where the scenery is truly amazing on the way down (ocean, mountains, forests, monuments). Anyone ever done so in any places like that?

Posted the photo as an attachment, not sure how to just put into message.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Young and Horned @ Apr 13 2010, 10:30 AM) [snapback]544143[/snapback]
Went tandem skydiving this weekend. I must say, it was amazing. I cannot wait to go again and to one day be able to jump solo.

Got a nice photo of my throwing up the Frogs from 12,000 feet up and falling 125 mph.

Anyone else been skydiving? If so, anywhere else other than Texas? I really want to go some places where the scenery is truly amazing on the way down (ocean, mountains, forests, monuments). Anyone ever done so in any places like that?

Awesome! I can't imagine jumping out of a perfectly working plane ... :rolleyes:

Sean

Administrator
I got my "A" license last year and have been jumping ever sense...there's no thrill that comes close! Of all the places I've jumped, Skydive Hawai'i is the best...mountains, ocean, prairie, clouds, islands...

Young and Horned

Yeah. Funny photo with my tandem master just being the grinning goblin he is haha.

At the end of the video, the guy is interviewing me and wind picks up and yanks my guy back about 15 yards. Was pretty awesome to catch on video.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Young and Horned @ Apr 13 2010, 10:39 AM) [snapback]544151[/snapback]
Yeah. Funny photo with my tandem master just being the grinning goblin he is haha.

At the end of the video, the guy is interviewing me and wind picks up and yanks my guy back about 15 yards. Was pretty awesome to catch on video.

you have the video uploaded to You Tube or somewhere?

Young and Horned

QUOTE(Matthew @ Apr 13 2010, 10:38 AM) [snapback]544150[/snapback]
I got my "A" license last year and have been jumping ever sense...there's no thrill that comes close! Of all the places I've jumped, Skydive Hawai'i is the best...mountains, ocean, prairie, clouds, islands...

Yeah, my girlfriend (who also jumped) and I really want to go there and jump some time in the future. Also, I think Colorado would be pretty cool. Read Montana is pretty nice as well.

YA

Was that SkyDive Dallas? Wife and I did our 1st jumps there. Good place but a haul from Fort Worth to the McKinney area.

Young and Horned

QUOTE(YA @ Apr 13 2010, 11:35 AM) [snapback]544191[/snapback]
Was that SkyDive Dallas? Wife and I did our 1st jumps there. Good place but a haul from Fort Worth to the McKinney area.

Yeah. Saw them at Taste of Addison last year, figured it was time to get this done. My girlfriend's parents live in Frisco and I have family in Allen and Wylie, so was able to kill a few birds with one trip.

Really enjoyed Skydive Dallas. Could not imagine a better place around here. But who knows.

rM3panno

Funny, I thought I was the only person who has done this. During my MAc year at TCU I went to Chile for the 2 week study abroad course. Two MBA students and I decided that the lake/volcano region of Chile would be a great place to skydive for the first time. I have on DVD myself and the shear look of terror over my face as I throw the Frog up and jump.

BTW, it turned out to be an amazing place to jump. I was surrounded by volcanoes and associated mountain ranges while swinging over a beautiful lake for parts of the descent.

TCURiggs

Very nice. I did Skydive Dallas a few years ago and had a blast. Me and my now brother-in-law went and were the only two in the class that day, so the tandem insturctors were pretty cool with us. We told them we were up for whatever during the freefall, which was a mistake. They pulled one side of our arms back and we spun like a ceiling fan on the way down. I was a dizzy SOB, but it was a great experience.

I jumped over 10 years ago on my 21st birthday. I swore I'd do it on every birthday for the rest of my life, ala G.H.W. Bush, but for some reason I haven't. I'd love to do it again. My VHS tape is all jacked up and probably lost for good. I think mine was with Skydive Dallas as well but it was out by Decatur on 380. I don't think it's there anymore. There was a big emu farm next door and I thought it would be awesome to land on one and ride one like a horse or bull.

The wind was about 27 MPH that day (they almost didn't let us jump) and one of the guys jumping solo missed the landing area by a few football fields and ended up hanging from a tree for a while until some local volunteer fire department arrived to cut him down from the tree. I would have loved to have seen that. We couldn't land in the pea gravel b/c of the land and the instructor damn near broke my legs upon landing.

For those scared to do it, the hardest part is jumping. Once you nut up and jump it's well worth the ride to the ground.

Young and Horned

Haha. Awesome storied. That does sound nice Jack. Will have to put that on the list.

Yah, it was pretty busy Sunday. But they got us through the class pretty quick. My gf had a guy who had jumped into Iraq a couple of times (he said). My guy was older, but really cool. Did a few spins when chute was deployed and he said it was 3Gs. Was pretty tight on the crotch harness.

Was a ton of fun. I am like you Phormer. I REALLY want to do it each year. Think that would be pretty awesome. Would like to get certified at some point too. Hopefully it wouldnt be a dying hobby like my scuba diving. Got certified, and never been anywhere since, lol.

HoustonHornedFrog

QUOTE(Young and Horned @ Apr 13 2010, 10:30 AM) [snapback]544143[/snapback]

Jumped for my birthday a few years back at Skydive Houston. Skipped the tandem thing though and went straight for the solo jump.
Had such a good time, I gave my mom a tandem jump for her 65th birthday (also a loyal Frog).