• The KillerFrogs

Rivals 100 for 2011: Is this the year CGP breaks through?

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recr...kings/rank-2640

I rag on Rivals ranking, ratings, writers, etc as much as anyone and for good reason, plus I enjoy it. However, as fans we cannot help but excited when the coaches land a 4 star recruit as opposed to a 2 star even though the 2 star may prove to be the much better recruit in the long run. Rivals is definitely the promo king in recruiting for this area and to land a top 100 national recruit from their list would definitely get people to stand up and take notice. The closest the current staff has come was when Waymon James ended up #103 on their final list, so will they finally get a Top 100 this year (not that it will ultimately matter because these lists suck)?

Of the players on the list the coaches currently have offers out to the following uncommitted:

10 Malcolm Brown
13 Mike Bellamy
35 Greg Townsend JR
43 LaDarius Brown
70 Bobby Hart
85 Wayne Lyons
98 Todd Barr

It appears that Malcolm Brown & Mike Bellamy are no longer considering TCU or at least considered in their list of top programs they are considering. Townsend still looks to be a heavy USC lean but will visit and hopefully coaches can make an impact on his decision. LaDarius Brown has been quiet lately but TCU has been a school he has had near the top for a while. Bobby Hart looks to be also a USC kind of guy but at least is still listening. Wayne Lyons is a great kid and has a great head on his shoulders but TCU doesn't look to be the program in his future. And finally Todd Barr who should move up the list has TCU close to the top.

So it looks like TCU has a decent shot at either Barr or Townsend and a very good shot at LaDarius Brown.

the dutchman

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Jun 2 2010, 10:06 AM) [snapback]567153[/snapback]
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recr...kings/rank-2640

I rag on Rivals ranking, ratings, writers, etc as much as anyone and for good reason, plus I enjoy it. However, as fans we cannot help but excited when the coaches land a 4 star recruit as opposed to a 2 star even though the 2 star may prove to be the much better recruit in the long run. Rivals is definitely the promo king in recruiting for this area and to land a top 100 national recruit from their list would definitely get people to stand up and take notice. The closest the current staff has come was when Waymon James ended up #103 on their final list, so will they finally get a Top 100 this year (not that it will ultimately matter because these lists suck)?

Of the players on the list the coaches currently have offers out to the following uncommitted:

10 Malcolm Brown
13 Mike Bellamy
35 Greg Townsend JR
43 LaDarius Brown
70 Bobby Hart
85 Wayne Lyons
98 Todd Barr

It appears that Malcolm Brown & Mike Bellamy are no longer considering TCU or at least considered in their list of top programs they are considering. Townsend still looks to be a heavy USC lean but will visit and hopefully coaches can make an impact on his decision. LaDarius Brown has been quiet lately but TCU has been a school he has had near the top for a while. Bobby Hart looks to be also a USC kind of guy but at least is still listening. Wayne Lyons is a great kid and has a great head on his shoulders but TCU doesn't look to be the program in his future. And finally Todd Barr who should move up the list has TCU close to the top.

So it looks like TCU has a decent shot at either Barr or Townsend and a very good shot at LaDarius Brown.

Waxahachie Highs LaDarius Brown is the real deal. He can go up and get a ball and he has speed and size. Also plays safety on defense and excels at that. Also can return punts and kick offs. 6'3" 200 lbs 4.4 speed. He would look good in purple. Word around Waxahachie is that he has offers on the table from TCU, Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M , Baylor, SMU and Texas Tech with more offers on the way. Word also is the Whorns have not offered yet. Would love to see this guy as a frog. Have watched him for many years mature in Waxahachie. Word is he wants to stay close to home.

Goo

I like any recruit with a "La" to start their name...... LaMarcus McDonald, LaTarence Dunbar, & LaDainian Tomlinson....all recent Frogs who went on to the NFL

Just not LaToya

latoya-jackson.jpg

57Frog

Who is the safety we have here that might push Luttrell for playing time or starting ?
freshman ,I understand .

talor

QUOTE(57Frog @ Jun 2 2010, 11:31 AM) [snapback]567171[/snapback]
Who is the safety we have here that might push Luttrell for playing time or starting ?
freshman ,I understand .

I am fairly sure you asked this question not too long ago... Oh well, Jurrell Thompson is the name you are looking for and he is a true soph now.

West Coast Johnny

Going by memory, I believe that TCU landed the number one rated defensive recruit in the country in 1985. His last name was Phoenix. I can't remember his first name. He was out of Minnesotta and was somehow related to coach Wacker. He showed up on campus and we all found out that he had a serious back injury that needed surgery. He never played a down for TCU and then transferred to Minnesotta when Wacker took the Gopher job.

Does anyone remember the mysterious Mr. Phoenix? I'm sure I got the details all wrong.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ Jun 2 2010, 12:22 PM) [snapback]567201[/snapback]
Going by memory, I believe that TCU landed the number one rated defensive recruit in the country in 1985. His last name was Phoenix. I can't remember his first name. He was out of Minnesotta and was somehow related to coach Wacker. He showed up on campus and we all found out that he had a serious back injury that needed surgery. He never played a down for TCU and then transferred to Minnesotta when Wacker took the Gopher job.

Does anyone remember the mysterious Mr. Phoenix? I'm sure I got the details all wrong.

Tim Schade, quarterback. Pekin, Il. Played one year for Uncle Jim (held single season mark for completion %), then transferred to UMinn when Wacker left in 1991.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 2 2010, 10:30 AM) [snapback]567206[/snapback]
Tim Schade, quarterback. Pekin, Il. Played one year for Uncle Jim (held single season mark for completion %), then transferred to UMinn when Wacker left in 1991.

I don't think its the same guy. Oh well, I was drunk in the late 80s.

Genbukan

Rob Phenix - Parade All American from Mn - about 6'7". Never panned out.

It's fun to follow recruiting but it is an art, not a science

talor

The ESPNU 150 also came out today. We do not have a player in the top 150, however Gildon was one of about 10 guys that they say just missed the cut. They give good praise to both TCU and Gildon. Gildon is rated as the #8 OLB.

Most players mentioned above in this thread are also on the list.

I prefer the ESPNU ratings hands down over Rivals because they give you full write ups of most of the prospects.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/t...amp;season=2011

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(TCUTalor @ Jun 2 2010, 01:42 PM) [snapback]567256[/snapback]
The ESPNU 150 also came out today. We do not have a player in the top 150, however Gildon was one of about 10 guys that they say just missed the cut. They give good praise to both TCU and Gildon. Gildon is rated as the #8 OLB.

Most players mentioned above in this thread are also on the list.

I prefer the ESPNU ratings hands down over Rivals because they give you full write ups of most of the prospects.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/t...amp;season=2011

Had mentioned previously that Gildon is really starting to get a lot of attention. Probably the most under-valued recruit by Rivals.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Jun 2 2010, 07:50 PM) [snapback]567308[/snapback]
Had mentioned previously that Gildon is really starting to get a lot of attention. Probably the most under-valued recruit by Rivals.

Is this Gildon related to the Steelers great Jason Gildon?

An-Cap Frog

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 2 2010, 12:30 PM) [snapback]567206[/snapback]
And the mascot of Pekin used to be....

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(George F. Will @ Jun 2 2010, 03:48 PM) [snapback]567346[/snapback]

I won't spoil the surprise.

:biggrin:

rynosdad

QUOTE(George F. Will @ Jun 2 2010, 03:48 PM) [snapback]567346[/snapback]

Does it rhyme with winks?