• The KillerFrogs

Ryan Newman/Daytona

Pretty scary. Looked like the car pretty much took a blow from another car coming full speed to the roof area right above the driver as he was upside down. Pretty exciting to have cars pushing each other at 200 mph but things can and do tend to go bad pretty quickly.

Hemingway

Hope he’s ok.

on a side note, NASCAR is going for big changes in 2021. Paddle shifters, 5 to 6 manufacturers, V6s , etc. no more gas can boys. Next-Gen stuff.

netty2424

Haven’t noticed or read anything on it and not really a big nascar fan outside of my favorite driver Cole Trickle, but any talk of Newman being wrecked out intentionally? I know bumping seems to happen fairly often, but there’s a line between bumping and intentionally wrecking out, no?

Shorty

Haven’t noticed or read anything on it and not really a big nascar fan outside of my favorite driver Cole Trickle, but any talk of Newman being wrecked out intentionally? I know bumping seems to happen fairly often, but there’s a line between bumping and intentionally wrecking out, no?
The video at the top of the thread misses the preceding action but Newman was blocking aggressively, trying to win. Neither of them really did anything wrong, it was more of a [ Finebaum ] happens at 200 mph kind of thing. I don't think he intentionally turned him.

Here's the seconds leading up to it

West Coast Johnny

I don't think either racer did anything wrong. Newman was aggresively blocking and the guys behind him were aggresively tring to win the race.

I'll say that Nascar needs to figure out how to finish a race. The final 13 laps of that race must have lasted 2 hours. Four crashes, I think. Took out most of the field. The cars are so safe that the drivers drive like idiots.

Eight

Hope he’s ok.

on a side note, NASCAR is going for big changes in 2021. Paddle shifters, 5 to 6 manufacturers, V6s , etc. no more gas can boys. Next-Gen stuff.

the next decade in auto racing will be very interesting in terms of the continued evolution of engines.

formula 1 cars are hybrids that use a combination of combustion and battery power, but some european countries are looking to ban the manufacturing and sale of combustion engines in the not so distant future.

proponents in britian are pushing for a deadline of 2035 for such a mandate with other countries discussing similar laws.

fia already has formula e that started i believe in 2014 and there are a couple of manufacturers in both circuits.

biggest complaint from friends who attend the race at cota in austin is the f1 cars just don't sound the same way they did when they attended the races at watkins glen. the other big issue is that the speed of vehicles just isn't the same among the f1 vehicles and the formula 3 vehicles.

will be very, very interesting to watch if and when such changes come to nascar and the indy cars.

I want to blame Denny Hamlin because he's a sleeve of wizard but it was pretty much a racing thing.

HToady

I don't think either racer did anything wrong. Newman was aggresively blocking and the guys behind him were aggresively tring to win the race.

I'll say that Nascar needs to figure out how to finish a race. The final 13 laps of that race must have lasted 2 hours. Four crashes, I think. Took out most of the field. The cars are so safe that the drivers drive like idiots.
It seems like every NASCAR race now days ends with a suicide lap or two resulting in numerous green, white, checkered restarts. Maybe they should just run 10 suicide laps followed by 10 restarts and it would take about the same amount of time as a regular race.
Not good for the sport.

Wexahu

It seems like every NASCAR race now days ends with a suicide lap or two resulting in numerous green, white, checkered restarts. Maybe they should just run 10 suicide laps followed by 10 restarts and it would take about the same amount of time as a regular race.
Not good for the sport.

The sport is dumb. A guy can be leading by 3/4 of a lap and then a guy in 35th place blows a tire, a yellow flag comes out, and the lead is instantly down to one car length. I know, it'd be even more boring if that wasn't the case but still. Not sure what the solution is but I think the sport reached it's peak about 10 years ago and people have gradually started to realize it's really not all that exciting.

Realtorfrog

Hamlin and Kyle Busch are the craziest drivers I’ve ever been around. They will bump draft going down the highway.... crazy scary as a passenger in a Vette.
J Johnson was so focused he was boring on race day. Stewart was hung over many a times, in the day he was the scanner to tune in to. Ryan was consistent, middle of the read crazy level but is a nice guy. Have to be a little lit crazy to do what they do! Never did much with Jr or Gordon but they didn’t like the publicity like the others. Harvick was fun as well but not on race day.

tcumaniac

Hamlin and Kyle Busch are the craziest drivers I’ve ever been around. They will bump draft going down the highway.... crazy scary as a passenger in a Vette.
J Johnson was so focused he was boring on race day. Stewart was hung over many a times, in the day he was the scanner to tune in to. Ryan was consistent, middle of the read crazy level but is a nice guy. Have to be a little lit crazy to do what they do! Never did much with Jr or Gordon but they didn’t like the publicity like the others. Harvick was fun as well but not on race day.

Please elaborate. Sounds like you're pretty directly implying that you regularly hang out with NASCAR drivers?

Realtorfrog

Please elaborate. Sounds like you're pretty directly implying that you regularly hang out with NASCAR drivers?
Not any longer but yes when it was extremely popular
Marketing and promotions for all the General Motors Brands 18 years ago. Yeah it was a blast