• The KillerFrogs

SB Nation: Gary Patterson prepares his team to stop Big 12 offenses by teaching the triple option

Deep Purple

I would feel better about GP's claim that he has cataloged everyone's trick plays if the Frogs weren't fooled 90 per cent of the time by the other teams' fake punts....Although, I don't recall too many of these being run against us in the last couple of years, so maybe the coaches have been able to teach the defense what to look for....
We fell for those fakes about 4 times during 2010-2012. Then we stopped a couple of them during 2013-2016, and we haven't seen a fake attempt since (that I recall). I guess opposing coaches figured we'd solved the problem and they couldn't afford to cede us good field position.

Eight

Anyone question SBs insight ?

not sure the basis of the question. boyd basically took some quotes from patterson and tied them together in an article based upon things patterson has talked about doing since he has been in fort worth.

that is the funniest part when people do these deep dies into what patterson is doing at fort worth to be successful. the methodology is basically the same be it what is taught, how things are taught, what is emphasized, what types of players are sought for the program, gary's goals on defense etc.....

what is changed is where he is doing these things (cusa, mwc, and now big 12), staff, resources, and athletic ability of the overall roster. coaching the hell out of kids, accountability among the staff and players, etc...nothing new.

seriously, reading these type of articles about tcu are similar to when i read business consultants delve into why chick fil a is more profitable than any other fast food chains despite the limited menu, closed on sundays, very overt political and religious beliefs .

i

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Here's an interesting article on the birth of the triple option and Bellard/UT teaching it to Switzer and Bear Bryant.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...hbone-offense-50-influential-college-football

AUSTIN, Texas -- "One of the most revered terms in the college football lexicon owes its existence to a hotel that no longer exists.

The Villa Capri once adjoined the University of Texas campus and boasted one of Austin's in-demand restaurants. The dining room, with brass-rodded chandeliers above, featured a broiling pit at the center, where a chef charcoaled choice steaks. Outside, burnt orange umbrella tables and lush grass surrounded the hotel's pool.

But the place to be at the Capri on autumn Saturday nights was Room 2001, where legendary Texas coach Darrell Royal would hold court and drink booze with reporters and luminaries -- including actor John Wayne once -- in town to watch the Longhorns.

And 50 years ago this season, it was in Room 2001 that the "Wishbone" was officially christened -- forever changing college football."

Froginbedford

Very little documentary evidence exists, but Monnig Junior High in Fort Worth was running the wishbone in the 1960s....Coach Spud Cason dominated the large-school division (1,000+ enrollment) with it and the school was the only junior high in town whose football program turned a profit because of such large ticket sales to the games....And, no, I'm not a Monnig alum...but Cason never gets the credit he should....He said in some interviews that he moved the fullback up because he was slow and needed an extra step to get going....

ThisIsOurTime

I would feel better about GP's claim that he has cataloged everyone's trick plays if the Frogs weren't fooled 90 per cent of the time by the other teams' fake punts....Although, I don't recall too many of these being run against us in the last couple of years, so maybe the coaches have been able to teach the defense what to look for....

Well, knowing it and stopping it are two different things.