• The KillerFrogs

Sewo arrested, controlled substance

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
I was thinking just the opposite.
Other than the fact that he pulled me over for some [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]. But as far as his attitude and everything, he was cool.

My sister lives in OKC and she said the only reason he pulled me over was because my car had Texas license plates. She said her and my brother in-law got pulled over alot when they first moved up there, never got a ticket tho, always some kind of [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] reason for the cop stopping them. She said she hasn't been pulled over at all since they got their Oklahoma plates.

Frog-in-law1995

Cops and troopers were out in force on 35 that day. I even posted a warning on the game thread, iirc. I drove past a dozen officers while going no more than 10% over the limit. No issues.

edit: or maybe I’m thinking of the OU game.

Ron Swanson

Is it a thing now for cops to say that someone “called in a complaint“ about you for wreckless driving? It happened to me and also to my wife on the same stretch of two lane highway in central Texas.
It seemed like a scam.
Sounds like it’s a scam in that particular police station

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So, all of you that think the police are the enemy all agree not to ever call the police if you are in dire need of one? Hope you all form a club that hands out beanies with strobe flashing and a sign saying cops are scum, do not sass it’s in the event of danger...

frog-hat

So, all of you that think the police are the enemy all agree not to ever call the police if you are in dire need of one? Hope you all form a club that hands out beanies with strobe flashing and a sign saying cops are scum, do not sass it’s in the event of danger...
I have great respect for police officers. However, some are bad, and when you have an encounter with one, you don’t know what you’re getting. Just like they don’t. Be polite but Don’t talk; don’t consent. And I’m an old white guy.

Pharm Frog

Haven't read every post but I haven't seen anyone declare the police to be the enemy. I was raised to respect law enforcement and my son is 9 hours away from a degree in criminal justice. But if the suggestion is that I should consent to a search of my person or property and a release of my constitutional rights regardless of my knowledge of guilt or innocence, I absolutely reject that suggestion. And my rejection in no way indicates an attitude antagonistic to law enforcement. If I am in need (dire or otherwise), I will call. If they show up or pull me over and ask for permission to search without a valid warrant, I will not consent. These situations aren't even in the same ballpark.

Billy Clyde

They were both DPS troopers.

If it happens just like you describe, ask them if the caller identified themselves. Now, they aren't going to give you a name, and that's not the point in the moment. But their reaction to the question will be a tell. Police aren't allowed to use an anonymous complaint about your driving as a reason to pull you over. If they are going to pull a driver over based on a phone call from another driver, the dispatcher must identify the caller and record their info.
The better practice for officers is to identify the suspect vehicle and follow it until they develop their own independent cause for a stop (think DWI) and go from there, but that doesn't sound like what happened to you.
FWIW, if you really want to pursue it you can make a written public information request to the sheriff's office and DPS for the dispatcher's notes. If these entities deny they exist, they are messing up.

ftwfrog

I haven’t read anyone on here who thinks police are the enemy, but let’s remember: They are people; they aren’t gods. There are lots people who suck at their job; there are bad teachers, bad waiters, bad car repairmen and bad doctors. Cops have a tougher job and I wouldn’t want to do it, but let’s stop pretending that they are all perfect, just as all lawyers and doctors aren’t perfect.

The example someone posted above about the Hispanic man who was beaten to death, that’s an example of murder, and flaunting it with a t-shirt makes it a hate crime in my book. There are lots of examples of bad police work, this thread has turned into it.

The “I have cop friends!” discussion is funny to me for a few reasons:
1- My friend who is a cop will be the first one to tell you that there are others on his force are complete jackasses and he’s refused to work with a couple of them because they are dangerous and lack judgement.
2-I have friends who are teachers and lawyers and I’d tell you right now if I get arrested I know who I’m not calling.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Is it a thing now for cops to say that someone “called in a complaint“ about you for wreckless driving? It happened to me and also to my wife on the same stretch of two lane highway in central Texas.
It seemed like a scam.
This does not seem right. Maybe yall cant drive. :)

If you are pulled over because "someone called it in" when there is actually no call, then anything after that point could be thrown out since it would be easy to find if there was a call or not. No call, no PC.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Haven't read every post but I haven't seen anyone declare the police to be the enemy. I was raised to respect law enforcement and my son is 9 hours away from a degree in criminal justice. But if the suggestion is that I should consent to a search of my person or property and a release of my constitutional rights regardless of my knowledge of guilt or innocence, I absolutely reject that suggestion. And my rejection in no way indicates an attitude antagonistic to law enforcement. If I am in need (dire or otherwise), I will call. If they show up or pull me over and ask for permission to search without a valid warrant, I will not consent. These situations aren't even in the same ballpark.

For anyone reading this - DO NOT DO THIS. DO NOT CONSENT TO A SEARCH.

You don’t know what the police know and they are not required to tell you anything, and in fact can legally lie to you. Always keep that in mind.

Here’s a hypothetical. You get pulled over for some minor infraction - speeding, brake light, whatever. You vaguely match the description of a murder suspect, but not enough to justify an arrest. The cop asks to search your car, and you consent, knowing that you have nothing to hide. In your trunk the officer finds a yellow hoodie, perfectly innocent, except that the color matches the suspect’s description. Congrats, you’re now under arrest and a murder suspect because you consented to a search. If you hadn’t consented, the officer likely would’ve let you go - he didn’t really think you were the guy, he was just fishing.

Here’s another example faced by many people. Same situation - pulled over for minor infraction, cop asks where you’re headed. You tell him you’re headed to the next city over to buy a boat off Craigslist. Officer asks if you have cash on you and you say yes, because you’re about to make a large cash purchase. Congrats, the officer now has probable cause to search your vehicle and seize your cash on suspicion that you’re a drug dealer because you volunteered that you were about to make a large purchase. You may quickly be found innocent, but that money is gone forever.

Police are not your friends. Use your rights and be smart.

Yeah, the last line of this seems a little like enemy and a damned fine thing to to tell your kids.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I haven’t read anyone on here who thinks police are the enemy, but let’s remember: They are people; they aren’t gods. There are lots people who suck at their job; there are bad teachers, bad waiters, bad car repairmen and bad doctors. Cops have a tougher job and I wouldn’t want to do it, but let’s stop pretending that they are all perfect, just as all lawyers and doctors aren’t perfect.

The example someone posted above about the Hispanic man who was beaten to death, that’s an example of murder, and flaunting it with a t-shirt makes it a hate crime in my book. There are lots of examples of bad police work, this thread has turned into it.

The “I have cop friends!” discussion is funny to me for a few reasons:
1- My friend who is a cop will be the first one to tell you that there are others on his force are complete jackasses and he’s refused to work with a couple of them because they are dangerous and lack judgement.
2-I have friends who are teachers and lawyers and I’d tell you right now if I get arrested I know who I’m not calling.

Granted José Campos Torres, something that happened more 40 years ago, was a terrible thing. But hitting a cop with the fat end of a pool cue is pretty hateful too. Doesn’t justify the response, but he was no angel.