• The KillerFrogs

Schloss is about to be on The Ticket (9:40 a.m.)

tcu+baseball+cheer.jpg

Full ride.

westtexfrog

Of course every manager in business and in baseball wants more reasources. This case he wants more scholarships. It puts expensive schools like TCU at a disadvantage but that is tough luck for us. Sorry, I don't support more scholarship $$$ for athletic budgets. He should ask Coach Patterson to recruit more football players that can also play baseball (Thomas, Aune)
Don't forget Huffman

Boomhauer

Schloss also mentioned that the school gets no money from the NCAA for a CWS appearance. Although they do get a per diem to be used for travel expenses.

GoFrog Yourself

Schloss mentioned only 11.7 scholarships for 27 players so roughly 43%. You'd think they could at least bump it up a little.
Best example for our situation is Stanford and Vandy. Private schools with successful baseball programs given the same limitations. They're able to get creative with their financial aid and donor money in order to get top quality guys in the door even with a high tuition rate compared to large public schools.

One argument I've read but haven't dug into much is that more scholarships will hurt smaller programs not in a major conference. It basically says guys will be willing to sit on the bench/redshirt for a year or two at a major school with a higher profile instead of going somewhere to play right away and get their money's worth. Essentially: why go to Sam Houston State just to play right away when you have a chance to go to TCU for free and get the advantage of every facility you can dream of, play in the big conference, and compete for a title every year. Sure, you may not play right away, but you're not wasting money just by sitting on the bench

YA

Of course every manager in business and in baseball wants more reasources. This case he wants more scholarships. It puts expensive schools like TCU at a disadvantage but that is tough luck for us. Sorry, I don't support more scholarship $$$ for athletic budgets. He should ask Coach Patterson to recruit more football players that can also play baseball (Thomas, Aune)
Just curious are you ever happy or positive?

Best example for our situation is Stanford and Vandy. Private schools with successful baseball programs given the same limitations. They're able to get creative with their financial aid and donor money in order to get top quality guys in the door even with a high tuition rate compared to large public schools.

One argument I've read but haven't dug into much is that more scholarships will hurt smaller programs not in a major conference. It basically says guys will be willing to sit on the bench/redshirt for a year or two at a major school with a higher profile instead of going somewhere to play right away and get their money's worth. Essentially: why go to Sam Houston State just to play right away when you have a chance to go to TCU for free and get the advantage of every facility you can dream of, play in the big conference, and compete for a title every year. Sure, you may not play right away, but you're not wasting money just by sitting on the bench

I tend to disagree. I tell kids all the time that if their desire is to get to the next level, be it pro ball or even just playing for a big time program, go where you can play. Someone will see you and the reps are invaluable. You can sit a year in football and get better. Doesn't always work that way in baseball. Rhythm and timing are the first thing to go and the hardest to recapture. With scholarship limitations college baseball will always be transient. You see it at all levels and at every program.

Bob

I know that everyone is waiting on my opinion on these matters, so here it is:

Go where you want to go
Do what you want to do
With whoever you want to do it with
I'm the one that's going to have to die
When it's time for me to die
So let me live my life the way I want to

West Coast Johnny

Just curious are you ever happy or positive?
Yes, I'm happy and positive about college baseball the way it is.

I disagree with the Schloss's suggestion that the sport would somehow be better if more budget and more scholarships were given to baseball (a non-revenue and probably a loss making sport). I think there is better things to do with money, thats all.

TCUdirtbag

This isn't quite right. There's a quirk that benefits Stanford, Vsndy, Rice and some other private schools with massive endowments that allows them to cover more than the norm because every student is getting financial aid from the school. TCU actually has it quite a bit harder than those most elite academic schools.

There's been discussion on this here several times before. Perhaps Deep can point us in the right direction for the details.

Boomhauer

That was something else Schloss said. Musers asked what the Big 12 had changed for him and if they were making more money now. He mentioned how only 1 or 2 schools actually earn a profit on baseball. The rest lose money and now TCU was just losing less money. And said that was with TCU being #1 in attendance for private schools.

Then he mentioned that joining the Big 12 took away the recruiting disadvantage in the past of conference affiliation.

Deep Purple

Talked about how TCU's athletic programs/department is the front porch of the university (...like we've heard GP say 100 times) and with the way all three big sports are peaking applications have gone through the roof in the past 10-15 years.
CDC says that "front porch" thing too. Only place I would disagree with Schloss is in crediting athletics with creating the zooming application rate. Athletic success has certainly made more people give us a look -- but when they look, they've still got to like what they see in campus atmosphere and what we offer in the way of academics.

I'd argue the $1 billion+ TCU has spent over the last 18 years rebuilding the physical campus and expanding the faculty and degree offerings has played a larger role in the booming application rate than athletics. Athletics got their attention so that they explored TCU as an option, but it didn't get them to apply or enroll.