• The KillerFrogs

SFGate: Current, former Hawaii players detail alleged mistreatment and abuse under coach Todd Graham

HornyWartyToad

Sounds awfully familiar, emphasis on the "awful." Hoping we have turned the page on that kind of junk, for good. If you can't motivate your people without being nasty to them you don't belong in a leadership role:

Multiple current and former Hawaii players are speaking out and alleging mistreatment and abuse at the hands of head coach Todd Graham, according to a report from SFGate.com’s Marc Delucchi.

Hawaii players who played under Graham alleged Monday that he is running a toxic program in which he demeans and verbally abuses players and coaches and ignores them completely. Last week, leading rusher Dae Dae Hunter announced he was transferring, as he felt it was “best for my future and my mental health.” Starting quarterback Chevan Cordeiro followed suit.

“Me and a lot of others can truthfully say Graham has killed our love and passion for football,” one player told SFGate on the condition of anonymity.

Allegations against Hawaii coach Todd Graham​

Graham, according to the report, has “consistently crossed the line in terms of decency and respect” with his players.

Graham allegedly calls his players “dogs***” and other demeaning terms “constantly,” and threatens players’ game time if they question him. He once reportedly told a player to “stop talking back or I’m going to take away your senior year.”

Several assistant coaches have taken the brunt of Graham’s abuse, players said. Multiple players told SFGate that assistants were promoted based on who challenged Graham the least, and one even allegedly refused to ask him a question at practice because he was “just trying not to get yelled at.”

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
American Housewife Greg Otto GIF by ABC Network

froginaustin

Isn't this the same coach that signed a contract with Rice and then about 30 minutes later got an offer he liked better from Tulsa? And walked out on Rice?

If so and after that, why would any athletic director want him? Overruled by Big Money Donors or campus politics, or something?

ED: I am familiar with a professional office where a new associate, highly sought-after by competing employers, didn't even get his desk untidy before packing up and leaving for a better deal. He was the punch line of jokes for several years, and so was the hiring manager that signed him on. Isn't it that way with coaches, particularly head coaches?

HornyWartyToad

Isn't this the same coach that signed a contract with Rice and then about 30 minutes later got an offer he liked better from Tulsa? And walked out on Rice?

If so and after that, why would any athletic director want him? Overruled by Big Money Donors or campus politics, or something?
Winning, even if it's fluke, will get you gigs. He was clever enough to hire Gus Malzahn as his OC at Tulsa to make himself look good. And yes, he bailed on Rice (and CDC, somewhat ironically) right after signing an extension after, I think, one season at Rice.

froggy

Winning, even if it's fluke, will get you gigs. He was clever enough to hire Gus Malzahn as his OC at Tulsa to make himself look good. And yes, he bailed on Rice (and CDC, somewhat ironically) right after signing an extension after, I think, one season at Rice.
To lower his buyout At rice, then signed with Tulsa, have to think the ad at Tulsa was in on it

FrogAbroad

It's preposterous to shift the blame from the abusers to those who empower them, but those in leadership who, at least in their own minds, rationalize abusive behavior by pointing to the wins column must also bear some responsibility. If you have the power to prevent it or stop it or report it and don't, you've become an accomplice.

HornyWartyToad

To lower his buyout At rice, then signed with Tulsa, have to think the ad at Tulsa was in on it
Lol somehow I can't gin up any pity for CDC getting hornswoggled that way, in retrospect. Even though TG surely seems POS for it and I generally got nothing but good feels for the H-town Hooters.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
Or how they keep getting players to play for them. That's the head scratcher to me.
I would guess most of the guys going to Hawaii don't have many other options. Go play in Hawaii or maybe you can go to NMSU or SFA. Hawaii would seem like a much better place to spend 4 years.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

ED: I am familiar with a professional office where a new associate, highly sought-after by competing employers, didn't even get his desk untidy before packing up and leaving for a better deal. He was the punch line of jokes for several years, and so was the hiring manager that signed him on. Isn't it that way with coaches, particularly head coaches?
We happened to be at the game where the MOB richly lampooned him with "Todd Graham's Inferno" of which the last stanza read (and I paraphrase due to the many years since) "Slowly he approached the last circle of Hell, and before him was a burned, blackend, yet solid door. Upon it was a sign, and it read: 'Welcome to TULSA!'"

PO Frog

Somebody on here or 247 is a buddy of his I recall. Seems like a huge prick though. I thought it was good to be a “dog” though? Or do you have to be a “dawg?”