• The KillerFrogs

Rule Change Needed

Wexahu

Sorry for starting a new thread but didn't know where else to put this. I'm noticing more and more that officials are very slow to blow the whistle when runners forward progress has stopped, and then a bunch of teammates come over and push a huge pile for extra yards. It's becoming a little too common to where something needs to change. First, refs need to be quicker to blow the whistle, this waiting until a huge mob of players converges and then waiting for the pile to stop is dumb, and probably dangerous. If defenders are going to be penalized for launching and targeting and in theory encouraged to "wrap up" instead, then the officials need to stop the play once the runner is wrapped up. Second, pushing a runner shouldn't be allowed. That seems so basic that I can't believe it already isn't illegal.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
2016 Arkansas disagrees with this post.

Completely agree with the late whistle, it's becoming excessive and I'm not sure where this change is coming from, NCAA or Conference Office.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
2016 Arkansas disagrees with this post.

Completely agree with the late whistle, it's becoming excessive and I'm not sure where this change is coming from, NCAA or Conference Office.
It’s not just this conference. I’ve seen it in all sorts of games this year. It seems like if there continues to be forward progress, they let it keep moving. Dangerous for sure.

helcap

Assisting the ball carrier by pushing him etc was a penalty prior to 2014 season. Not exactly ancient history. Agree that it has not been for the better with the "scrums" it causes.

Mean Purple

Sorry for starting a new thread but didn't know where else to put this. I'm noticing more and more that officials are very slow to blow the whistle when runners forward progress has stopped, and then a bunch of teammates come over and push a huge pile for extra yards. It's becoming a little too common to where something needs to change. First, refs need to be quicker to blow the whistle, this waiting until a huge mob of players converges and then waiting for the pile to stop is dumb, and probably dangerous. If defenders are going to be penalized for launching and targeting and in theory encouraged to "wrap up" instead, then the officials need to stop the play once the runner is wrapped up. Second, pushing a runner shouldn't be allowed. That seems so basic that I can't believe it already isn't illegal.
I'm glad I'm not even remotely the only one seeing this. It has gotten pretty bad. If the defensive player takes the kid down in that situation, he risks getting a call. Either blow the whistle or don't flag the defensive player for what could be argued playing too agressive.

Wexahu

I'm glad I'm not even remotely the only one seeing this. It has gotten pretty bad. If the defensive player takes the kid down in that situation, he risks getting a call. Either blow the whistle or don't flag the defensive player for what could be argued playing too agressive.

Exactly. I guarantee you if some defender came barreling into the pile full speed while the scrum is happening to try and get people to the ground he'd be flagged for unnecessary roughness. But if they aren't going to blow the whistle he shouldn't be.

Horny4TCU

It would be nice if they would just enforce targeting... that is the definition of targeting. *cough* Turpin *cough*

tcudoc

I will get with Wes and see if we can get that rule changed. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

BABYFACE

I will get with Wes and see if we can get that rule changed. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I don’t believe you. Wes loves all things Australian. I bet he is behind in getting the rule change to allow the rugby style scrum in CFB.

Well they banned pulling a player.

It is a dangerous play, I think they do it due to them being told to hold off on whistle in case fumbles are returned. If the blow it dead they can’t review it. If defense gets a flag for slamming into pile offense should get it to!