• The KillerFrogs

Rent by college

Ron Swanson

Me and two buddies paid $780/month (total) from 2002-2004 for a 3 bedroom on Trail Lake just north of I-20.

What’s that neighborhood like now? Still kinda trashy or has it improved?

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Wonder if all 8 layers of fuss would be raised if that apartment chart was compared to the cost of the new TCU stealth dorms popping up all around campus, broken down by monthly/annual cost with rollover from the “renters” arriving & mostly graduating every 4 years combined with property management costs. Someone who’s good with Excel feel free to jump on that now during the summer college sports dead zone. It’s too hot to golf now anyway unless your T time is 0700 so get started before drummers report 3 August.

ShreveFrog

Too Damn High Rent GIF

"Da rent is too damn high!"

froginaustin

Unfortunately the Austin number is about right.
Except that apts remotely convenient to campus are more than that, and apts near campus or downtown are a lot more.
Zoning is a big reason. Height restrictions on buildings within 500 feet of a lot zoned sf residential are arguably reasonable for a city 1/4 Austin’s population (i.e. Austin 30 yrs ago) but push housing costs through the roof today.
Sad.

Double D

Tier 1
When I lived at Stonegate early 90s for TCU MBA, I think I paid $440/month for a shoebox 1 bedroom apartment. 400 sq ft if I remember correctly.

I just moved the niece into her new 1 bedroom apt in Fort Worth last weekend. She was downsizing from a 2 bedroom she shared in the same complex. Roommate getting married in July. I think she's paying $1700/month. Good Lord!