• The KillerFrogs

Run game/offensive line much bigger issue than QB play

BigPurple87

When I saw us drop back to pass on 4th and 1 on our last offensive play I shook my head. That's where you line up Robinson under center and sneak it for the 1st. What were we thinking?

That's pretty normal for our [ Finebaum ] offense. Our 2 yard call is a 15 yard pass play most of the time

Eight

I don't understand how we've gotten WORSE since the Ohio St game.

pretty simple actually,

first, teams have now seen on tempo what this line can and can not handle.

consider at the end of the first quarter tcu had 60+ yards rushing and room throwing the ball over the middle on the crosses and in routes. for the game tcu ended up with just over 120 yards so 60 in the last 3 quarters

second half tech starts pressing the receivers to take away the inside releases and just come screaming on passing downs.

second, this is the third game cordel has not played and i wrote this last week and will say it again. the frogs have huge issues in their interior offensive line and there are no easy fixes.

not even sure why the frogs try to run play action because no defense has respected the inside run.

you have a young quarterback who is trying to learn and is pressing on every play. you can see the kid's confidence draining away as he is struggling to make things happens.

third, you mix in an entire group of young receivers in stephens, meeking ,davis, and hunt who we haven't seen play in weeks and now are getting big minutes. davis had 5 catches for the game. problem is they are learning now instead of having 5 games under their belt prior to this one.

Mean Purple

QB is a big part of killing the run game as well. Bad decisions on zone reads. Terrible exchanges including bumping the hips of RB’s. Tonight we saw a poor pitch. There is nothing crisp anywhere on O
I'm not sure of a good team in the country where he would still be starting.

Mean Purple

He is running for his life because when he walks up to the line of scrimmage he has no idea what is coming at him. Totally unprepared and always reactive. That is why he is scrambling around. Doesn't know when the blitz is coming and can't step up in the pocket. Just awful QB reads. Doesn't even throw to the outlet on the blitz.. He is just not smart at reading defenses. That makes offensive lines look a whole lot worse when your qb is not reading the D. Sorry.
He is a great athlete and that helped him get away with it in high school. Different game now. Does not take much tape for a DC to figure out how to go at this.

It is amazing how many drives have been killed near scoring position. It is also amazing they in an offense that uses misdirection and usually has a man open, qb can't seem to find him.

Planks

Closer to 2013.

2013 we played well in a loss to LSU just like Ohio state this year and were optimistic going forward because we played well despite the loss. Then we just got worse and worse until the last 3 games of the year, wasting a Top 10 defense with an offense led by a young, erratic but atheltically gifted QB that couldn't figure things out until the 2nd to last game against K State.

Another comparison to 2013 would be the confusion by fans as to why the back up quarterback wasn’t getting a chance. I remember people being absolutely baffled that coaches weren’t giving Tyler Matthews a chance, that there was no way he could play any worse than Boykin. The coaches only let Tyler Matthews attempt one pass the entire season, despite an offense that seemed to be impossibley innept. (Only scoring 10 against a terrible tech defense, going three and out six possessions in a row against OU, etc.)

Moral of the story, when coaches don’t give the back up a chance, it’s usually because they feel there’s a 0% chance he is better than the starter.

Closer to 2013.

led by a young, erratic but atheltically gifted QB that couldn't figure things out until the 2nd to last game against K State.

I think you might be misremembering, Pachall took over the QB job after coming back from injury.

Last edited:

LVH

Another comparison to 2013 would be the confusion by fans as to why the back up quarterback wasn’t getting a chance. I remember people being absolutely baffled that coaches weren’t giving Tyler Matthews a chance, that there was no way he could play any worse than Boykin. The coaches only let Tyler Matthews attempt one pass the entire season, despite an offense that seemed to be impossibley innept. (Only scoring 10 against a terrible tech defense, going three and out six possessions in a row against OU, etc.)

Moral of the story, when coaches don’t give the back up a chance, it’s usually because they feel there’s a 0% chance he is better than the starter.

Exactly

Everyone thinks that since the coaches are saying the QB battle was close, it means Collins must be good

Maybe the QB battle was close because they both sucked.

Foster Swayer was the same way. In the chances he got he wasn't good. He isn't even doing well at SFA