• The KillerFrogs

SI: A Tribute to Bram Kohlhausen

JAB331

Didn't see this posted yet:

TCU Football: A Tribute To Bram Kohlhausen​

TCU's greatest comeback, as remembered by a Sports Ignoramus
by TYLER BROWN

Shortly after TCU's historic comeback win (47-41) over the Oregon Ducks at the 2016 Alamo Bowl, a friend of mine earned several hundred likes for a Facebook post that went something along the lines of: "A bunch of the incoming TCU class in 2034 are going to be named Bram."

Equally impressed, my mentor and late friend, Gregg Franzwa, whose apathy in all things sports-related rivaled only my own, called me shortly after the game, as he knew my parents had twisted my arm into attending, and said: "I didn't expect Superman to make an appearance at that game. I don't know what Frankenstein hijinks happened at the half, but it was nice to see that Superman decided to show up."

I've no doubt that anyone reading this column will have similar stories, insights, memories, and apercus to share, appropriate for the occasion.

As everyone in Frogdom knows, just over a week ago, Bram Kohlhausen, suffered a terrible fall and is currently fighting for his life...

Full Article: https://www.si.com/college/tcu/football/long-live-bram-kohlhausen

Benny

"And when asked to brave inclement elements, I absolutely hated anything involving a ball and air. And as anyone who witnessed the great night of January 2, 2016 can attest, it was a cold, rainy, miserable game I had to endure for two quarters and a seemingly longer halftime.

Needless to say, as we were down 31-0, I made the modest demand of the Father that we leave as soon as possible. "We're getting tanked, I'm cold, pneumonia's about to set in, this is supposed to be fun, it's not fun, what are we waiting for?"

.... I thought that game was in the Alamodome in SA. Sounds like he is describing (weather-wise) the Baylor game in Fort Worth that we won in overtime.

froginmn

I remember being unimpressed by this author before. I let it go, but he's not better.

You don't have to endure two quarters of bad weather inside a dome. And he throws in a strange word like apercu... And describes himself as apathetic about sports before taking a job...as a sports columnist.

Just weird, IMO.

Eight

I remember being unimpressed by this author before. I let it go, but he's not better.

You don't have to endure two quarters of bad weather inside a dome. And he throws in a strange word like apercu... And describes himself as apathetic about sports before taking a job...as a sports columnist.

Just weird, IMO.

so you are saying the self appointed title of sports ignoramus is the most accurate thing associated with the article?

East Coast

Tier 1
"And when asked to brave inclement elements, I absolutely hated anything involving a ball and air. And as anyone who witnessed the great night of January 2, 2016 can attest, it was a cold, rainy, miserable game I had to endure for two quarters and a seemingly longer halftime.

Needless to say, as we were down 31-0, I made the modest demand of the Father that we leave as soon as possible. "We're getting tanked, I'm cold, pneumonia's about to set in, this is supposed to be fun, it's not fun, what are we waiting for?"

.... I thought that game was in the Alamodome in SA. Sounds like he is describing (weather-wise) the Baylor game in Fort Worth that we won in overtime.
Well to be fair, the Alamodome was just as much of a mess inside as the weather was outside. And when you are getting pummeled, it just feels worse.

tjcoffice

It was very miserable for some of us. I took my son - then about 13. He made one bad decision after another. He wore shorts to the game, despite Dad's strong advice to the contrary. Then, at the game, he went to get food and drink. He spilled some cheese from his nachos on his clothes. He went to the bathroom to wash it off. For whatever reason that did not work. So, not the best plan, he thought he could go outside the Alamodome and find a water faucet. There are no water faucets outside the Alamodome. Hello?? He tried to re-enter. All the doors were locked. Hello?? He then tried calling me, but hey, its loud inside the dome, even when my team is losing. Finally, at halftime, I checked my phone and saw several texts and a few attempted phone calls. Imagine my surprise. I went out and found him, thinking we would come back inside. But, the poor guy was freezing and hungry. It was, I thought, a bit cool inside the dome. We were losing at the time by a lot. So, I took him somewhere to warm up and eat. And, it all started with one bad decsion: wearing shorts on a cold, wet day. He will never forget the weather on that day and night, and I guess I will not either.

jack the frog

It was very miserable for some of us. I took my son - then about 13. He made one bad decision after another. He wore shorts to the game, despite Dad's strong advice to the contrary. Then, at the game, he went to get food and drink. He spilled some cheese from his nachos on his clothes. He went to the bathroom to wash it off. For whatever reason that did not work. So, not the best plan, he thought he could go outside the Alamodome and find a water faucet. There are no water faucets outside the Alamodome. Hello?? He tried to re-enter. All the doors were locked. Hello?? He then tried calling me, but hey, its loud inside the dome, even when my team is losing. Finally, at halftime, I checked my phone and saw several texts and a few attempted phone calls. Imagine my surprise. I went out and found him, thinking we would come back inside. But, the poor guy was freezing and hungry. It was, I thought, a bit cool inside the dome. We were losing at the time by a lot. So, I took him somewhere to warm up and eat. And, it all started with one bad decsion: wearing shorts on a cold, wet day. He will never forget the weather on that day and night, and I guess I will not either.

I feel for you regarding the game but this post made me smile. Young teenage males = bad decision machines.

SwissArmyFrog

Well to be fair, the Alamodome was just as much of a mess inside as the weather was outside. And when you are getting pummeled, it just feels worse.

I saw a couple of Baylor fans sporting green jerseys walking around a concessions area...after the game I remember thinking that I hoped they stayed till the end!

froginmn

It was very miserable for some of us. I took my son - then about 13. He made one bad decision after another. He wore shorts to the game, despite Dad's strong advice to the contrary.
I've had season tickets for U of Minnesota football since before the new stadium opened in 2009. That first year my family went to a game in October and it was cold outside. My then ten year old son insisted on wearing shorts and a T- shirt. We argued with him about it but finally decided to let him learn a lesson.

For those who saw the TCU game there, our seats are a few sections down from the visitors section and thus on the sunny side. We learned that day that full sun warms it up by about 30 degrees. I was sweating and taking off layers of clothes and the boy was saying, see?

BTW that TCU game set an attendance record that still stands.