• The KillerFrogs

Season Ticket Holder Survey

WIN

The attendance slide in college football has mostly to do with games lasting way too long, and also games being played during the wrong time of the day. Commercial breaks 2 minutes 45 seconds in length and way too many of them. Why is half time 20 minutes long and in the pros it's 12 minutes? Fans are losing interest. Another huge problem especially in the South is playing games at 11 and 2:30 in September and October. It's too hot! Nothing will probably change until the next TV contract, but those should be negotiating points.

TV has definitely changed the attendance. Not only for the problems above but the fact that all games are on TV. Not long ago we were lucky to see the Frogs on tv a few times a year. Also, people have spent thousands on home entertainment systems so game day at home is a more encompassing than in the past.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
TV has definitely changed the attendance. Not only for the problems above but the fact that all games are on TV. Not long ago we were lucky to see the Frogs on tv a few times a year. Also, people have spent thousands on home entertainment systems so game day at home is a more encompassing than in the past.
DVRing the game to FF through commercials is wonderful...

Pharm Frog

A good, albeit rather a long read from SI about declining FBS football attendance.

From 2014 to ’18, attendance across the FBS fell by 7.6%. Last year, on average, 41,856 fans went to games. That’s the lowest turnout since 1996; even major programs like Ohio State, Virginia Tech and Ole Miss suffered declines of greater than 5%. The NCAA has yet to release its full report on 2019’s numbers, but pictures of nearly-empty stadiums, from big to small programs, popped up every fall weekend on Twitter...Yet the numbers might be even worse than they seem: A 2018 Wall Street Journal report found that only 71% of the people who bought tickets to FBS games actually went.

It appears that while trying to make FBS football more entertaining and therefore a more attractive way to spend time and money, schools are not offering their target consumers with enough of the right things to draw and keep a respectable audience. Evidently the parties outside the stadiums are more fun, the alcohol is cheaper and the friends are more plentiful.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/10/college-football-attendance-decline-ncaa

I read that article expecting something insightful several days ago. Instead I get anecdotal mush with the major conclusion not even being relevant to the situation at TCU. Much more relevant to Large State U.

Purp

There is another theory that suggests the playoff system is partly to blame for attendance slide. Most fans start the season with the thought that “hope springs eternal, maybe this is our year.” Even if that thought is ultra delusional, it promotes attendance. The more exclusive you make the playoff format, the earlier in the season you burst the fans’ bubble. This has an impact on attendance. Those who profit from the playoff will disagree.
I hear that a lot, but disagree. In the BcS as soon as your team lost a game all hope was gone nearly every year. Now your team can still lose and a conference title and still have a chance.

Before the BcS it was far less certain and maybe even likely your team could claim a national title even if other teams did also. Perhaps that landed itself to greater fan interest at game deeper into the season, but every game wasn't televised back then either.

westoverhillbilly

bury some dead dogs in the end zone to watch the scoreboard

Speaking of dogs, I wonder whatever happened to Zamora's dog (the Baylor receiver's dog who he beat on video and the interim head coach said he was just spanking him for normal disciplinary routine). I'd love it if that dog turned on his sorry master and bit his lips and then ran away!