• The KillerFrogs

Ross Blacklock

Dogfrog

We are at the point in our recruiting cycle that we have depth. If this happened early in our big 12 years, it would be a season ended.

Coach p knows we have depth and he is the best defensive mind on the planet, he will figure something out.

GP will adjust the defense to the new reality. We will definitely miss the disruptive potential of Blacklock but if we can just get solid play from a rotation of players, adjustments can be made.

Sebastian S

Wouldn't that be covered under "almost any Frog"?
That was just 1 example, just turns out to be the potential starting QB.

How was that assumption made? That he put in more work than most any frog?

It discredits other players that may have put in a lot of work but may not get recognition because they aren't a star, yet.

An expeditious reshaping of the interior of the defensive line now becomes a major priority. A unique opportunity for

a player formally destine to serve in a reserve role to step up and make his mark.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Already a fine day. I'm sitting at breakfast in Boulder, and that crawl runs across the TV. I hollered "[ Finebaum ]!" and all eyes moved over at me...

Eight

Well, ok, if you say so. They are listed at those weights. Blacklock was listed at 6’4”, 329 lbs. I’d bet you anything you want that if Broadnax and Tuua went to the NFL combine tomorrow both would be under 6’0”, and Bethley and Ellis might barely be 6’0”. Having good size isn’t just about weight. Agree to disagree, but RB is the one kid we have (had) who has prototype size for an interior D-lineman. Doesn’t mean those other guys can’t get the job done, but we’ll have to do it a bit differently.

nice change of direction after being face with information instead of hysteria.

joe is at best 6' and would agree about tuua. bethley is over 6' and so is ellis. thing is we have played some pretty good defense with "shorter" d-tackles. chucky hunter was at or near 6' and davion wasn't much taller yet somehow they held up inside fairly well.

funny thing is you don't have to have nfl prototype size to be an effective college defensive tackle. poona ford at texas was the key to their interior defense and was just at if not less than 6'. do we want to work through the list of great college interior linemen who didn't have prototypical nfl size?

yes, it would be damn nice to have big ross this year and the only regret i have in his injury is for him. kid has busted his ass to get ready and the season gets taken away just like that. doesn't seem fair, but we say that sports help prepare for life and life takes a great deal more from people each day in each crueler fashion so time to press forward.

i am now even more curious to see the tcu defense as guys like cooper, ellis 3, and iziah are going to get snaps they might not have gotten and they are going to do so under a damn good position coach in fitch.

Wexahu

joe is at best 6' and would agree about tuua. bethley is over 6' and so is ellis. thing is we have played some pretty good defense with "shorter" d-tackles. chucky hunter was at or near 6' and davion wasn't much taller yet somehow they held up inside fairly well.

funny thing is you don't have to have nfl prototype size to be an effective college defensive tackle. poona ford at texas was the key to their interior defense and was just at if not less than 6'. do we want to work through the list of great college interior linemen who didn't have prototypical nfl size?

yes, it would be damn nice to have big ross this year and the only regret i have in his injury is for him. kid has busted his ass to get ready and the season gets taken away just like that. doesn't seem fair, but we say that sports help prepare for life and life takes a great deal more from people each day in each crueler fashion so time to press forward.

i am now even more curious to see the tcu defense as guys like cooper, ellis 3, and iziah are going to get snaps they might not have gotten and they are going to do so under a damn good position coach in fitch.

I get accused of loving to disagree and I admit that it probably comes across that way, but man, people hate agreeing with me too.

I'm not going to respond to this other than to say I basically agree with what you're saying, I think our guys can get the job done. When compared to other major P5 contender interior defensive lines though we're probably going to be a bit undersized, whereas with RB we wouldn't have been (maybe for the first time ever).

Rose Bowl

I fall in the category that the coaches will make adjustments that will help the team win. I don’t think we can replace Ross, because IMO he’s the best we’ve had at the position since Chucky, but that with rotation and adjustments we can be pretty solid. Tough break and wish Ross a speedy recovery and can’t wait to see him next year.

LeagueCityFrog

I fall in the category that the coaches will make adjustments that will help the team win. I don’t think we can replace Ross, because IMO he’s the best we’ve had at the position since Chucky, but that with rotation and adjustments we can be pretty solid. Tough break and wish Ross a speedy recovery and can’t wait to see him next year.

Davion Pierson was pretty good. See Peach Bowl for details. His attitude with Paul Dawson set the tone on the 2014 team.

I think tomorrow is maybe the last hard core day of the fall preseason practice schedule if I remember correctly, so hopefully no more gut wrenching injuries to key players. Here I am thinking pretty optimistically with the Ohio State coaching mess pulling into town in 5 weeks then this gut punch. Good programs keep finding ways to win and we will too. Reminder, we got a starter back in Ray I. at safety this August too.

LeagueCityFrog

Someone want to put on here what they think the new educated guess updated depth chart 2 deep is now with all the good and tough things we've heard so far this fall. When Gary said Shawn can get himself out of trouble well, that right there told me the QB situation is near decided. He said the same thing about Boykin in 2014 as a big plus. We will see both QBs in first halves this year for sure.

Eight

Did we bring in any DTs in this class? If we run out of bodies at this position, is there a chance we move over a olinemen?

izaih filikitonga is the sole freshman d-tackle in this class after the frogs missed on coburn and the kid from katy.

could they move an o-lineman? maybe, but i am not sure we have any that move well enough. if they had to make a move i would guess the more likely move would be collier inside, but he is down below 270 at this time.

right now the frogs have corey, cooper, broadnax, ellis 3, tu'ua, and izaih listed at d-tackle on the depth chart. frankly i can't recall ever being that deep and don't think it is time to make a panic driven move

FrogLifeYo

I suppose on passing downs you’ll see LJ drop down inside some..We have depth and some experience to lean on but Ellis III and Cooper have to step up and grow up fast...You won’t get through a season without 4-5 DTs getting a ton of playing time.

Mean Purple

We get way too many key off season injuries in camp.
Balance and stability work in the offseason can't be overstated. Especially some of the core (abdominal) and hip control muscles that actually help increase control for the joints and the knees and ankles. A boot is no substitute cycled stretching.

MinFrog

Also, considering how deep we are at LB, I would expect quite a bit more 3-3-5 lineups. Ty Summers as your third linebacker is like having another DE on the field.

I think Collier - Bethley - Banogu / Summers - Evans - Johnson can do a pretty damn good job of controlling a run game.

4 Oaks Frog

Blacklock is a big loss no doubt but I bet one of the other BIG dudes will fill in and step up and be great. Let's not despair just yet.

Never seen that many letters on one page without any caps. Thank goodness there is punctuation!

Just messin’ with you, Eight. Love your stuff!

GO FROGS!
BEAT tosu!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe] & caps!!

Casey T

6'4 330lbs... no other player on the team was so much bigger than everyone else at their respective position. Super bummed but GP & co. will find a way

texas_sicilian

Severed my achilles in a soccer game several years ago (was on cipro, which apparently has been known to weaken tendons). Such a freak thing.

Not sure if that’s in fact what happened to him, but the healing/comfort process is actually pretty quick, it’s the strength training that takes so long.

Last edited: