• The KillerFrogs

Report From Purdue

Froginbedford

My report, FWIW:

We drove down from Chicago and went the back way to W Lafayette through Indiana farm country. We saw lots of corn and soy bean fields and small towns that were proud of their high school football and fall festivals. Many churches.

We stopped in at a place near campus called Nine Irish Brothers which had fresh food and cold local beer. We watched some of the ND v UNM game then on to campus. I had a pass from stub hub for $40 and parked about 100 yards from the TCU alumni tailgate.

There were 300 or so Frog faithful at the tailgate. The food was pretty good: Pulled pork, taco salad and the like. The beer was cold and water and soft drinks were free with admission. We ran into a bunch of folks we knew, had a nice visit then on to the stadium.

There were easily 55K fans there fully ready to cheer for Purdue. There was nothing easy about coming into that atmosphere. Credit TCU for taking and keeping the crowd out of the game.

The stadium had all the typical old state school stadium problems: long lines for concessions, narrow concourse, no TVs to watch while in line, too few bathrooms & etc.

Every PU fan I met and all who sat near us were friendly and interested in how well we traveled to the game. I have the impression most were pretty vague about Fort Worth and TCU. Several fans...six, seven? ...mentioned that TCU just really outplayed the Boilermakers and kind of tossed in the loss of Sindelar. I’m not trying to negate some of y’all’s experiences but we have been to games all over the B12 as well as recently at Minn, SMU, Arky and Purdue and I’ve never had much of an issue with opposing fans.

Post game walk to the car and the drive back to Chicago were uneventful. I will say we walked by a men’s dorm called Owens which is not only unairconditioned but the rooms actually looked smaller and more spartan than some prison cells I have seen.

A good time.

My one Purdue experience was in 1998...of course, enough time has passed to allow changes...but, at that time all undergraduate dorms were unairconditioned....

Froglaw

Just made it to my couch.

Cowboys v. Redskins and a nap.

Once the T1 saw I was serious about the police, he backed off big time.

Every school has its share of over-zealous fans including TCU. Pros are worse.

Yes I've been to away games and dealt with stupid arse fans before, but T1 and T2 were by far the most physical.

While the temptation to shove a total stranger to the ground and beat the mud out of him, it's just not worth it.

I'm home, watching Sunday football, and enjoying a Frog win.

jake102

Worst two fans I’ve ever been around were TCU. One of them was an old dude who was pissed about us standing during the 2015 Baylor freeze out. He showed up after us when we were already standing and then proceeded to lose his mind a few minutes later. There were literally thousands of others seats to sit in but he sat three rows directly behind us. He screamed obscenities at us and called us all sorts of names and eventually went and told the police we were taking drugs to try and get us kicked out. Lolz. Police came and were laughing about it, said they had to at least ask us if we were using drugs.

Other was 2017 Big 12 CCG - guy clearly wasn’t a TCU student but acted like it. Got hugely drunk and screamed “turn up 2018” like 200 times. Eventually tried to fight an OU fan for no reason. I had to break it up before police arrested him

Worst two fans I’ve ever been around were TCU. One of them was an old dude who was pissed about us standing during the 2015 Baylor freeze out. He showed up after us when we were already standing and then proceeded to lose his mind a few minutes later. There were literally thousands of others seats to sit in but he sat three rows directly behind us. He screamed obscenities at us and called us all sorts of names and eventually went and told the police we were taking drugs to try and get us kicked out. Lolz. Police came and were laughing about it, said they had to at least ask us if we were using drugs.

Other was 2017 Big 12 CCG - guy clearly wasn’t a TCU student but acted like it. Got hugely drunk and screamed “turn up 2018” like 200 times. Eventually tried to fight an OU fan for no reason. I had to break it up before police arrested him

There were two drunk TCU youngs in the very crowded men’s room before the game screaming “Go Frogs!” It’s a bad look

Pharm Frog

Worst in-stadium fans I’ve ever encountered are easily the Tech fans at home and this pre-dates my TCU fandom. And, IMO you should have let him be arrested and get his ass beaten.

Virginia Frog

Been to UT, Tech, Baylor, SMU, and multiple bowl games. I’ve never come even remotely close to having an opposing fan get in my face or shove me. Maybe it’s just because they can tell I’m a badass.
I had a good experience at TCU @ UNC in '94. I took my getting elderly mother so I didn't want a "visitors ticket" and sit who-knows-where with the TCU crowd. I called the UNC ticket office and they gave me 10 yard line tickets just one step down from the concourse. Really not too bad - I was 100 yards from the TCU contingent. No hassles from the UNC group (they were convinced that the TCU boys were a "body bag.") Small world though, the guy directly in front of me in this sea of TarBabys was a TCU grad two years ahead of me - he lived in NC and had season tickets because his wife was a Carolina Blue grad. Small world. We were competitive and lost 17-27.

The next morning the townies who saw my TCU hat were VERY complementary of TCU's effort and most seemed to have a positive impression of the fb program. That was a resurgence year where the boys went to the Indy Bowl (otherwise known as the "Max Knake Hangover Bowl.")

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

Just made it to my couch.

Cowboys v. Redskins and a nap.

Once the T1 saw I was serious about the police, he backed off big time.

Every school has its share of over-zealous fans including TCU. Pros are worse.

Yes I've been to away games and dealt with stupid arse fans before, but T1 and T2 were by far the most physical.

While the temptation to shove a total stranger to the ground and beat the mud out of him, it's just not worth it.

I'm home, watching Sunday football, and enjoying a Frog win.

Once upon a time at Jones ATT Stadium (don’t think it was named that at the time though), I had the opportunity to visit with some of Lubbock’s finest after my friend and I were shoved down two rows of bleachers by a couple of drunk Aggies (knocking down multiple fans). While my friend’s wife went to get security, we went up and abruptly but politely ushered them to the ground until security arrived. Politely defined as doubtful any bones were broken although some skin irritation was apparent. We gave our statements (my friend through a mouthful of blood as he had broken some teeth in the fall) and they thanked us. Perhaps times have changed.

And that was only one of two altercations I’ve been involved in at that stadium. And both times I had no real rooting interest. Only time I’ve been back since was for an Aledo playoff game.

MTfrog5

Was asked to sit down during that 2015 game. I laughed and told him I’m not sitting while freezing my ass off. He left soon after

froginmn

Post game walk to the car and the drive back to Chicago were uneventful. I will say we walked by a men’s dorm called Owens which is not only unairconditioned but the rooms actually looked smaller and more spartan than some prison cells I have seen.

A good time.
Just curious, how did you know the rooms looked small and were not air conditioned, just from walking by?