• The KillerFrogs

Sewo arrested, controlled substance

Billy Clyde

ALWAYS agree to the search. Saying no will make them suspicious and they will get a dog or something to find your boat. Saying No is a dam near admission of guilt.

Best to just agree and hope he doesn't follow thru with the search and or doesn't find it.

Disagree with "always." If you aren't presenting any articulable factors that justify further detention, and they don't have a dog already on site, they can't hold you up any longer than necessary to conclude the traffic stop. In layman's terms, if you say no, politely but firmly, and decline any additional questions, AND there isn't the smell of weed, etc., on you or the car, the traffic stop has to end. They can't hold you up while Bubba brings the dog.

I've never been asked for consent as an adult, but have made the personal decision long ago that I will decline politely if asked. Knowing your rights and insisting on protecting them in a professional manner is a huge deterrent to unnecessary intrusion into your privacy. Of course, I don't smoke weed, so there's that.

Also, wouldn't be the world's worst idea to have your own in-car camera recording everything, since police have had occasion in the past to be a bit creative on the stand when attempting to justify a search at a suppression hearing.

HFrog1999

I'm white...and 100% of the time INNOCENT or not riding dirty. All my cop friends and I have a few say if you are let em search. If you have nothing to hide this is the quickest way out.

I had my truck searched on the way to George West on a hunting trip when he asked if there was guns in the truck...I said be my guest. I grabbed a Diet Coke out of the cooler, offered him one waited till he was done. 10 mins later I was outta there. I asked my cop friends if I did the right thing and they all said yes.

Say yes, don't be confrontational and it'll be over with soon. If you're clean...

In Texas it’s legal for most people to carry a loaded gun in their car without a LTC.

If you don’t have a LTC and you happen to get pulled over within 1,000 feet of a school with a loaded gun and you consent to a search? Via con Dios

OldSchoolFrog

It’s easy to throw out the “smoking away your future, rule thing” because many of the people on this forum clearly are my age and north. I was an Army Officer, and had the same exact situation happen with a few soldiers. I counseled them that, it’s not the crime, but the judgement. Those were combat arms soldiers.... not college football players.

I am not sure how I would approach it today.... Weed is well on it’s way to legalization, and so prevalent in many forms and used by a lot of good people. Unfortunately, a negative of living in a conservative state (and I am a conservative), is that you have to deal with all the evangelical whack jobs and their warped perspective on societal rules that end up in political power positions and hence making and enforcing laws, that is until til they bang some church admin they weren’t married to and it ends up on the news.

Fingers crossed that it was a “ain’t hurting no one” type of offense.

Billy Clyde

I love all the non-lawyers throwing out probable cause for the search. The standard is actually reasonable suspicion, which is lower than probable cause. Gives them a lot of leeway to do what they wish.

No. You need probable cause for a search, at least in the context being discussed here. Reasonable suspicion only allows you to detain someone while you investigate the circumstances to see if there are additional factors that can be discovered to give you probable cause. If the officer can articulate specific facts which give him or her cause to fear for their own safety, they can do a pat-down of the person for weapons. But you can't just go rummaging through a vehicle looking for drugs without probable cause, absent consent.

Punter1

In Texas it’s legal for most people to carry a loaded gun in their car without a LTC.

If you don’t have a LTC and you happen to get pulled over within 1,000 feet of a school with a loaded gun and you consent to a search? Via con Dios

Most cops are reasonable dudes...yea, 5% are aholes like any profession but if you're not doing anything wrong, like most people on this board, they can usually sense that and let you go.

Side note...I've got 4 bumper stickers on my car. TCU Lettermans, NRA, Vote for Ted Cruz and a Texas flag with a thin blue line. All designed to let that officer know I'm a friendly when he approaches me...and hopefully let's me off with a warning for my speeding...which has worked 5x in a row.

LeagueCityFrog

I assume Sewo is kicking it in the Walker County jail today. When is his arraignment or how does this work? And will they said what product the police found in his possession?

My guess is that if Pachall got back on the TCU football team after getting caught pot selling, if Sewo got caught with pot or some derivatives like wax or oil, Gary will have him go through counseling this summer, suspend him for the first game and he's back in good standing after serving his time.

