• The KillerFrogs

scheiss these refs - they cost us this game

CountryFrog

Yeah because doing it that way all year and prior years accrued to his advantage. BS. Take your stand if you believe it. If you don’t…then play it coy.
Exactly. No one is advocating that he get up there and dog cuss the officials. Just back up your guy and say that it looked like a foul from where you were standing. Then you can get into all the coach speak stuff about 45 minutes and we didn't make enough plays to win, blah, blah, blah. I don't think some official next year at the end of the Texas game is going to swallow the whistle because he remembered the time that Jaime Dixon said in a press conference that he thought something was a foul.

Pharm Frog

Exactly. No one is advocating that he get up there and dog cuss the officials. Just back up your guy and say that it looked like a foul from where you were standing. Then you can get into all the coach speak stuff about 45 minutes and we didn't make enough plays to win, blah, blah, blah. I don't think some official next year at the end of the Texas game is going to swallow the whistle because he remembered the time that Jaime Dixon said in a press conference that he thought something was a foul.
Where is that game against Texas being played? That would be the determining factor.

TCUdirtbag

That would certainly be more of a determining factor than Jaime Dixon's post game press conference from 10 months prior.

The college coach and official universe is small. Reputations aren't constructed in a one-time vacuum. Jamie pushes the limits at times in his on-court conduct and often says the right things on camera. His prerogative to balance those relationships how he feels is best for the program. The guy just reinvented this program (while a decent number of fans were calling for his head a few weeks ago) and had TCU on the cusp of the Sweet 16 tonight--let's give him the benefit of the doubt about how to navigate the situation. IMO.

(And for the record, praising the refs seems a little much for me, but he was giving them a deserved earful tonight on the court so who knows maybe he felt the no call might've been retribution and didn't want to double down, I dunno. I'm mad about how tonight went, but I'm really proud of this team that Jamie put together and am looking forward to next year.)

Last edited:

CountryFrog

The college coach and official universe is small. Reputations aren't constructed in a one-time vacuum. Jamie pushes the limits at times in his on-court conduct and often says the right things on camera. His prerogative to balance those relationships how he feels is best for the program. The guy just reinvented this program (while a decent number of fans were calling for his head a few weeks ago) and had TCU on the cusp of the Sweet 16 tonight--let's give him the benefit of the doubt about how to navigate the situation. IMO.
Fair enough. But if I'm a player then I'm a little pissed that he didn't have my back publicly.

And again, you can do it in a way that's not embarrassing the official. He doesn't need to go on a 3 minute tirade. Just simply say that he thought it was a foul. That's it. And as Pharm pointed out, all of Dixon's career of playing it cool in the public led up to this atrocity. So I'm not seeing where any of it has paid off.

It's not that big of a deal in the long run. I wouldn't care at all if it was any other game except the one that ended your season. And it's not like it would be a controversial thing to say. Basically every single person who's not an Arizona fan or an official in that game thought it was a foul.

grt

Avery Johnson was saying it out loud in overtime.

They were calling all this tick tack [ #2020 ] on us in the overtime period that gave them free throws yet gave us NOTHING at the end of regulation.

If those BS calls that fouled out Miller/Peavy were fouls, so was the hip check on Miles at the end of regulation.

March Madness is my favorite sporting event but damn the refs always pick sides in the games. I was being mocked all week in the main March Madness thread but 95% of the time the higher seed gets the calls. Other teams that got absolutely boned this week were Colgate(against Wisconsin), Vermont(against Arkansas), Akron(against UCLA) and Chattanooga(against Illinois). Basically the teams that draw more TV eyeballs will get the benefit of the doubt.
E X A C T L Y!!!!!

Dogfrog

Fair enough. But if I'm a player then I'm a little pissed that he didn't have my back publicly.

And again, you can do it in a way that's not embarrassing the official. He doesn't need to go on a 3 minute tirade. Just simply say that he thought it was a foul. That's it. And as Pharm pointed out, all of Dixon's career of playing it cool in the public led up to this atrocity. So I'm not seeing where any of it has paid off.

It's not that big of a deal in the long run. I wouldn't care at all if it was any other game except the one that ended your season. And it's not like it would be a controversial thing to say. Basically every single person who's not an Arizona fan or an official in that game thought it was a foul.
I don’t think it needs Dixon to weigh in because it’s not a controversy. It was a colossal scheiss up. The whole basketball world knows how badly we got jobbed. They watched it the same time we did. Nobody needs to be convinced. The players and everybody who watched the game are talking about it. And maybe ‘we will handle it the right way’ means more than we think it does.

grt

This is what I am most mad about. Yeah Miles was fouled but we were playing excellent defense in OT that was getting whistled while when we had the ball they were giving us nothing

Also Arizona getting easy FTs swung the momentum in their favor in OT
Everybody knows , even the tv commentators said that Myles was fouled. He would have went to the line with 2 seconds left and probably made his free throws. Game over!
Refs sucked hard the whole game.

Froggy Style

Exactly, and it's everywhere all over the Internet. Starting a public war between he and the refs gets not one iota more press that what is already there. It does, however, buy him a lifetime of animosity that would screw him in every game forward.

The saying..."keep your enemies closer" exists for a reason.

Same reason you don't chant overrated to the other team unless the game is truly over.

East Coast

Tier 1
I thought the officiating was pretty fair until about 2 minutes left in regulation. It like the refs got told losing another #1 blueblood would be a disaster and it was time to help out.

EDIT - and by fair I don’t mean good.

Pharm Frog

Exactly, and it's everywhere all over the Internet. Starting a public war between he and the refs gets not one iota more press that what is already there. It does, however, buy him a lifetime of animosity that would screw him in every game forward.

The saying..."keep your enemies closer" exists for a reason.

Same reason you don't chant overrated to the other team unless the game is truly over.
You don’t chant it even then. It’s the dumbest most self-deprecating chant of all time IMO. Might as well chant “We aren’t that good.”

Pharm Frog

Ok - that’s a reading between the lines quote. Dixon basically called them out without saying the words.
He called them the best in the country. He didn’t need to do that. And there is no “right way” to handle this. There are wrong ways but nothing right unless you want to say “Next question” which would invited another question at which you could respond “Next question” and then ask if there were any questions for these three gentlemen “who performed with intensity and integrity.”