• The KillerFrogs

Sewo arrested, controlled substance

WhatTheFrog

What I've learned from this thread is that cops carry weed and other illegal substances\drugs around in their pockets every day in order to frame otherwise innocent people for drug charges. Am I getting that right?

I should tell my cop friends that we are on to them! Maybe they will stop with their nefarious behaviors!

Arseholes!

Atomic Frawg

What I've learned from this thread is that cops carry weed and other illegal substances\drugs around in their pockets every day in order to frame otherwise innocent people for drug charges. Am I getting that right?

I should tell my cop friends that we are on to them! Maybe they will stop with their nefarious behaviors!

Arseholes!
A Louisiana State Trooper planted something in the car that another TCU grad and I were driving to one of the Mobile Bowls, and it happens more than people think. More and more news reports are surfacing catching cops planting evidence or flat out lying about what actually occurred during a contact, and they are finally being prosecuted more, as they should be. The public conveys a substantial amount of trust in LEOs, perhaps too much, and now that their authority is being reigned in/challenged they don't like it. That is human nature. I have had cops unabashedly tell me that they would violate citizens rights to "crack a case." And I have unabashedly told them that they are likely more of a danger to the citizenry than those individuals. your cop friends know that plenty of them are dirty, and if your cop friends aren't then they should do more to get the bad ones fired.

HFrog1999

Arseholes!

Speaking of police

Has anyone been following the no knock raid that killed those 2 people in Houston? That thing stinks worse and worse every day.

https://m.chron.com/news/houston-te...-involving-Officer-Gerald-Goines-13727609.php

https://abc13.com/hpd-narcotics-raid-officer-retiring-in-midst-of-review/5212499/

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...fficer-in-drug-raid-had-previous-13621276.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/05/14/houstons-drug-raid-scandal-grows/

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
A Louisiana State Trooper planted something in the car that another TCU grad and I were driving to one of the Mobile Bowls, and it happens more than people think. More and more news reports are surfacing catching cops planting evidence or flat out lying about what actually occurred during a contact, and they are finally being prosecuted more, as they should be. The public conveys a substantial amount of trust in LEOs, perhaps too much, and now that their authority is being reigned in/challenged they don't like it. That is human nature. I have had cops unabashedly tell me that they would violate citizens rights to "crack a case." And I have unabashedly told them that they are likely more of a danger to the citizenry than those individuals. your cop friends know that plenty of them are dirty, and if your cop friends aren't then they should do more to get the bad ones fired.
Admittedly in the course of my job I see a lot more body cam than most people. But I have seen one instance in which an officer most likely planted meth and one in which they lied about the smell of weed to invent probable cause to search. That's not even touching the "you went 6 inches across the white line" type BS stops for the purpose of fishing. And don't get me started on asset forfeiture...

I have also seen dozens of cops doing it right to be fair.

Froggish

Most cops don’t have malicious intent but their intent is often distorted. In todays world the average cop is simply a product of paranoia and suspicion. Searching for probable cause rather then evidence of right or wrong is the new law enforcement norm.

Billy Clyde

Arseholes!

I detect a scintilla of sarcasm here. Not anywhere near every cop, and not every day, but [ Finebaum ] certainly does happen. The one that was a big-time wake-up for me peronally:

From Wiki:
"José Campos Torres (December 20, 1953 – May 5, 1977) was a 23-year-old Mexican-American and Vietnam veteran who was ruthlessly beaten by several White Houston Police Department (HPD) officers that subsequently led to his death.

After Torres' arrest at the bar, the officers took him to the city jail for booking. But, he was struck so brutally that authorities refused to book him into the jail. Instead, the police officers were ordered, by a supervisor, to take Torres to a local hospital for immediate medical treatment. The officers did not comply with the supervisor's order. Three days later, on Mother's Day, Sunday, May 8, 1977 his dead body was found severely beaten and floating in the Buffalo Bayou, a creek on the outskirts of downtown Houston."

From my own personal memory: I was in high school at the time. I remember this being the first time I'd ever heard of the concept of a, "Throwdown Gun." I'm sketchy on the logistics of how it all went down, but recollect one or more of the HPD officers planted a pistol on or near Torres, and claimed that somehow the fatal beating he took from them was necessary self-defense. Problem was, the serial on that .38 came back to HPD property room. My recall is that the fact that they would do this, at the time, was met with a collective yawn by the majority of Houstonians.

I sincerely believe that things have come a long, long way since those days, but given the stories that continue to happen, like the trooper a couple of years ago shooting an old man down like a dog for the heinous crime of running away from him, it would be naive in the extreme to go along thinking, "could never happen to me, or anyone I care about."

Billy Clyde

Admittedly in the course of my job I see a lot more body cam than most people. But I have seen one instance in which an officer most likely planted meth and one in which they lied about the smell of weed to invent probable cause to search. That's not even touching the "you went 6 inches across the white line" type BS stops for the purpose of fishing. And don't get me started on asset forfeiture...

