• The KillerFrogs

RIP Kobe Bryant

ETXFrog

Ticket Exchange Pass
I read something earlier that quoted an aviation “expert” as saying that mechanical failure was unlikely, in large part because it was a twin engine copter.

I am not a pilot, but work in the helicopter industry. I do not believe it was engine failure based on the impact of the aircraft and how there was basically nothing left. Also pilots can perform autorotation during engine failure.

I actually got to go up with a pilot a few weeks ago and I sat in the co-pilot seat. He let me take over at 3000 feet for a few minutes and it was incredible and extremely challenging. When auto pilot is off, you literally have to use both hands and both feet to control the aircraft. Piloting a helicopter is not easy.

based on the ATC recording and him flying with SVFR and not IFR I think it was pilot error that he flew straight into the hill.

Kobe and everyone onboard other than the pilot may have not even known they were crashing until impact.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I read something earlier that quoted an aviation “expert” as saying that mechanical failure was unlikely, in large part because it was a twin engine copter.

Right but the faa registry only shows one PT-6 engine registered for this aircraft. If there's 2 engines, they have 2 serial numbers and will show up on the faa registry. Having said that, there was some fairly major recertification of this 1995 aircraft in 2015; maybe that involved a conversion to dual turbines, Steel don't know. Would have to order the aircraft file to see that.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I am not a pilot, but work in the helicopter industry. I do not believe it was engine failure based on the impact of the aircraft and how there was basically nothing left. Also pilots can perform autorotation during engine failure.

I actually got to go up with a pilot a few weeks ago and I sat in the co-pilot seat. He let me take over at 3000 feet for a few minutes and it was incredible and extremely challenging. When auto pilot is off, you literally have to use both hands and both feet to control the aircraft. Piloting a helicopter is not easy.

based on the ATC recording and him flying with SVFR and not IFR I think it was pilot error that he flew straight into the hill.

Kobe and everyone onboard other than the pilot may have not even known they were crashing until impact.

They had clear air for a couple hundred feet but were going at 180 kts (exceeding vdne) and one estimate says they knew what was goign on in terms of ground approaching very fast for about 3 seconds

HFrog12

I am sorry to hear.

If our pilots say "no" we don't go. That said, I've hopped off other ppls planes bc of the pressure placed on the pilot to "go" in unfavorable conditions (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Avjet_Aspen_crash). Not worth it.

Humble brag - just giving you a hard time. That Aspen approach is a hairy landing even in "good" conditions (i.e. daytime and no fog). Winds and altitude can make it a challenge. Sorry for the loss if you knew people on that flight.

Humble brag - just giving you a hard time. That Aspen approach is a hairy landing even in "good" conditions (i.e. daytime and no fog). Winds and altitude can make it a challenge.
Did not intend to be - reread it and saw that it could come across as such (I edited the post to remove it) - apologies.

HFrog12

Did not intend to be - reread it and saw that it could come across as such (I edited the post to remove it) - apologies.

I was just ribbing you man. No need to apologize or remove your post. People shouldn't have to apologize for their good fortune. I also didn't mean to be insensitive in the event you knew the passengers, as I hope that was apparent in my original reply.

LisaLT

I read somewhere that the pilot was flying too low and that even LAPD choppers were grounded that morning due to visibility issues. I live probably 15 to 20 miles from where this happened, and the coastline was totally socked in - very foggy conditions. It's hard to believe any of the 9 passengers - especially the pilot - thought it was a good idea to fly - especially with 3 young children on board. Why risk your life and that of your child?? I hate flying even on a clear sunny day. Any bit of fog and I would be NO WAY JOSE am I getting on that chopper.

netty2424

Interesting story on The Ticket today told by Jake, via Dan McDowell, about the mentality of some of these stars.

Dan is from Cleveland so he’s got ‘sports contacts’ back home. One of his buddies/contacts told him a story about being on the Cleveland Cavs plane on a team flight.

Something happened, extreme turbulence, and it shook everybody up pretty bad. Several guys were playing cards and it stopped the card game down as guys were getting themselves together.

Legend has it LeBron yelled something along the lines of “deal another scheissing hand, no way this plane goes down with LeBron James on board!”