• The KillerFrogs

Sean Payton and TCU

OICU812

Raccoon hunting doesn’t really seem like a thing anymore, at least I don’t hear about people going coon hunting.

Were they hunted because they were varmints and destructive? People didn’t eat raccoon did they?

It's still a thing, there's been a national level competition in Fairfield going back at least 20 years since I first became aware of it. Never saw anybody eat one, but wouldn't shock me if it happened during the Depression. Only real use was caps and I fur coats that I know of.

I'd guess that probably a big chunk of the same people who would be coon hunters are now focusing on feral pigs instead. Same basic concept- Chase 'em at night with dogs, although I see hog hunters going out with dogs in the daytime as well.

Used to coon hunt with my uncle, he had some beautiful hounds, some close to 150 lbs., he knew by the pitch of their howling how hot was the trail, and when they had one treed. Really exciting to be chasing after that action in the dark and cold. Worst part was once they were treed he'd shoot 'em in the hip to knock them out of the tree and let the dogs fight them. Ugly.

netty2424

It's still a thing, there's been a national level competition in Fairfield going back at least 20 years since I first became aware of it. Never saw anybody eat one, but wouldn't shock me if it happened during the Depression. Only real use was caps and I fur coats that I know of.

I'd guess that probably a big chunk of the same people who would be coon hunters are now focusing on feral pigs instead. Same basic concept- Chase 'em at night with dogs, although I see hog hunters going out with dogs in the daytime as well.

Used to coon hunt with my uncle, he had some beautiful hounds, some close to 150 lbs., he knew by the pitch of their howling how hot was the trail, and when they had one treed. Really exciting to be chasing after that action in the dark and cold. Worst part was once they were treed he'd shoot 'em in the hip to knock them out of the tree and let the dogs fight them. Ugly.
Interesting. Yah any type of hunting that involves dogs and combat isn’t for everyone. It’s violent and brutal.

MCFROG III

Memorial grad also.
We also won Texas 4A in 1966 73-68 against Dallas Samuel.

Lost 4A state championship in 67 to SA Lee .

In 1969 Wheatley was rolling everyone in high scoring games. I’m not sure they played anyone that played defense. It was one of the first (second I believe) integrated Texas State Championship. There was lots of build up saying there would be violence. Lots of rich kids vs ghetto kids talk. Everyone picked Wheatley in a rout. Memorial lost 52-47 holding Wheatley to something like 40 points below their average. Played in old UT Gregory gym. Everyone got along great, no problems, no violence. Things that today that would be considered racist weren’t even brought up. Our band, for some reason, always played Dixie. The Wheatley side never made so much as a boo.

Thanks for clearing that up. It was not exactly something I was deep into back in the day, though I do remember coming in as a freshman with the football team winning big in state the year before ('63?), I believe. Both football & basketball were making some waves in those years. I had Coach Don Coleman in freshman PE ('64-'65) and it's crazy how he went on to Hall of Fame(s), the district's basketball arena w/statue named after him & etc. That first year was the one before the split that sent what seemed to be about half the student population to Westchester. It was a mass of humanity between classes, but a drag to lose a lot of friends.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Thanks for clearing that up. It was not exactly something I was deep into back in the day, though I do remember coming in as a freshman with the football team winning big in state the year before ('63?), I believe. Both football & basketball were making some waves in those years. I had Coach Don Coleman in freshman PE ('64-'65) and it's crazy how he went on to Hall of Fame(s), the district's basketball arena w/statue named after him & etc. That first year was the one before the split that sent what seemed to be about half the student population to Westchester. It was a mass of humanity between classes, but a drag to lose a lot of friends.

MHS’ enrollment was bigger than than Rice and only about 2k short of TCU prior to Westchester! Coleman was a winner for sure, as was Richard Quick in swimming. I don’t think MHS ever failed to win state in swimming for several years.