• The KillerFrogs

SI: College Leaders Urging NCAA to Enforce New NIL Guidelines, Or Else

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

College Leaders Urging NCAA to Enforce New NIL Guidelines, Or Else​

Athletic directors say schools with boosters who have struck deals with players who have not yet signed with schools should be sanctioned.
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz.—Inside the Hyatt Regency at Gainey Ranch, the lavish resort on the outskirts of Phoenix, dozens of the most powerful people in college sports milled about, parading through the expansive lobby and basking in the sun on the terrace. But, the majority landed deep within conference meeting rooms, searching for answers to what’s become the latest seismic quandary in the industry—the rapidly escalating donor-fueled bidding war for college football and men’s basketball players.

“This is the time we have to put our stake in the ground. Enough! This is not acceptable,” frustrated Colorado athletic director Rick George says. “What we’re doing is not good for intercollegiate athletics, and it has got to stop.”

College leaders are strongly urging the NCAA enforcement team to begin investigating what they deem to be obvious recruiting violations, past and present. Donor-led collectives that have struck deals with players before they sign binding letters of intent are violating rules, says George, one of the leaders of an NCAA working group that will soon publicize additional NIL guidelines.

Read more at https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/06/nil-chaos-leaders-urging-ncaa-new-guidelines

Palliative Care

Yeah we need federal laws about the NIL’s so we can make DA’s start convening Grand Juries to investigate and states declare their own laws too. What a freaking mess this could become.

Palliative Care

I think that in the ensuring legal environment that would follow attempts to enforce guidelines that the NCAA knows that it would both go broke and lose. They are a relict of the past. The NIL is on the new Wild West and there ain’t no Marshall around.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
As others pointed out early on in this drama, "There are no rules."

The NCAA has, as expected, punted. There will be no hard and fast rules, and those they do make will only be enforced on those who cannot fight back. The hogs get fatter and the pigs get slaughtered.

Pharm posted elsewhere that several States are allowing NIL money to flow to H.S. players and even younger kids. My feeling on this is that kids are already far and away too entitled as it is due to Social Media. Now they're going to get buckets of money thrown at them. That right there is a hypergolic combo meal that will end in nothing more than flaming wreckage.

Enjoy these next couple of years of College sports. They will probably be the last recognizable years to many of us.

Palliative Care

The guillotine relieves neck pain almost immediately. Five out of six did not report pain afterwards.
Of course for you research geeks, I realized that the n-value is a little low so a larger study may need to be done.

FrogAbroad

"...dozens of the most powerful people in college sports milled about, parading through the expansive lobby and basking in the sun on the terrace. But, the majority landed deep within conference meeting rooms, searching for answers to what’s become the latest seismic quandary in the industry—the rapidly escalating donor-fueled bidding war for college football and men’s basketball players."

Looks to me like all these ADs are mostly trying to avoid being the 15th piglet...

Palliative Care

The twin monsters of the NIL and the portal are reeking havoc in all sports. AD’s no longer can just stand by and complain. The NCAA is in its death throes. An organization that can not enforce its own rules is nothing.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The guillotine relieves neck pain almost immediately. Five out of six did not report pain afterwards.
Of course for you research geeks, I realized that the n-value is a little low so a larger study may need to be done.
According to eyewitness accounts of The Terror, about every 10th head held up by the Revolutionaries was awake and aware. Eyes blinking, mouth moving...

Chongo94

The rules will only be enforced on smaller programs as usual
So true. If no one ever has before, you should Google which schools and what type of athletic endeavors have actually received NCAA death penalties….it’s somewhat eye-opening though not surprising.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Martin Scorsese Laughing GIF