• The KillerFrogs

Remembering some GP teams - 2001

geefrogs

Would love to hear what yall remember from these teams. Thought I'd start where it all began. A 6-6 inaugural full season for Patterson.

Games that stand out:

- Big season opener on ABC versus big, bad Nebraska and Eric Crouch. Watched it in Clark Hall. Enjoyed seeing our defense hold them to 21 but our offense was clearly overmatched. 21-7 loss.

- followed up with a road game in Denton! Much smaller crowd and well, a 19-5 final score tells you all you need to know. (3 road games to start the season!)

- HOME OPENER in front of 30,000 fans! and we lost to Northwestern State in overtime. Man, that was a deflating experience for sure. 27-24

- We struggled through the C-USA schedule (loss at Tulane, loss to East Carolina, loss at UAB)

- end of the season, glimmer of hope. The victory over RANKED Louisville and then the slugfest over Southern Miss to get into a bowl game.

- The galleryfurniture.com bowl against Aggie in the Astrodome. The infamous CP game.

1228578.jpeg

geefrogs

Some guys to remember:

6120240.jpg
our QB, for better for worse.

1409.jpg
a young Ricky Madison, injuries would shut him down 2 years later.

a_madisetcu101202.jpg
Adrian Madise and LaTerence Dunbar had their moments.

sgw92Tda-BAYvcI29fwLegOIp3qU0yLAPejSnKd1Yd9lnzkgcQUb9q35mzeA4ykSzP0-ePODcnTvcdEVz3X-AvMTk3HvoHbFutiWqDat6J8
Matt Schobel. Didnt put up big numbers but ended up being drafted in the 3rd round by Cincy!!

geefrogs

LaMarcus McDonald makes the leap.

The secondary would be hot and cold all season. Jason Goss tried his best! Also a freshman would arrive Marvin Godbolt.

D-Line was scrappy with dudes like Robert Pollard, Bo Schobel and the 2 Chads.

Definitely a transition year for Patterson. Can you imagine going 6-6 like that your first year in todays climate? Sheesh.

Last edited:

Spike

Not a great year but my first year to have a normal schedule in forever. Saw all the home games plus all 4 Texas road trips. University of North Texas was my first Frog road game. Definitely played to the level of competition. Gave Nebraska fits and beat #17 Louisville here and USM at the Rock. Lost to NWLA and Tulane.

Also discovered Killerfrogs that year and have met a ton of great people on here.

Thanks for starting this post.

Zubaz

That Thursday night game against ECU was pretty fun. David Garrard was their QB. Stilley got the start of I recall, but was largely ineffective. Printers almost got us back but we came up a little short at the end.

Spike

That Thursday night game against ECU was pretty fun. David Garrard was their QB. Stilley got the start of I recall, but was largely ineffective. Printers almost got us back but we came up a little short at the end.

That game was so cold in the upper deck. Almost left at the half. Discovered that nice little vacuum under the upper deck where it was significantly warmer and toughed it out.

Shannon Locke

Me and my buddy actually drove up to watch the Nebraska game. Printers got hurt after the game was tied at 7. Thought we might have had a chance if he would have stayed healthy. Defense played great, Nebraska basically played the game on our side of the 50 but Godbolt had like 7 stops of Crouch for losses. Nebraska fans were actually yelling out to try to run now every time Godbolt left the game. Tough season overall, but the Frogs fought hard.

MTfrog5

I was camping and my dad and I watched the Nebraska game on a 12” TV with some foil on the antennas. Remember Crouch talking about how sore he would be and gave the defense tons of credit. Us beating I think ECU to finish the year gave Nebraska a boost in the bcs and to play Miami at the Rose Bowl

Zubaz

I was camping and my dad and I watched the Nebraska game on a 12” TV with some foil on the antennas. Remember Crouch talking about how sore he would be and gave the defense tons of credit. Us beating I think ECU to finish the year gave Nebraska a boost in the bcs and to play Miami at the Rose Bowl
Southern Miss. Great game.

geefrogs

If I remember correctly, this was our first year in CUSA. We had played So Miss in the 2000 Mobile Bowl and it always seemed that TCU and So Miss had the best D in the conference.

Zubaz

If I remember correctly, this was our first year in CUSA. We had played So Miss in the 2000 Mobile Bowl and it always seemed that TCU and So Miss had the best D in the conference.
Yeah, it was weird that our prior two bowl games were against ECU and Southern Miss then we were in their conference. Then we went to the Liberty Bowl against CSU and two years later we are in their conference. Then the first year in MWC we play a bowl game against Iowa State....

What I'm saying is that our bowl games against Stanford, Cal, and Oregon might be predictive.