• The KillerFrogs

SB Nation: UNC-Wilmington transfer Hunter Hodges commits to TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

UNC-Wilmington transfer Hunter Hodges commits to TCU​

Russell Hodges

TCU baseball added another pitcher through the transfer portal, with UNC-Wilmington reliever Hunter Hodges announcing his commitment to the Horned Frogs on social media Sunday afternoon. Hodges is the third transfer to commit to the TCU baseball team this offseason, following California’s Sam Stoutenborough and Baylor’s Tre Richardson.

Hodges earned All-CAA Honorable Mention recognition as a reliever during the 2022 season, recording a 4.11 ERA and striking out 51 batters in 30 and two-thirds innings while holding opposing hitters to a .100 average. The 6-foot-3 sophomore struggled with command, allowing 33 walks, but the low opposing batting average and his 14.9 K/9 ratio suggest a high-upside, right-handed arm that TCU could utilize out of the bullpen.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/unc-wilmington-transfer-hunter-hodges-commits-to-tcu/ar-AAYTC0r

MadFrog

"The 6-foot-3 sophomore struggled with command". We have seen that before.

I sense we are taking "anybody" with interest and not filtering out poor skills. Exception might be the Baylor 2nd baseman.

Punter1

I sense we are taking "anybody" with interest and not filtering out poor skills. Exception might be the Baylor 2nd baseman.

Yea...we're just taking anybody...smh...

Purp

My gut tells me CKS knows what the kid can do and he thinks he can fix the command issues with mechanical tweaks. With a K/9 that good the kid clearly has some swing and miss stuff and/or PMo command. Since the command issues are highlighted I'm going with swing and miss stuff. A pitching coach like CKS is probably salivating at the potential here. Seems like a low risk/high reward play to me.