• The KillerFrogs

Report on Luken Baker's baseball progress

Leap Frog

He is in the Florida State League, playing for the Palm Beach Cardinals as a first baseman.
Baker is rated as the # 27 prospect in the St. Louis organization.
He is not moving up very fast since starting out at # 15-- hopefully that will change, he is just 22.
They still like his size and range, so we (me for sure) can hope for success for the big guy.

Billy Clyde

Has he ever tried pitching again, or did he or his doctors finally decide his arm wouldn't hold up? Seems like I recall some pretty impressive velocity as well as decent movement.

Leap Frog

Has he ever tried pitching again, or did he or his doctors finally decide his arm wouldn't hold up? Seems like I recall some pretty impressive velocity as well as decent movement.
The Cards look at him as a position player and batter only. Guess his pitching days are over, at least for now--but things change.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The Cards look at him as a position player and batter only. Guess his pitching days are over, at least for now--but things change.
Many a player has kept a career going by learning a new wrinkle, even learning to pitch. He would be a guy who brings more than one talent to a roster.

Billy Clyde

Just like Jose Canseco. He could have been a soccer player the way he head butted that baseball over the outfield fence.

One of my favorite baseball memories involves Jose... GF took me with her to Boston on a work trip, stayed at whatever that ancient hotel is by the commons that has Legal Seafood on the ground floor...
They also have a ticket booth there, basically a brick-and-mortar scalper... The Canseco-McGuire A's were in town, so we decided to go. Stopped off at said ticket booth, asked what they had, threw me a ridiculous number, and I said, "Is that face price???" Arsehole Bastin dude says, "Where you from that you pay face price- - -No- - - Where you from in TEXAS that you pay face price???"
I tell him, the part of Texas where we don't overpay for tickets, and he might try some olive oil to make them go down easier when he eats them.
We get on the train, get off at whatever the stop is, and within a block of walking to Fenway, I had bought great seats, just under the overhang above first base, for guess what, face price.
Fenway is an absolute cathedral. I got chills walking in. Still do, just thinking about it.
Every time Canseco comes up to bat, he's got 50 thousand Bostonians chanting, "HO-Zay.... HO-Zay... YOU! SUCK!!!"
First two times at bat, it gets to him. He strikes out, gets hooted off the field. Comes up in either the 8th or 9th, Sox leading, and yoinks one over the Green Monster for what winds up being the margin of victory. Never cared for the guy, but that was epic.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
One of my favorite baseball memories involves Jose... GF took me with her to Boston on a work trip, stayed at whatever that ancient hotel is by the commons that has Legal Seafood on the ground floor...
They also have a ticket booth there, basically a brick-and-mortar scalper... The Canseco-McGuire A's were in town, so we decided to go. Stopped off at said ticket booth, asked what they had, threw me a ridiculous number, and I said, "Is that face price???" Arsehole Bastin dude says, "Where you from that you pay face price- - -No- - - Where you from in TEXAS that you pay face price???"
I tell him, the part of Texas where we don't overpay for tickets, and he might try some olive oil to make them go down easier when he eats them.
We get on the train, get off at whatever the stop is, and within a block of walking to Fenway, I had bought great seats, just under the overhang above first base, for guess what, face price.
Fenway is an absolute cathedral. I got chills walking in. Still do, just thinking about it.
Every time Canseco comes up to bat, he's got 50 thousand Bostonians chanting, "HO-Zay.... HO-Zay... YOU! SUCK!!!"
First two times at bat, it gets to him. He strikes out, gets hooted off the field. Comes up in either the 8th or 9th, Sox leading, and yoinks one over the Green Monster for what winds up being the margin of victory. Never cared for the guy, but that was epic.
any time Boston loses, it's a good day

Billy Clyde

any time Boston loses, it's a good day

Unless it's against the Yanks...
Another favorite baseball-related moment, I was in Boston for the Harvard-Yale football game(bucket list-must do) with a GF who was a staunch Yankees fan, had grown up in NYC. We were in the North End in Boston, she was showing me an Italian restaurant she had fallen in love with the day before, and there was Bubble Boy standing outside wearing jeans and a black t-shirt with huge block letters: "JETER LOVES [ the old ricardo ]." I made her pose for a pic with him, she was beyond pissed at me for the remainder of the trip. Totally worth it.

Frog DJ

My son and I took a father/son trip to Cleveland to visit the Rock n Roll HOF and the Pro Football HOF, but we arrived early enough on Friday to attend an Indians home game that night.

Charles Nagy was pitching for the Tribe, and David Wells for the Yankees. We had no stake in the outcome; we just wanted the experience, and what an experience it turned out to be!

A seriously over-served Cleveland fan decided it would be funny if he yelled, "Wells is fat! Nagy is skinny!" each and every time Wells simply stepped on the dirt of the pitcher's mound.

He was relentless! He yelled the same phrase non-stop for the entire time Wells had so much as one foot in the dirt. Everyone our section thought it was hilarious, but Wells did not.

As the bottom of the third began Wells slowly walked out to the bump, and hesitated briefly before actually stepping on the dirt, but as soon as he did the barrage began all over again.

You could see Wells' shoulders slump, and he physically seemed to collapse from within, as he bent over at the waist, slammed both hands on his knees and dropped his head in resignation.

The whole section went nuts, and Wells just turned to the guy and tipped his cap. Eventually the drunk succumbed to the alcohol that had so obviously inspired his antics, and he stopped.

But not before he clearly lived rent free in Wells' head for several innings.

Go Frogs!

Billy Clyde

My son and I took a father/son trip to Cleveland to visit the Rock n Roll HOF and the Pro Football HOF, but we arrived early enough on Friday to attend an Indians home game that night.

Charles Nagy was pitching for the Tribe, and David Wells for the Yankees. We had no stake in the outcome; we just wanted the experience, and what an experience it turned out to be!

A seriously over-served Cleveland fan decided it would be funny if he yelled, "Wells is fat! Nagy is skinny!" each and every time Wells simply stepped on the dirt of the pitcher's mound.

He was relentless! He yelled the same phrase non-stop for the entire time Wells had so much as one foot in the dirt. Everyone our section thought it was hilarious, but Wells did not.

As the bottom of the third began Wells slowly walked out to the bump, and hesitated briefly before actually stepping on the dirt, but as soon as he did the barrage began all over again.

You could see Wells' shoulders slump, and he physically seemed to collapse from within, as he bent over at the waist, slammed both hands on his knees and dropped his head in resignation.

The whole section went nuts, and Wells just turned to the guy and tipped his cap. Eventually the drunk succumbed to the alcohol that had so obviously inspired his antics, and he stopped.

But not before he clearly lived rent free in Wells' head for several innings.

Go Frogs!

Lol while reading this in the can... Beautiful!