• The KillerFrogs

Salt Lake Tribune: Mountain West schools pay the most to subsidize athletics

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[SIZE=12pt]Salt Lake Tribune: Mountain West schools pay the most to subsidize athletics[/SIZE]

By Brian Maffly
The Salt Lake Tribune

Public schools competing in the Mountain West Conference, on average, shell out $1,177 per student to subsidize their athletic programs, the costliest of the 11 conferences in the NCAA's 120-school Football Bowl Subdivision, according to a report released Monday.

That number is much bigger than per-student subsidies in the six power conferences enshrined in the Bowl Championship Series and illstrates the inequities that abound in intercollegiate sports, according to the report's authors. ...

JurisFrog

That is the most significant article I have read on this Board in quite some time.

Schools in the WAC and MWC are spending up to 40% of tuition collected on sports subsidies?!!? The WAC average is 17.3%, and the MWC average is 15.5%.

That is crazy money. I cannot imagine how schools in the WAC, who have absolutely no shot at being in a qualifier conference, can justify the expense.

I feel for Wyoming, spending 41% of tuition collected. If I were a U of Wyo student, I'd be pretty upset. But at least the gamble is a calculated one, as the MWC is so close to being an automatic qualifier. If Wyoming can hold out for two more years, then there is a great than 50% chance that they are getting BCS money, but only if the current configuration of the MWC stays intact.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that calling us the Bullfrogs was a shot.

I wonder how TCU's numbers match up?

froginaustin

QUOTE(JurisFrog @ Jun 2 2010, 08:21 AM) [snapback]567043[/snapback]
. . .
BTW, I'm pretty sure that calling us the Bullfrogs was a shot.

. . .

With Utah-BYU homer writers that is certainly possible.

With a Salt Lake City sports writer, it's also possible that he's doing the best he can, but that he knows no better.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Interesting ... the writer e-mail me and said the article is a draft and was not ready and intended for publication. He said the actual story would be posted tonight. He said calling us Bullfrogs was an unintentional mistake since he is not a sports writer. Also, he referred me to a report by the Center for College Affordability and Productivity.

West Coast Johnny

I'm surprised the cost is greater considering who foots the bill at State institutions - the Tax Payer. Here's a novel idea... instead of throwing money into the bottomless pit of an athletic department, maybe state institutions should fund educational programs. But then athletic programs would be a regional and not a national phenomena and what would ESPN do?