• The KillerFrogs

Remembering some GP teams - 2004 version (oof)

geefrogs

previous thread about 2003 team.

You gotta remember the good and the bad. This season was definitely one of the "bad". A 3-5 CUSA record. 5-6 total record. Our opponents averaged 34 PPG (!!!) one of the worst numbers in division one. Alas, lets take a look.

2004 NFL draft - just one, 7th round Bo Schobel to Tennessee.

2004 recap - instant replay made an appearance. Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East and joined the ACC and havent been seen from since. USC crushed OU (sorry Auburn) in the Orange Bowl and Matt Leinart wins the Heisman. (in 2011, the BCS was vacated after an investigation.)

C-USA team - 1st team, Anthony Alabi OT, Cody McCarty TE, Marvis Godbolt S
2nd team, Martin Patterson LB

50619.jpeg

geefrogs

First four games
Double OT win v. Northwestern 48-45
shutout v. SMU 44-0
thrashing in Lubbock which we all want to erase from our memories 70-35
Double OT loss at home vs. South Florida 45-44

(WARNING!!!! CRAIG JAMES is on the TCU game broadcast!!!!!)

a wild game, which would be an indicator of how sloppy our defense would be in 2004. Note: Northwestern would later defeat Ohio State.

the shutout of SMU reminded of the days when playing SMU was just a walk in the park. Those 2000's teams from other way were awful.

Which brings us to another question. Has a team ever shutout an opponent one week, and then gone on to give up 70 points the following week? Truly a remarkable feat.

Watching the highlights and the absolutely awful tackling really leads a person to drink. Whats also incredible? Tech was shutout in the first quarter. Sonny Cumbie had himself a day.

And then....it actually gets worse. The USF game was lost on a botched snap in OT. Also earlier a field goal blocked. Not saying Nick Browne wouldve helped but, maybe.

geefrogs

The middle part of the season wouldn't get any better. Strange how UAB was always a challenge for us, win or loss.

close win at Army 21-17
loss at UAB 41-25
win vs. Houston 34-27
loss at Cincy 21-10

The game in West Point was a special experience for those who went. The game started as a nightmare down 17-0 after 1st Qtr. Thankfully the 2nd half run game got going and we got a KYLE KUMMER sighting at QB! (it didnt go so well btw).

Shoutout to this homemade highlight reel when youtube was in its infancy stage.

UAB actually had a good football that season. They were rolling on us by halftime. Their QB absolutely flamed us.

hqdefault.jpg

Barely hanging on to a win versus UH that season was not great. They were awful, we were less awful. Gunn and Merrill had GREAT games though.

We would then come out flat against Cincy and some guy named Richard Hall rushed for about 150 against us. 4-4 at this point.

geefrogs

We sat at 4-4, 3 games left to get bowl eligible. Louisville, So Miss, and Tulane. Not easy by any means.

stomped by #12 Louisville, 55-28
maybe our best win vs. So Miss 42-17
sickening loss at home to Tulane 35-31
bit of a Wednesday night revenge game for Louisville. It really wasnt as close as the score showed. Tye Gunn was running for his life all game. Stefan Lefors looked like Matt Leinart against us. Brutal national TV game. Louisville would finish #6 that year.

1389207077003-lcjdc5-57y4lfwxsdlwpnumhf-original.jpg
(kick me)

The Southern Miss win was maybe Hassell best game. 3 rushing TDs and a nice one to Rodgers in the air. The defense FINALLY came back to life. A strong revenge game even though it wasnt the same So Miss from before.

Overall the defense was a bust but Martin Patterson remains one of the more unheralded Horned Frogs. A solid LB and part of a great line of LBs in GP reign.

75296.jpeg

the 35-31 loss to Tulane was tough. We had a 10 point lead with 9 minutes left and couldnt keep them out of the endzone twice. Truly the ending nobody wanted but maybe the one we deserved.

It was also a learning experience for the staff and players. Coming off a few successful seasons, maybe they thought it would come easily to them. Gary was still a young HC and maybe 2004 really was one of the best things to happen to this team.

Spike

My 2L year at STCL. Came home for the South Florida game. Ughhh. Skipped Criminal Procedure for the Louisville game on a Wesdnesday night. So glad we don't have those silly midweek games any more. The barteneder at the SRO by NW Mall in Houston set me up w a special tv for the Cinci game as I was the only one in the house watching that game. Should have come home for USM but the Tax professor decided to have the final review Monday after Thanksgiving rather than the Friday before. Frustrating season.

South Texas Frog

If Frogs had beaten Tulane, they would have gotten a bowl game, but I think it would have ended with an embarrassing loss....
IIRC we would've likely played in the FW Bowl (again) and it was FRIGID that year -- Marshall v. Cincy. I remember sitting at home with my folks enjoying some good bourbon by the fire and not being TOO upset we weren't playing at AGCS that night!

South Texas Frog

My 2L year at STCL. Came home for the South Florida game. Ughhh. Skipped Criminal Procedure for the Louisville game on a Wesdnesday night. So glad we don't have those silly midweek games any more. The barteneder at the SRO by NW Mall in Houston set me up w a special tv for the Cinci game as I was the only one in the house watching that game. Should have come home for USM but the Tax professor decided to have the final review Monday after Thanksgiving rather than the Friday before. Frustrating season.
Man...SRO takes me back!! Who did you have for Fed Tax -- Yamamoto? Easily the hardest class I've ever taken in my life and that include's Dr. Slattery's Weather and Climate!!

Spike

Man...SRO takes me back!! Who did you have for Fed Tax -- Yamamoto? Easily the hardest class I've ever taken in my life and that include's Dr. Slattery's Weather and Climate!!
I had Musselman. Loved him. Took him again for marital property and secured transactions. Kind of enjoyed it. We were working out of an actual codebook rather than the hodgepodge of common law BS from my first year plus he was my first openly conservative professor. 3 hours a week of how to not give the government your money legally. I was totally down with that.

Actually Ricks was pretty openly conservative but was such an arse I frequently wanted to punch him in the face. How do you take something as straightforward as contracts and make it complicated?

Last edited: