• The KillerFrogs

Since golf is the only sport on now really...a quick note about a couple pro Frogs...

Bob Sugar

So most of us know Tom Hoge and JJ Henry are playing the PGA Tour but a couple other Frogs are still trying to compete on the Korn Ferry Tour...

Robbie Ormond Monday qualified today with a 9 under 63 to make the KF event in San Antonio. JJ Killeen did not qualify today but should be back on the KF tour later this year at some point.

Killeen has one of the best Twitter pages I've ever seen...he's freaking hilarious and has a ton of great golf tips. Go give him a follow...its awesome.

Yep...following the Korn Ferry tour closely now....sympton of extreme sports deprivation.

By the way, thanks for the WTDRP recommendation on twitter. Killeen crushes it daily.

Ugh. Another SMU [ profanity ] leading stroke play so far. They've had a good run in the US Amateur since Hank Kuehne won in 98. Colt Knost won in 2007, and DeChambeau won in 2015.

JogginFrog

Fernandez de Oliveira finishes at Even, which is currently T38, so he should be safely into match play. Lots of players still out on the course, but the cut for match play looks to fall at +1 or +2. Some top ams on the wrong side of that number at the moment, including defending champ Andy Ogletree, both Coody brothers and Cole Hammer.

Fernandez de Oliveira finishes at Even, which is currently T38, so he should be safely into match play. Lots of players still out on the course, but the cut for match play looks to fall at +1 or +2. Some top ams on the wrong side of that number at the moment, including defending champ Andy Ogletree, both Coody brothers and Cole Hammer.
In my opinion, the US Amateur is the hardest tournament for the best player(s) at the time to “win” in all of top level golf. Match play has a way of sneaking up on the best overall players. Just takes one hot player to get eliminated. One “average” day in 7 total rounds and you’ll likely lose.

froggolf65

In my opinion, the US Amateur is the hardest tournament for the best player(s) at the time to “win” in all of top level golf. Match play has a way of sneaking up on the best overall players. Just takes one hot player to get eliminated. One “average” day in 7 total rounds and you’ll likely lose.
Western Amateur takes this category. 72 holes stroke play followed by the top 16 players into match play.

Punter1

By the way, thanks for the WTDRP recommendation on twitter. Killeen crushes it daily.

Your welcome. JJ is hysterical. Plus his golf lesson/tips are outstanding. In just two, two minute videos he gave me a super easy swing thought i had never seen before that fixed my snap hook miss and got me back into the 70s.

He should be a follow of EVERY TCU fan...

JogginFrog

Mateo Fernandez de Oliveira faces David Perkins in the U.S. Amateur round of 64. Perkins (Illinois State) is the 41st-ranked amateur, and was recently runner-up at the Southern Amateur (FdO finished T21). So, not an easy draw. If he wins today's match, he is likely to face Baylor's Travis McInroe. McInroe is seeded 4th out of qualifying, but has a much lower ranking in WAGR.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Fernandez de Oliveira defeats Perkins 3&1, making four birdies against a single bogey. In the round of 32, he'll face Sam Harned, who dispatched Baylor's McInroe 4&3.

Harned's is a good story; he walked on at Nevada, earned a scholarship as a soph, then went on to earn all-MWC honors. His World Amateur Golf Ranking is very close to FdO's (low 200s).

Bogey on 18 for Hoge. Tied for lead with 62.

Fernandez de Oliveira won his match today (sorry for the spoiler). Advances to final 16, which is going on now. Excellent work there. He's two down after 2 holes to 18-yr-old Michael Thorbjornsen (set to enroll at Stanford this month). Only 3 of the top 20 seeds advanced to final 16.

JogginFrog

Charles Coody reached the U.S. Amateur semis in 1962; assuming that is the best finish for a Frog in the event.

Next might be Mateo Fernandez de Oliveira.

His next opponent, Michael Thorbjornsen, has won the U.S. Junior title and is currently 43rd in WAGR. He's almost certainly the only player in the field whose caddie is a higher-ranked player than he is. Karl Vilips is ranked 10th but out due to injury, so he took on bag duty for his incoming Stanford teammate.

Charles Coody reached the U.S. Amateur semis in 1962; assuming that is the best finish for a Frog in the event.

Next might be Mateo Fernandez de Oliveira.

His next opponent, Michael Thorbjornsen, has won the U.S. Junior title and is currently 43rd in WAGR. He's almost certainly the only player in the field whose caddie is a higher-ranked player than he is. Karl Vilips is ranked 10th but out due to injury, so he took on bag duty for his incoming Stanford teammate.
Thorbjornsen proved to be a tough draw today and won the match. Kid has a lot of game for an incoming freshman. He has the makings of a superstar. Very sound technically.

As much as I hate to admit it, this Osborne kid from SMU has the most "professional" looking game out of what I've seen so far. He could make some noise.

JogginFrog

Thorbjornsen proved to be a tough draw today and won the match. Kid has a lot of game for an incoming freshman. He has the makings of a superstar. Very sound technically.

Yes, F de O ran into a better player this afternoon. In his round of 32 match Thorbjornsen was 2 down through 7 and then steamrolled the guy with three birdies and an eagle in 5 holes.

Great run for F de O, and he's just a soph.