• The KillerFrogs

Sec baseball overrated. Yes and No.

Paint It Purple

Over hyped for sure. 16 team conference across a large multi state, geographic swath of the country, and they don't play everyone in conference. Are they talented teams? Sure, and they should be if only considering the above.

They are a great baseball conference, but they would have to work at it to not be. And, espn and D1 slobbering all over them shows their lack of objective reason.

dobbiesquad4

Living in Birmingham, I decided to go to the tournament this year and even watched other games on TV. What I noticed is each team had that 1 stud pitcher but when they went to the bullpen all bets were off. Didn’t see much attempts to steal 2nd.

NewFrogFan

Over hyped for sure. 16 team conference across a large multi state, geographic swath of the country, and they don't play everyone in conference. Are they talented teams? Sure, and they should be if only considering the above.

They are a great baseball conference, but they would have to work at it to not be. And, espn and D1 slobbering all over them shows their lack of objective reason.
Will TCU play everyone in the conf when a net two more teams are added?

Frozen Frog

The SEC is always overrated! Conferences have eras of dominance and eras of struggles. The SEC loses a coach or two and they are back to being average at best in football. Baseball has the advantage of being in a warm climate for most of the season. That hurts the northern and eastern schools. Why does the SEC suck at hockey/lacrosse/skiing?

NewFrogFan

The SEC is always overrated! Conferences have eras of dominance and eras of struggles. The SEC loses a coach or two and they are back to being average at best in football. Baseball has the advantage of being in a warm climate for most of the season. That hurts the northern and eastern schools. Why does the SEC suck at hockey/lacrosse/skiing?
They dont care about those sports? (Neither do I). When has the SEC struggled in football since CFP has started?

East Coast

Tier 1
They might be a little overrated, but the SEC and ACC are the best baseball conferences, and I don't think it is really close. Big12 has been trending down; and the PAC is far worse. Whatever happened to all those Cali players? Are they heading east?

An-Cap Frog

They might be a little overrated, but the SEC and ACC are the best baseball conferences, and I don't think it is really close. Big12 has been trending down; and the PAC is far worse. Whatever happened to all those Cali players? Are they heading east?
6 of 9 from the conference making it seem okay to me...nice

And OU would have made it there wasn't 3 seed stealers this year.

An-Cap Frog

What suxs about OU (31-26) not making it is that their non-con SOS was 22...compare that to say Arizona's (33-24) @ 71. Plus OU had a game with ORU and 2 games with UTA cancelled. Give them 2 more wins and would they have made it?

Wexahu

I don't think people understand what the term "overrated" means. I hear it all the time in football, the SEC is overrated, but unless people are really stupid they still acknowledge that it is the best football conference.

How can a team or conference be #1 and overrated? You can only be compared to everyone else and your "rating" is based on that.

I have no idea if the SEC is overrated in baseball because I don't follow it much, but based on football opinions, it wouldn't surprise me if that conference is the best there is and fans just refuse to say it out of jealousy or something.

FrogsMcGee

Well, they do have 8 of the last 15 national champions, spread across 6 different programs. Also 4 of the last 5 with no repeated programs. Over the past 5 years, the SEC has had a total of 17 teams make it to Omaha, no years with less than 3. It's by far the best conference top to bottom and it's not really even close.

Endless Purple

What suxs about OU (31-26) not making it is that their non-con SOS was 22...compare that to say Arizona's (33-24) @ 71. Plus OU had a game with ORU and 2 games with UTA cancelled. Give them 2 more wins and would they have made it?
I think I am happy with a future SEC team left out and a possible future Big 12 team let in.

Endless Purple

SEC and ACC are good baseball conferences. Big 12 really needs to get teams to Omaha to show where they stand. In past years, there have been multiple Big 12 teams represented, but not as often. Have to win when it counts the most.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Ummm...

OU made it in. They are the #3 seed in the Charlottesville VA region. They will play #2 seed East Carolina in the first game. #1 seed Virginia plays first game against #4 seed Army West Point.

An-Cap Frog

Ummm...

OU made it in. They are the #3 seed in the Charlottesville VA region. They will play #2 seed East Carolina in the first game. #1 seed Virginia plays first game against #4 seed Army West Point.

lol completely forgot...I even mentioned it in the other thread. Was going to compare KSU to Zona and brain farted...happy Tuesday.

KSU non-con SOS was 55 with a 35-24 record.

froginmn

I understand that people are annoyed by the hype, but over the last fifteen years:

PAC - 18 appearances in CWS, 4 titles
ACC - 22, 1
B1G - 2, 0
Big 12 - 18, 0
SEC - 40, 8
All others - 20, 2

A couple of these are slightly off because Aggie was in Big 12 for one appearance and TCU was in MWC for one. May be a couple other slight errors (Notre Dame ACC for one?).

But, those numbers are pretty clear which conference has the best baseball...

froginmn

I understand that people are annoyed by the hype, but over the last fifteen years:

PAC - 18 appearances in CWS, 4 titles
ACC - 22, 1
B1G - 2, 0
Big 12 - 18, 0
SEC - 40, 8
All others - 20, 2

A couple of these are slightly off because Aggie was in Big 12 for one appearance and TCU was in MWC for one. May be a couple other slight errors (Notre Dame ACC for one?).

But, those numbers are pretty clear which conference has the best baseball...
Our regional includes teams who have made 14 CWS appearances in the last 15 years (well, 16 counting 2020).

Doubt there is a regional with more...