• The KillerFrogs

Schloss is about to be on The Ticket (9:40 a.m.)

Armadillo

LendingTreeBoxers1.jpg

Lock thread. Easily the post of the year!

Moose Stuff

His opinion that you increase your chances of being a MLBer by going to college.

This isn't something I completely agree with but instead of arguing against it I'll just say this...... you go to school to get a degree, or to have the college experience....... you DO NOT go to school to get a bigger bonus or increase your odds of playing in MLB. It's a bad plan that fails more than it succeeds.

flyfishingfrog

This isn't something I completely agree with but instead of arguing against it I'll just say this...... you go to school to get a degree, or to have the college experience....... you DO NOT go to school to get a bigger bonus or increase your odds of playing in MLB. It's a bad plan that fails more than it succeeds.
so you are saying that of the top high schools prospects - the ones that go to college have a lower rate of success in pro ball then the ones that don't go to college?

or are you talking about overall the total number of kids that play college ball and get drafted vs the number of kids that go straight to the pros?

Moose Stuff

so you are saying that of the top high schools prospects - the ones that go to college have a lower rate of success in pro ball then the ones that don't go to college?

or are you talking about overall the total number of kids that play college ball and get drafted vs the number of kids that go straight to the pros?

What I'm saying is that I don't agree with the blanket statement that going to college increases your chances of playing in MLB. For kids that are mentally and physically ready signing out of HS is better. For kids that aren't ready going to college is better. And quite honestly for the best players it probably makes little difference one way or the other, they're gonna make it regardless. The single biggest mistake is made when kids who aren't ready choose to sign. Some of the blame for that can be put on the players/families/advisors but in the end I think pro baseball could probably do a better job of not signing these types of players just because they can. My opinion.

TCUdirtbag

That was something else Schloss said. Musers asked what the Big 12 had changed for him and if they were making more money now. He mentioned how only 1 or 2 schools actually earn a profit on baseball. The rest lose money and now TCU was just losing less money. And said that was with TCU being #1 in attendance for private schools.

Then he mentioned that joining the Big 12 took away the recruiting disadvantage in the past of conference affiliation.

Baseball has been a huge financial beneficiary of the conference move. Just look at facilities upgrades and coaching salary increases. Rumor when Schloss signed his extension last year was it made him THE highest paid coach in the country. Definitely top 5 - in a no income tax / low cost of living state. I assume the assistant salaries for Saarloos and Mo are very much increased as well.

So while we "lose less" we also spend a WHOLE lot more.

cdsfrog

Agreed. I don't think it helps the player get into the majors. That said players drafted from college are twice as likely to make the majors. Probably due to less knowns with a couple more years of development.?

Even if it doesn't improve the individuals chances it gives them a backup plan. That said doubt I would turn down million plus.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Agreed. I don't think it helps the player get into the majors. That said players drafted from college are twice as likely to make the majors. Probably due to less knowns with a couple more years of development.?

Even if it doesn't improve the individuals chances it gives them a backup plan. That said doubt I would turn down million plus.

I don't have the data (would love to see it), but I think that "twice as likely" stat gets misrepresented. MLB drafts and signs WAY more college kids than they do HS kids, and it isn't because they're better or more prepared, it's because they're cheaper. Go look at a list of any club's draft signings from this year in a couple months and the typical breakdown is gonna be close to 80 percent of them being college kids. The end result is that there are more MLB players who signed out of college than there are players who signed out of HS. I suspect the percentages of players that get to MLB within these two groups are actually fairly similar. I'm sure that data exists somewhere.

Last edited:

cdsfrog

I don't have the data (would love to see it), but I think that "twice as likely" stat gets misrepresented. MLB drafts and signs WAY more college kids than they do HS kids, and it isn't because they're better or more prepared, it's because they're cheaper. Go look at a list of any club's draft signings from this year in a couple months and the typical breakdown is gonna be close to 80-90 percent of them being college kids. The end result is that there are more MLB players who signed out of college than there are players who signed out of HS. I suspect the percentages of players that get to MLB within these two groups are actually fairly similar. I'm sure that data exists somewhere.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1219356

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ft-prospects-better-than-high-school-ones/amp

Not the data you are looking for but interesting nonetheless. I would guess as you look in farther rounds percentage oh high schoolers in majors falls a lot faster.

Moose Stuff

Those are the stats Schloss cited when making his argument.

The stat is relatively meaningless and very misleading if it isn't accompanied by the data on the percentages of HS and college players that are drafted and signed. It probably falls somewhere in the range of 75% college kids and 25% HS kids (if not higher on the college side). There are more college kids in MLB because more college kids sign than HS kids. The stats in the post above make it seem like it's an even 50/50 split for the number of HS and college kids that sign pro contracts but that college kids are twice as likely to make it. That simply isn't true.

Moose Stuff

So 75% of the kids drafted are in college but that alone doesn't show you stand a better chance to go pro if you go to college?

The discussion isn't about going pro, it's about playing in MLB. And even if that wasn't the case you can't just throw out numbers without context. It's painfully obvious that the average college baseball player has a better chance of playing professionally than the average HS kid..... the average college player is LIGHT YEARS better than the average HS player.

ftwfrog

All the pissing matches aside, I'd love to see a stat of simply 1st rounders who ever play a full season in the majors. I'm guessing 75-80% ?

flyfishingfrog

All the pissing matches aside, I'd love to see a stat of simply 1st rounders who ever play a full season in the majors. I'm guessing 75-80% ?
I would bet its high and probably doesn't matter if they are hs or college

So the real question is does going to college hurt or help most kids increase their ability or draft stock