• The KillerFrogs

SB Nation: Macho Low, Part 11: Tim Mauser started at the top of the heap

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
1403518.jpg.0.jpg

SB Nation: Macho Low, Part 11: Tim Mauser started at the top of the heap

By Justin Klugh@justin_klugh

You hear about this kid? He’s throwing heat in the minors, up in Scranton.

First he takes a no-hitter into the sixth, then he takes another one into the eighth, and then he finally throws a damn no-no against those damn New Britain Rock Cats and has a 29.2 scoreless inning streak going. I think the Phillies are bringing him up anytime now to help this 1991 team out. Because that’s what year it is as we speak; 1991.

Imagine how he’ll adjust to big league pitching. He’ll probably figure it out instantly. “He’s playing a real game of cat and Mauser,” they’ll say, heh heh. I’ve already crafted a cat costume to wear to games when he’s up in the bigs for good. If you make one too we can be a cool fan group. And it will be cool, too, no matter what our wives say.

Mauser’s the real deal, man. And the Phillies know it.

Read more at https://www.thegoodphight.com/2018/6/20/17413820/phillies-1993-tim-mauser-macho-low-part-11

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Did his dad play at TCU and Heights?
I think his dad Rudy played at TCU but I'm not sure about Heights.

However, his dad was my junior high coach at Stripling junior high school, back in the days when they could paddle you for doing something wrong. His dad had forearms the size of tree limbs and could swing a paddle with the best of them. I know, because I spent way too much time in the coaches offices bent over grabbing the back of a chair while Coach Mauser swung that paddle at my aching backside.

Frog DJ

Assistant Principle Cherry at Paschal High School, Wes!

I dodged his wrath most of the time, but no one escaped completely unscathed.

Go Frogs!

RufeBruton

Don't know if 'paddling' is a uniquely Texas thing.....but it was unheard of in St. Louis when I was growing up. If a coach didn't like what you did or said, you sat on the bench and were a spectator.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Assistant Principle Cherry at Paschal High School, Wes!

I dodged his wrath most of the time, but no one escaped completely unscathed.

Go Frogs!
We had Frank Kudlady at Arlington Heights and he could paddle until you bled from your ears. You never know it by looking at him because he was tall, thin and had a hunchback but he had a swing that could bring tears to your eyes. I was able to Dodge him until my senior year when we put up a Paschal Sucks sign at a pep rally and got hauled down to the office, for doing it.

I guess it was worth it, everyone at the pep rally cheered but 30 minutes later we weren't smiling

BABYFACE

Coach Cox hit me into the following week once. My azz went instantly numb. About 3 hours later the numbness started to wear off and the pain trickled in.

Pharm Frog

Don't know if 'paddling' is a uniquely Texas thing.....but it was unheard of in St. Louis when I was growing up. If a coach didn't like what you did or said, you sat on the bench and were a spectator.

Definitely not a uniquely Texas thing. One of the more likely places to get your ass paddled was in Louisiana and you should hear my father talk about something called a "strop". That was before my time but he says that you saw that used all over the south and it wasn't like being sent to the principal's office. It apparently happened right there on the spot and was delivered by the teacher or coach in closest proximity.

david c mills

We had Frank Kudlady at Arlington Heights and he could paddle until you bled from your ears. You never know it by looking at him because he was tall, thin and had a hunchback but he had a swing that could bring tears to your eyes. I was able to Dodge him until my senior year when we put up a Paschal Sucks sign at a pep rally and got hauled down to the office, for doing it.

I guess it was worth it, everyone at the pep rally cheered but 30 minutes later we weren't smiling
I had Kudlady as VP at Stripling and Rudy and his bro at Laneri. All of these dudes could fire up you backside!

PO Frog

It was a sport for coaches in Houston. They even customized paddles for ultimate pain. Holes for least wind resistance.
Yep - ours hung in the coaches office and it said "board of education" on it. I was thoroughly educated a number of times. Ten times worse when just wearing your football greys that everyone wore under pads.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
you should hear my father talk about something called a "strop".

A strop was what they used back in the days of straight razors to get a fine edge before you shaved. My grandfather had his hanging on the side of the bathroom sink. Maybe 4" wide and 3' long, made out of leather...it was impressive.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
A strop was what they used back in the days of straight razors to get a fine edge before you shaved. My grandfather had his hanging on the side of the bathroom sink. Maybe 4" wide and 3' long, made out of leather...it was impressive.
Ah ok. I always saw those in cartoons.