Body cams are the best thing to happen to law enforcement in a long, long time IMO. There is always the prospect of a problem arising from the limited perspective of the camera, but having that audio/video can eliminate a LOT of bs, on both sides. Drives me crazy when you see cases where the officer was equipped with camera but didn't have it on to capture the critical action.

McFroggin

The amateur legal advice in here is just top notch.

Every time this happens, I will repost this video. It's the only one you need to watch to effectively understand the relationship between an LEO and the citizenry, and why you DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE, NOR CONSENT TO ANY SEARCH.

An oldie, but a goodie. Never consent. Never talk.

Don’t forget failure to indicate intention to turn (use blinker) 100 feet or more from the intersection.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I detect a scintilla of sarcasm here. Not anywhere near every cop, and not every day, but [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] certainly does happen. The one that was a big-time wake-up for me peronally:

From Wiki:
"José Campos Torres (December 20, 1953 – May 5, 1977) was a 23-year-old Mexican-American and Vietnam veteran who was ruthlessly beaten by several White Houston Police Department (HPD) officers that subsequently led to his death.

After Torres' arrest at the bar, the officers took him to the city jail for booking. But, he was struck so brutally that authorities refused to book him into the jail. Instead, the police officers were ordered, by a supervisor, to take Torres to a local hospital for immediate medical treatment. The officers did not comply with the supervisor's order. Three days later, on Mother's Day, Sunday, May 8, 1977 his dead body was found severely beaten and floating in the Buffalo Bayou, a creek on the outskirts of downtown Houston."

From my own personal memory: I was in high school at the time. I remember this being the first time I'd ever heard of the concept of a, "Throwdown Gun." I'm sketchy on the logistics of how it all went down, but recollect one or more of the HPD officers planted a pistol on or near Torres, and claimed that somehow the fatal beating he took from them was necessary self-defense. Problem was, the serial on that .38 came back to HPD property room. My recall is that the fact that they would do this, at the time, was met with a collective yawn by the majority of Houstonians.

I sincerely believe that things have come a long, long way since those days, but given the stories that continue to happen, like the trooper a couple of years ago shooting an old man down like a dog for the heinous crime of running away from him, it would be naive in the extreme to go along thinking, "could never happen to me, or anyone I care about."

Torres had gotten into a fight in the barrio. The police came to break it up. As I recall he hit one of the cops across face with the fat end of a pool cue. The Moody Park riots ensued. Jack Cato of KPRC 2 was stabbed on air. The real stink came as a result of the cops tying his hand to his feet and tossing him into the bayou for cracking open the cops face with the pool cue. It got early nasty when the police were found wearing “sink in the bayou” T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. You didn’t screw with HPD back then.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...r-moody-park-riots-it-was-a-real-wake-up-call

MTfrog5

When I was a teenager got nailed for failure to yield with no accident or cars coming. My mom insisted they were targeting teenagers out late. She was clearly right.
I remember in high school we were at a rival football game and a bunch of my buddies were pulled over after the game for curfew violation in that city. The football game went into a couple OT and was pretty clear they were just targeting kids.

Raw Frog

I remember in high school we were at a rival football game and a bunch of my buddies were pulled over after the game for curfew violation in that city. The football game went into a couple OT and was pretty clear they were just targeting kids.

Wel, at least you got some street cred from it....

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
That's not even touching the "you went 6 inches across the white line" type BS stops for the purpose of fishing.

That's exactly what happened to me last Memorial Day weekend. I was driving up to OKC to watch us play the rapists in the Big 12 championship game.

I went past a state trooper/K9 unit sitting on the side of the highway somewhere in hillbilly land. I wasn't speeding so I knew I was good. A couple of miles later here he comes flying up behind me, follows me for a lil bit then hits his lights and pulls me over. Said that he pulled me over because I crossed the fog line.

So then he asks had I been drinking or smoking and asked for my license and insurance and all that bs. Then he asked me to get out of the car and sit in his truck while he ran my license. So when all my information came back clean he asked could he do a search.

I knew I was clean so I said yes. So he got his dog out and they walked around my car a few times. The trooper would tap on spots on my car but the dog just kept on walking. Didn't find anything. He came back to the truck, gave me my license and insurance card back, told me to have fun at the game and let me go.

I was respectful to him and he wasn't an [ Arschloch] to me.

tcudoc

Is it a thing now for cops to say that someone “called in a complaint“ about you for wreckless driving? It happened to me and also to my wife on the same stretch of two lane highway in central Texas.
It seemed like a scam.

frogs9497

That's exactly what happened to me last Said that he pulled me over because I crossed the fog line.

So then he asks had I been drinking or smoking and asked for my license and insurance and all that bs. Then he asked me to get out of the car and sit in his truck while he ran my license. So when all my information came back clean he asked could he do a search.

I knew I was clean so I said yes. So he got his dog out and they walked around my car a few times. The trooper would tap on spots on my car but the dog just kept on walking. Didn't find anything. He came back to the truck, gave me my license and insurance card back, told me to have fun at the game and let me go.

I was respectful to him and he wasn't an [ Arschloch] to me.

I was thinking just the opposite.