If it was a hard drug as others on here have mentioned above, and how they know that is beyond me, unless they were in Sewo's car, his attorney, or his parents, then Sewo probably toast at TCU.

ftwfrog

Most cops are reasonable dudes...yea, 5% are aholes like any profession but if you're not doing anything wrong, like most people on this board, they can usually sense that and let you go.

Side note...I've got 4 bumper stickers on my car. TCU Lettermans, NRA, Vote for Ted Cruz and a Texas flag with a thin blue line. All designed to let that officer know I'm a friendly when he approaches me...and hopefully let's me off with a warning for my speeding...which has worked 5x in a row.
A TCU letterman’s sticker let’s a cop know that you’re friendly? I know lots of [ Arschloch]s that went to TCU.

(No I’m not going to touch the other bumper stickers.)

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA

I... nevermind. Why does it not shock me you're friends with several cops?

Ok everyone else - do not consent to searches. It's not because you're doing something wrong, but rather principle. We all have rights and other things to do, and officers should not get to go on fishing expeditions.

I say smile and politely say "sir, I don't consent 1. philosophically 2. because I'm doing nothing wrong and 3. I don't want to sit here for the 10 to 15 minutes minimim that's going to take."

TX_Krötenechse

I'm white...and 100% of the time INNOCENT or not riding dirty. All my cop friends and I have a few say if you are let em search. If you have nothing to hide this is the quickest way out.

I had my truck searched on the way to George West on a hunting trip when he asked if there was guns in the truck...I said be my guest. I grabbed a Diet Coke out of the cooler, offered him one waited till he was done. 10 mins later I was outta there. I asked my cop friends if I did the right thing and they all said yes.

Say yes, don't be confrontational and it'll be over with soon. If you're clean...
For anyone reading this - DO NOT DO THIS. DO NOT CONSENT TO A SEARCH.

You don’t know what the police know and they are not required to tell you anything, and in fact can legally lie to you. Always keep that in mind.

Here’s a hypothetical. You get pulled over for some minor infraction - speeding, brake light, whatever. You vaguely match the description of a murder suspect, but not enough to justify an arrest. The cop asks to search your car, and you consent, knowing that you have nothing to hide. In your trunk the officer finds a yellow hoodie, perfectly innocent, except that the color matches the suspect’s description. Congrats, you’re now under arrest and a murder suspect because you consented to a search. If you hadn’t consented, the officer likely would’ve let you go - he didn’t really think you were the guy, he was just fishing.

Here’s another example faced by many people. Same situation - pulled over for minor infraction, cop asks where you’re headed. You tell him you’re headed to the next city over to buy a boat off Craigslist. Officer asks if you have cash on you and you say yes, because you’re about to make a large cash purchase. Congrats, the officer now has probable cause to search your vehicle and seize your cash on suspicion that you’re a drug dealer because you volunteered that you were about to make a large purchase. You may quickly be found innocent, but that money is gone forever.

Police are not your friends. Use your rights and be smart.

ftwfrog

For anyone reading this - DO NOT DO THIS. DO NOT CONSENT TO A SEARCH.

You don’t know what the police know and they are not required to tell you anything, and in fact can legally lie to you. Always keep that in mind.

Here’s a hypothetical. You get pulled over for some minor infraction - speeding, brake light, whatever. You vaguely match the description of a murder suspect, but not enough to justify an arrest. The cop asks to search your car, and you consent, knowing that you have nothing to hide. In your trunk the officer finds a yellow hoodie, perfectly innocent, except that the color matches the suspect’s description. Congrats, you’re now under arrest and a murder suspect because you consented to a search. If you hadn’t consented, the officer likely would’ve let you go - he didn’t really think you were the guy, he was just fishing.

Here’s another example faced by many people. Same situation - pulled over for minor infraction, cop asks where you’re headed. You tell him you’re headed to the next city over to buy a boat off Craigslist. Officer asks if you have cash on you and you say yes, because you’re about to make a large cash purchase. Congrats, the officer now has probable cause to search your vehicle and seize your cash on suspicion that you’re a drug dealer because you volunteered that you were about to make a large purchase. You may quickly be found innocent, but that money is gone forever.

Police are not your friends. Use your rights and be smart.
But what if I have a bumper sticker with a Texas flag and a thin blue line, good right?